Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Has anyone setup their tarp over the ridgeline with this system that utilizes the nama claws? That's how I usually do my setup, but I'm always willing to try new things. Really just wondering if you end up with something that looks really awkward.

Images
    Have not, but can't imagine it would be an issue. Looking at Anne Marie's photo from post #1:

The ridgeline kinks due to the cam-locking action of the claws. The whole tarp ridge would rest on the portion of the ridgeline between the 2 claws. I think virtually the only difference would be that the small CL's between the tarp D-rings and the claws would be at an upward angle rather than downward.

But again... have not tried it. Maybe I will, next time I play around with a tarp. I don't use CRL often, and even less often with the tarp over the CRL, but it would be worth trying before next winter.

Hammock
    Autumn Outdoor Gear
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Duster
    Insulation
    LSOH
    Suspension
    Autumn Ultralight

Introducing myself and a few of the items that I make. Autumn Ultralight

Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    Has anyone setup their tarp over the ridgeline with this system that utilizes the nama claws? That's how I usually do my setup, but I'm always willing to try new things. Really just wondering if you end up with something that looks really awkward.
    I’ve never set my tarp up above a ridgeline with NamaClaws or another hardware or with prussiks.

My understanding is that it can cause wear and tear on the tarp due to friction. Also, most tarps have a catenary cut on the ridgeline in addition to the side cuts. That catenary cut is there to ensure that the tarp tensions well and that there is no fabric flapping in the wind.

The picture below is one of my customers tarps with my ridgelines and tie outs with NamaClaws. It has a pretty pronounced catenary cut on on the ridgeline and if the continuous ridgeline was pitched below it the tarp wouldn’t function as the manufacturer intended.

My name is Anne Marie and I make things.
    www.autumnoutdoorgear.com

Images
    Good point about the cat cut on ridge seam, but if michigandave already pitches his tarp above the ridgeline, then he's used to whatever effect doing so would have on the tautness of his pitched tarp. The effect on his particular tarp would be the same whether he used Nama claws, prussiks, or whatever else to secure the tarp D-rings to the ridgeline.

Hammock
    Autumn Outdoor Gear
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Duster
    Insulation
    LSOH
    Suspension
    Autumn Ultralight

Introducing myself and a few of the items that I make. Autumn Ultralight

Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Good point about the cat cut on ridge seam, but if michigandave already pitches his tarp above the ridgeline, then he's used to whatever effect doing so would have on the tautness of his pitched tarp. The effect on his particular tarp would be the same whether he used Nama claws, prussiks, or whatever else to secure the tarp D-rings to the ridgeline.
    I say give it a try. Cedar Ridge Outdoors used one of my ridgelines on their display tarp at HangCon and said that he pitched it both above and below and that it worked.

In the first photo you can see the ridgeline above the tarp.

In this photo you can see it below the tarp. They do this and run the ridgeline below the pole mods to keep the poles in place. It seems to work either way. I have not tried it on any of my tarps yet though. I would still worry about wear and tear on the inside of the tarp.

Let me know how it goes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Coldautumndays; 04-09-2019 at 10:59.

Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I'm always open to trying new things.

I haven't really worried about abrasion from the ridgeline, since usually it's only hanging for an overnight. The longest I've had a tarp pitched is at a 4 day winter base camp with my SLD Winter Haven, with no ill effects on the material.

Just saw the previous post with above/below setup. I'm sold.

Sent from my LG-H740 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Autumn Outdoor Gear
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Duster
    Insulation
    LSOH
    Suspension
    Autumn Ultralight
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I'm always open to trying new things.

I haven't really worried about abrasion from the ridgeline, since usually it's only hanging for an overnight. The longest I've had a tarp pitched is at a 4 day winter base camp with my SLD Winter Haven, with no ill effects on the material.

That’s good to hear that it isn’t causing any damage.

Hammock
    DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldautumndays View Post
    I’ve never set my tarp up above a ridgeline with NamaClaws or another hardware or with prussiks.

My understanding is that it can cause wear and tear on the tarp due to friction. Also, most tarps have a catenary cut on the ridgeline in addition to the side cuts. That catenary cut is there to ensure that the tarp tensions well and that there is no fabric flapping in the wind.
    I use NamaClaws (connected directly to the tarp). I have never pitched my tarp with the RL above (only to test and know that I didn't like it). I have no wear issues on my tarps. They are DIY with no catcut on the ridge. I like the RL underneath to offer support for any snow load. It is not needed during the summer but I also don't see a need to change from season to season. I now use the interior pole mods and the RL is a great way to support the poles without any extra hardware or loops on the tarp.

Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes
    “An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock.” ― Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Hammock
    Autumn Outdoor Gear
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Duster
    Insulation
    LSOH
    Suspension
    Autumn Ultralight
    Quote Originally Posted by rais'n hammock View Post
    I use NamaClaws (connected directly to the tarp). I have never pitched my tarp with the RL above (only to test and know that I didn't like it). I have no wear issues on my tarps. They are DIY with no catcut on the ridge. I like the RL underneath to offer support for any snow load. It is not needed during the summer but I also don't see a need to change from season to season. I now use the interior pole mods and the RL is a great way to support the poles without any extra hardware or loops on the tarp.

Looks like a great setup!

Just ordered a 30' ridgeline in black with the button knot. Anxious to try this out, since I'm used to prussicks that sometimes slip and those pesky insects that are easy to misplace. I really like the simplicity and for some reason, I'm drawn toward the black with brown toggle. Looks stealthy!

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast