Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mold on tarp

Mold on tarp

Well my son and I went camping this weekend and we both noticed some white spots on our tarps. One is xenon and the other sil poly I think. What is best way to clean the mold without damaging waterproofness? Also how do you store you tarps? We had them in the small stuff sacks but migh think this is a bad idea and should probably store them in a looser sack.

And yes traps were thoroughly dry before we stored them last time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Vinegar will cure mold - mild detergent like a handwashing formula will clean off vinegar - store in mesh breathable bag.

Suggestion buy a shammy or two, sew channels to hold your tent stakes in the shammy - use shammy to quick dry or wipe off moisture before packing away - store tent stakes in channels

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by GilligansWorld; 03-31-2019 at 15:39.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB Universal Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Web-cinch buckles
    Warm soapy water is the best thing to clean off mold, no matter what the surface is.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Loco Libre / JRB
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    I know your are probably already doing this, but I always hang my hammock and tarp up to dry for a few days after a trip. I store them after they are good and dry.

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    I don't know if black mold spots will ever go away. My shower liner is regularly washed in some bleach followed by a cup of vinegar during the second rinse.

I forget which is which, but one of them handles surface mold, while the other handles penetrating mold. I may be wrong altogether, but this has been the longest I've gone without mold on my new shower liner.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Clean, treat and dry the tarps.
    Ol’ Mr. Sunshine does a good job also. Hang it out and let the UV kill it. Clean and air out the stuff sack as well.

Also take a close look at your storage/gear area. It may be the cause?
    Try some open shelving or moisture control packets or buckets to keep long term storage areas fresh.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Thanks for the info. Going to take care of it this, week warm soapy water and sushine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB Universal Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Web-cinch buckles
    @dbolster24. One last thing. Most mold takes 48 to 72 hours to start growing (with very few exceptions). I think the advice to check you gear storage area is good advice.

PS. There may be some staining of the fabric after cleaning, but it is only staining, not mold. It's basically from mold poop (yuck). Mold is just like us, it needs air, water and food to live. It also poops. The easiest thing to control is the water, but you could also give the tarp a thorough cleaning to remove any organic material.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by W8lkinUSA View Post
    I don't know if black mold spots will ever go away. My shower liner is regularly washed in some bleach followed by a cup of vinegar during the second rinse.

I forget which is which, but one of them handles surface mold, while the other handles penetrating mold. I may be wrong altogether, but this has been the longest I've gone without mold on my new shower liner.
    Try vinegar - sounds crazy but vinegar is best mold inhibitor - far superior to bleach

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    My friends with boats recommend this: https://thinkobex.com/products/obex-boat-wash. Bleach can harm fabrics, and vinegar works only when the mold os fresh. This is the stuff they break out in Spring when they unwrap and discover mold has been growing for months.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast