Question Lost Creek Colorado June 2019- BUGs ?

I feel like a lightweight asking this, but I've been spoiled since I left the east and came to CO in the 90s. I usually trek in less forested areas at higher altitude with fewer lakes. So...... how are the bugs in early June ? Hopefully not at bad as Maine :-)

I know it's been a wet winter, are there places to camp that are less soggy ? I think a friend is suggesting this area since it's early in the season and lower altitude/less snow. I'm willing to swim in repellent if needed but lovely if I don't' have to. Any info appreciated.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 04-07-2019 at 15:45.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I am a bit farther north, but I'm well acquainted with the seasonal rotation of bugs.

In early June you might encounter considerable snow in the mountains depending on this years snow pack conditions for the drainages chosen to visit. Then there are the mosquitoes that will be abundant during the spring, i.e. June. In July and into early August the mosquitoes are joined by black flies, deer flies, and a bit later horse flies. Unquestionably the finest times for a foray into the Rockies would be in late August and early September. Of course this is also the time bears are in hyperphagia as they prepare for the coming winter's snoozing. Of course, griz are no longer at home in CO so that is to your advantage. Mid-September typically heralds the equinox storms just to test your preparedness factor.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    WB Wooki 20°
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Figure I’d chime in, hope I’m not too late!

I did a solo overnight in Lost Creek Wilderness July 1st 2018, then another solo 3-day September 1st 2018. It’s definitely a great area, and one of my personal favorites! I will be back multiple times this year.

Bugs: honestly, few and far between. I didn’t have any problems whatsoever, not even with mosquitos.

I do a lot of hiking out here in CO, and bugs really aren’t a problem, year round, unless you’re hanging really close to a large lake, or standing water.

I would recommend spraying everything down with permethrin, just in case, but it’s rarely needed. I don’t even carry deet anymore!

Anyways, be happy to answer anymore questions you have about the area. Have a great trip, it’s beautiful out there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images
    Every year is different. I would take a little deet with you for the occasional mosquito or day time biting fly. Even in June you are still looking at 50-degree nites.

• + New Posts