Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Joey83 View Post
    I tried sleeping in my hammock for the first time a couple nights ago by a lake, after a while I got the feeling someone or something was keeping an eye on me, and not in the good way either.

I've never packed up and left a campsite that fast before, there was no sounds at all and in the forest up a mountain.
    I don't have trouble sleeping in the woods at all, and I've been doing it for so long that I don't even recall the 'fear of stuff in the wild' phase, perhaps because my Dad started taking us kids car camping when we were very young. We were car camping on July 20, 1969 and listened to the news coverage of the Apollo 11 moon landing on the radio of a '63 Pontiac station wagon, and by then I was a 13-yr-old 'veteran'.

So if you keep doing it long enough, at some point you will stop worrying about it. I would dare say that the collective experience of people on this forum here would add up to literally many thousands of people-years with practically no major incidents... hardly a blip on the danger-meter. Certainly sleeping in the woods is statistically far safer than the car ride to the trail head, to which nobody ever gives a second thought.

Nowadays, just for the heck of it, when I get up in the middle of the night to hydrate the vegetation, every now and then I will crank my 200-lumen headlight up to max and scan around the woods to see if there are any retinas reflecting back at me. Very rarely do I see anything at all... in the past year I've seen a deer, one porcupine (maybe skunk) and a little field mouse in the hollow of a log.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutchware Wide Hexon 1.7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    My first couple of times sleeping in a hammock were rough as well. My issue was I was worried about falling out of the hammock. I woke up several times in the night feeling for the edges of the hammock making sure I wasn't rolling out. After awhile I got comfortable with how it felt to sleep in it and it's been great since.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
    "I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." – Douglas Adams

I wake up often as well, but I do feel more rested than on the ground. Try ear plugs and maybe some sleeping mask to keep light out of your eyes.

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by madvr6 View Post
    I wake up often as well, but I do feel more rested than on the ground. Try ear plugs and maybe some sleeping mask to keep light out of your eyes.
    I find that sometimes I need earplugs when the birds just won't shut up but I eventually got used to the sounds of the woods. I'm not sure I would have if I always used my earplugs. I bring them along just in case it gets too loud to sleep. If it would keep you from hanging I'd recommend them though.

Hammock
    Simply Light Designs Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Winter haven
    Insulation
    Pine UQ / WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Dutch Ti buckle
    I always have a pair of earplugs in a small mesh pocket inside my sleeping bags. They're there if too loud rain, wind, birds or rivers keep me up. Most of the time I don't need it.

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    30 nights in a row in my WBBB in the basement and I couldn't sleep through the night at all. Got a bridge hammock and after a couple of nights I could get 8 solid hours in. Maybe try a different hammock.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek XL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles

Trouble sleeping

With the sleep system I have now, which is so warm and comfortable, when I get in my RR it is only a short time until I fall asleep. Sometimes I read for awhile, but usually I just fall asleep to the sounds of the forest. I only wake up to pee, check out the stars or with the birds at first light. This year I hope to extend the season by using a sock.
    "Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing."
    - Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair(s)
    Tarp
    SLD & Mtn. Fly
    Insulation
    HG 0,20,40 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing
    I travel for work, entirely to frequently and I still don’t sleep well the first night. From a one star hotel to the finest to hammock, night one is tough. Night two is usually better. If you are good and tired and eat a nice meal you should get some good slumber.

I’ll sleep in the hammock in my backyard and there is nothing in the woods areound me that is the least bit scary and I still don’t get great sleep on the first night. Like so many have said it’s ingrained in the human psyche to be more alert in a new setting - at least in some of us!

Keep at it and you’ll get there. Move around in the hammock. I’m always “comfortable” but there is that spot that I eventually find which is bliss.
    The deep mystery gives rise to the spirits -Charc

Always strive to be the best but never believe you are - Juan Manuel Fangio

Hammock
    WBBBXLC/Eldorado
    Tarp
    WB Thunder/Mtn fly
    Insulation
    WBWookie/EEEnigma
    Suspension
    DClips/BeatleBuckl
    Quote Originally Posted by madvr6 View Post
    I too wake up more in the hammock but as you state, I feel more rested. I do believe I get a better quality sleep even if I wake up more often.
    Also I never sleep well the first night of any camping or backpacking trip.
    My wife and I sleep to a thunderstorm soundtrack on Alexa, a few weeks ago we changed the sound to Nighttime Forrest Sounds as an experiment to see if that helps me transition on the next camping trip. I'll let you know in a few weeks if I think it worked or not.

Hammock
    DIY/WB eldorado
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema 12'
    Insulation
    loco libre ghost p
    Suspension
    Whoopie with Dutch
    Having had bears in camp before I won;t wear earplugs unless I'm with someone else. But eventually (night 2 or 3) I start sleeping well. Even on the ground it takes that long but of course not nearly as comfy

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast