1.1 single Blackbird
    Tarp
    Superfly, The Edge
    Insulation
    Black Mamba
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    You can also permanently attach you tarp by using a larkshead on both ends. Make a larkshead on one prusik, attach it to the tarp. For the other end make a prusik on a separate piece of line other than the ridgeline, larkshead it onto the tarp, then loosen the prusik knot and feed your ridgeline through.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    As far as whoopie slings go, I'd be nervous about breakage. I'm only 130lbs (digestive disease=skinny little fart forever), and I know the 1.75 is good up to 400lbs(I think). But, I remember reading that the forces on some parts of the suspension can be way higher than the actual user weight. I could be wrong, just being safe. If someone knows better, then I might make some for a buddy.
    I was thinking micro-whoopie slings for the tarp tie-out lines... The forces on hammock suspension can be extreme, I'll stick with 7/64 amsteel...

RE: tools to splice small line: I made a loop from a single strand of 24ga copper phone wire, doubled and twised - worked fine for me. Reading glasses or hands-free magnifier, cutting board and a sharp razor-knife were necessary to successfully splice braided mason line... (I did it to prove I could)

Stitching the finished splices would be a pain. I used a drop of Thin CA (super-glue) to keep splices from shifting. It wicked into the nylon well, I wonder if it would work on lash-it/zing-it...

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB
    Tarp
    GG, DIY
    Insulation
    CCF + 40* mummy
    Suspension
    Amsteel UCR
    Images

Could have started a new thread but...

I decided I would post more on this thread to keep it alive.
    First, let me say thanks to Opie for this, his ideas, instructions, and group buy were all instrumental in getting this working. The yellow line is the 2.2mm and the red is 1.75

First Tree:
    The end of the RL has a bead on it's eye, Can use a toggle here no prob but the prusik can larks head around the bead in a pinch (not with cold hands, but lighter than carrying a bigger toggle). The nice part about the prusik is that after it is all set up I can slide the prusik away from the tree and tighten it up a little bit.

Tarp prusiks:
    This is basically an Opie rip off although I plan on using toggles from the trail (happend to have a broken plastic hanger sitting here, so I snapped it up for this photo). You can see that this was under a lot of pressure last night we had 20-40mph winds and it held very well, although the prusiks were hard do slide in the morning (I had to loosen them up a little to get them to move).

The other end is where mine differs a little. I went with the two prusiks and a toggle. These are 4 wrap prusiks so they hold well and in our wind yesterday they held up very well. Prusik 1 is before the supporting object (tree, pole, etc.) prusic 2 is after the supporting object. I pull the standing end and then slide either of the prusiks to lock it down. Don't have the mechanical advantage of a figure 9 but it still tightens down really tight. I may try the descender ring on there to get a little bit of mechanical advantage. I will post pics if that works.

As I said we had very strong winds yesterday with the tarp pitched this way, I did guylines like Opie's as well and they were great (you have all seen that before)

Thanks again opie for all the ideas, and the means to buy the cordage.

Hammock
    HH Xped w/2QZQ#4 and HH ULBA
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HG Phoenx|7DBurrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings/DCs
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    Hey All
    ...In that light here is what I got.
    hey brian...where in Canada did you buy Zing-It and LasH-It?

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    I made an Opie ridgeline useing Prusick nots, figure 8 biners for tarp attachment, and a figure nine biner to secure one end around tree and a figure nine for the other end to get tension. My favorite thing I did was tie a piece of cord inbetween the two pull outs on my tarp. Attached pursick knots to them, then tied 6ft of cord to the pursick. I found that this relly allowed me to utilize the pull outs in many different ways.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Hey storm1... this is stuff we got from Opie in the group buy.

I made a bear bag rope and a ridgeline with prussiks, and gave some to a friend who also made a ridgeline for his tarp. My ridgeline has little biners on the loops so as to be interchangeable - I have two tarps, one longer than the other. My line is 30 feet long tree to tree.

The bear bag rope was great - made a closed end loop and added a biner. Since I use the PCT (one bag, no tie off) method it helps to have a line that won't snag so easy on branches. Got it jammed up once but was able to get it down by pulling - much stronger than the line I was using before. Parachute cord has snapped for me where this stuff didn't.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12