Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need help deciding.

Hello hangers. I have a question to ask. First off I am 5,10 180, and I am going to purchase my first dream hammock. I am going with the danger bird, over cover only, double layer. I understand the sparrow, but I am not planning on removing the cover and I always lay head left. So danger bird sounds like a good fit. Add extra zippers on both sides and add a ridgeline organizer, gear sling, gear loops with handle loop on head end and a zipper storage pocket. Ok so my question is, with the double layer I was going with hex 2.0 inner and outer. Or mtn1.7 inner and outer. I want to know if anyone has any experience with this combo, like the stiffness of the lay(a flat lay) and is the fabric breathable. And I am not worried about the weight of either one. I am going with dark olive outside, with foliage inside and the over cover in hexcam wasteland. Thanks.

Cover only? No netting? Sounds very specialized.

If you always lay head left, not sure what purpose extra sliders on the other side add at all to usefulness. I'm assuming this is to be an asym hammock(?)

I can't imagine breathability to differ much. I happen to like a very stiff hammock. Mostly I purchase double-layer ones for not only that but to have a robust piece of gear. I don't buy d-l to be able to use a pad, nor for protection from mosquitoes.

I'll ONLY buy single-layer hammocks when I need one that is light and packs small.
    Last edited by TominMN; 03-30-2019 at 20:38.

Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    Cover only? No netting? Sounds very specialized.

If you always lay head left, not sure what purpose extra sliders on the other side add at all to usefulness. I'm assuming this is to be an asym hammock(?)

I can't imagine breathability to differ much. I happen to like a very stiff hammock. Mostly I purchase double-layer ones for not only that but to have a robust piece of gear. I don't buy d-l to be able to use a pad, nor for protection from mosquitoes.

I'll ONLY buy single-layer hammocks when I need one that is light and packs small.
    The zippers on both sides so it would be easier to adjust my under quilt. Yes, only an cover, I do have a bug net if needed. And yes I prefer a stiff robust hammock. Thanks for your response.

I'd opt for the UQ hooks. Do that and you shouldn't have to fiddle with the UQ. But I get the extra sliders. Pull-outs?

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Either of those would give you a nice firm lay and robustness in a single layer. I really don't know why, at your size, you'd consider a double layer in a fabric of that weight.

I am about your size (5'11" and 170), like a firm lay, and use both of those in a single layer.

In a double layer and at your size, I can't imagine you'd feel any difference in the firmness of the lay between the two.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    I'd opt for the UQ hooks. Do that and you shouldn't have to fiddle with the UQ. But I get the extra sliders. Pull-outs?
    I was thinking about UQ hooks, I will go that route. But the tie outs, I’m not sure if I would them. Right now I am using a trek light hammock and on buggy season, I have a bug net on that. I notice when I have my pillow and feet stretched out on the other end, it opens up. So I still deciding that route. And the extra sliders, I figured it would also be easier to get out of from either side instead of reaching up towards my head end. So many decisions. But thank you for your response. Now I have tie outs on my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Countrybois View Post
    Either of those would give you a nice firm lay and robustness in a single layer. I really don't know why, at your size, you'd consider a double layer in a fabric of that weight.

I am about your size (5'11" and 170), like a firm lay, and use both of those in a single layer.

In a double layer and at your size, I can't imagine you'd feel any difference in the firmness of the lay between the two.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    I was deciding a double for reassurance. True story, I had a friend who fell through his hammock. Not once but twice. A Lawson blue ridge bridge hammock and I believe a Walmart hammock. He is not a heavy person and both should of held him. But I have a bad back, so if that was me, I probably still be on the ground crying. That and I realize, I feel better sleeping on a flat surface. Like the floor, just need a little stretch not much. It’s what works for my back. I’m just trying to figure out of the two, which one would be more of a flat lay with little stretch. I know it might be an over kill, but if helps the back and don’t give in the middle of the night, well that’s priceless. Thank you.
    Last edited by Terryl; 03-31-2019 at 07:10.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Terryl View Post
    I was deciding a double for reassurance. True story, I had a friend who fell through his hammock. Not once but twice. A Lawson blue ridge bridge hammock and I believe a Walmart hammock. He is not a heavy person and both should of held him. But I have a bad back, so if that was me, I probably still be on the ground crying. That and I realize, I feel better sleeping on a flat surface. Like the floor, just need a little stretch not much. It’s what works for my back. I’m just trying to figure out of the two, which one would be more of a flat lay with little stretch. I know it might be an over kill, but if helps the back and don’t give in the middle of the night, well that’s priceless. Thank you.
    Oh yeah. So, without getting into the "whys" of how your friend tore through those hammocks. You have a couple of things going on in your head affecting your decision. I have a bad back as well and had the same concern when I got my first hammock. (not sure if this is your first or not, but for me, it was). I started out with a double-layer 2.4oz. That thing was definitely comfortable. It was just HUGE. It was also 72" wide. Anyway, I say that to say, I understand where you are coming from. I, too, like a firm feel.

I have made, and used, hammocks in both of those fabrics. IMO they are the two best fabric choices for hammock use for exactly the reason you are looking at them. They are durable and have minimal stretch. At 170lbs, for me, there is barely any noticeable difference in stretch between the two in a single layer. In a double layer hammock, at 180lbs, I don't think you will feel ANY difference in the two materials. They also have a similar 'feel' to them. The texture of both are very similar. Randy(Dream Hammock) will be able to help you as well, but you are in the right area.

If you want the toughest S.O.B. you can get, go with the 2.2Hex. If you want all the same functionality, in a slightly smaller, lighter package, go with the 1.7. I don't think you will be disappointed in either.

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by Terryl View Post
    I was thinking about UQ hooks, I will go that route. But the tie outs, I’m not sure if I would them.
    Now I have tie outs on my mind.
    The thing about having tie-outs is that you can anchor the UQ at your shoulder. Somewhat less important for some is to also anchor the UQ diagonally at your feet. They don't cost much. They don't weigh much. And you don't have to use them all the time. Just something to consider.

(I'm guessing this hammock is primarily intended for cold weather?)

The double layer is going to contribute more to stiffness than flatness, a subtle difference. The flatness comes from your diagonal lay...

You also don't have to use the same weight fabric for each layer...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast