WB Blackbird 1.7 Double Layer
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Top/Bottom
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    My 11’ fits my blackbird perfectly. Not sure what 2 more feet would really do.....

Hammock
    Town's End Bridge or WBRR
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyfishbeck View Post
    Thank you everyone. I ordered the Superfly 11 this afternoon with ticks and 100’ guyline. My RSBTR kit is arriving tomorrow and I hope to have it finished this weekend. The maiden voyage is scheduled for the end of this month with our Scout troop (girls troop, not to be confused with Girl Scouts.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Good choice.

I was out in a thunderstorm with mine last night.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    "It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it"

Hammock
    Dutch Wide Netless
    Tarp
    DF Palace Tarp
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Econ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by sloanie View Post
    I wasn't aware that there was a 13' version-- just a 11' when I bought mine! And I'll echo this comment-- bridge hammocks often need that extra length for solid coverage. Also, some of us use 12' gathered end hammocks as well, 11' doesn't quite give me the coverage I want. Indeed, HYOH.
    Hey I know im a bit late for this thread but can you explain why a bridge hammocks often require more length for proper coverage? Thanks!
    (My thought process: WBRR is about 6.5ft in length, so an 11ft long tarp would give 2.25ft of coverage on both sides??)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by questionmike View Post
    Hey I know im a bit late for this thread but can you explain why a bridge hammocks often require more length for proper coverage? Thanks!
    (My thought process: WBRR is about 6.5ft in length, so an 11ft long tarp would give 2.25ft of coverage on both sides??)
    Some people want the ability to hang a tarp with doors over the Ridgerunner and close the doors with the complete suspension triangles covered by the tarp, so that only the straps or whoopies are extending outside. On the Ridgerunner, this requires the tarp to have a 13' ridgeline. If the tarp has a shorter ridgeline, the doors will not be able to fully close around the Amsteel lines of the suspension triangles.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 07-08-2019 at 15:04.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    questionmike, to reiterate what cmc4free said, it's not the length of the WBRR hammock body that "asks" for a longer ridge line, it's the suspension coming off the hammock body, where the two lines combine to a single line, that would benefit from the longer length. Just as there is a variety of sag ratios for GE hammocks - some like the hammock setup length to be 83% of physical length, some like 86% or some other number - so with the RR there can be a preference in the distance of the apex points - connection point where the suspension lines from each side come together.

Other bridge hammocks have there own requirements but the rule of thumb for the WBRR is around 13 ft from apex to apex. If you have an 11 ft tarp with doors then the doors won't completely close because they would be held apart by the suspension lines coming off the side of the bridge.

Whether or not that would actually let in a deluge of rain water is another question. But if you are using a ridge runner and have it set up at the usual starting point of 13 ft from apex to apex with a 25 degree hang angle, and you have a tarp with doors that you want to close completely or you just want the tarp to cover all the bridge hammock suspension up to where it becomes a single line, then you'll need a 13 ft tarp..

So the key word here is "require". The RR doesn't require a 13 ft tarp. I used a HH hex with the RR for a long time just fine - but I was never in a wind blown rain or concerned about privacy.

Bottom line is you don't need a 13 ft trap to keep the RR dry, but you way want one if those other issues are a concern.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 07-09-2019 at 13:37.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I did 12' tarps for a few seasons and ultimately went back to 11'
    It was nice to have space to roam around, but it proved to be more work and compromise than I expected.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123