Thread: Duo-Hammock

Hammock
    hook and bag double
    Tarp
    decathlon 3x3m
    Insulation
    snugpak underquilt
    Images
    Just throwing this idea out there, I have this idea about an extra wide hammock with an strap (adjustable?) running lengthways underneath that would allow the centre of the hammock to be raised to give a W profile. the centre of the W wouldnt need to be as high as the sides just high enough to keep the two channels.

My second thought on this, to take into consideration lying on the diag, would be a very wide hammock, lots of sag and the strap attached to the ridgeline towards each end so that the strap kind of corckscrews. It might mean head to foot sharing though.

If anybody thinks this might be a viable option and gets one made, please send the pictures to my ex-girlfriend who saw my interest in hammocks as evidence that i didnt want to be close to her anymore
    Last edited by Drop; 07-23-2007 at 13:18.

Hammock
    DIY - Depends on time of year.
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 cat cut
    Insulation
    Down/Synthetic
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Drop View Post
    Just throwing this idea out there, I have this idea about an extra wide hammock with an strap (adjustable?) running lengthways underneath that would allow the centre of the hammock to be raised to give a W profile. the centre of the W wouldnt need to be as high as the sides just high enough to keep the two channels.
    Sounds interesting. Slowhike mentioned something along these lines. I like the adjustable part.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    Pretty much ANY movement with 2 people is going to make the hammock go bouncy-bouncy. Moving around to get situated, rolling over in the night, etc. is going to involve more dynamic stress than a single person in a hammock. Even leaning over to give a good-night hug and kiss would have more movement in more directions than a single person would make. That extra movement combined with the added weight is what I am concerned about.

My reference is that I slept on a full wave waterbed for many, many years.
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 cat cut
    Insulation
    Down/Synthetic
    Images
    Yep.... My other problem I see is how to stablize the thing when one gets out.. I can handle all the extra forces I believe. (4200 pd straps etc.) but with all the playing I did today with two that I had and doing a temp job of attaching them together, the getting in and out with one already in ther puts me right back to the "yard hammock" problems.

Anybody for a game of flipper?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I usually tie two hammocks to the same trees...it's close enough, and the width of the tree provides separation so I don't need to carry a spreader bar. At least for my kids...haven't tried it with two adults in there yet. Pics of that near the bottom of this page, and in a few other of the trip reports.

Two hammocks are close enough together that I can touch my son, and our sides are usually touching a bit so it's warmer, but I don't bounce every time he rolls over. I always put myself on the windward side to act as a windblock for him.

Also, with two separate suspension systems, I can hang his lower than mine. Mine sags more when I get in b/c I'm heavier, so I can adjust it so we always end up side by side. If it were two hammocks on one suspension system, I'll always push him up higher than me b/c I weigh more.

But something I've been thinking about is putting two hammocks on one suspension system, then making a hammock sock to fit over both of them. That would be like a tent but we'd both have our own hammocks inside. Might need a spreader bar for that setup, though.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 cat cut
    Insulation
    Down/Synthetic
    Images
    Now this is what the forums are for... you just gave me an idea that I had not thought about. I hope it (the light) would have turned on one day.
    RE: kids... I had not thought about that aspect.... yes, I think that even if they are seperate hammocks (for all the reasons you stated) that this would settle the problem with the kids of feeling "out and all alone" when the tress are a little sparse.. Thanks for the kick in the brain!

I am sewing up a couple of test hammocks now and I am still wanting to try the idea of them being 1 unit. I can always rip the seems and have two more hammocks if it fails. lol

I like the adjustable center strap idea and I think it can be accomplished without much stress to the seams and very little strap material...

Thanks for the input! Keep it coming!

I'd be interested to hear updates from anyone who's been continuing with the double hammock projects. I am looking into something similar as well for an AT thru-hike. Has anyone got any project updates or unshared insights?

Cheers to the creative!

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 cat cut
    Insulation
    Down/Synthetic
    Images
    School is back in session and along with softball season so My summer of fun, hanging and sewing has abruptly ended.... DARN!... I accepted two coaching positions with the school this year. Cleaning up from last year and getting ready for our delayed season has pushed the limits of time.

I still have parts of the idea I had hanging in the garage and hope to level out here real soon and start working on it again. There does not seem to be too much interest in the Duo but I will post as soon as I discover my faults in the design or any advancements.

Thanks for your interest.

Double in the Works

I'd be interested to hear updates from anyone who's been continuing with the double hammock projects. I am looking into something similar as well for an AT thru-hike. Has anyone got any project updates or unshared insights?
    I am currently working on a hammock for two people. I had a girlfriend break up with me (a year ago) last Spring during a hammocking backpack trip. I have been working with the idea since then, but only started sewing it recently.

I am using tubular webbing with a rope through it for the divider as well as the lateral supports of the hammock. This is going to be a "Bridge Style" using two pairs of hiking poles. Two poles at the head will help stabilize the hammock when one of the people get out. Instread of each pole traversing the entire hammock width, each will go from one end to the midline divider.

I posted photos a couple of weeks ago of another hammock, one which uses a similar suspension to the one I am currently making for two pople. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?p=26932
    I posted last week on a "Byer Hammock conversion" which was a step towards working out the hammock design end caps which I will use for a double hammock, along with the other ideas offfered in this post- http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...7870#post27870

I plan on using a modified silshelter for the rainfly....

Talking

Hello all you happy hammock people.

Interesting thread, I liked Just Jeff's Picture of him and his son in their hammocks

I had an idea.

What about designing a duo hammock that can easily be converted into a two layer hammock?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast