WBBB 1.7 dl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wool
    Suspension
    Webbing

New to this need help

first of all I am a big ole boy 325 lbs or so.I need to find something with very low stretch to use to wrap around the tree to suspend my Hammock.I am currently using some heavy duty nylon rope to wrap around the trees and it stretches alot and my hammock ends up very close to the ground making it a pain in the bumm to get out of.The trees in the area were I camp are quite large and I must have something very long to go around them.Any help would be appreciated

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Chinook 9.6x9.6
    Insulation
    AH New River UQ
    Suspension
    Came with the BB
    Images
    I'm big too and I use 1 1/2" polyester strap. Then I tie a rope to the strap that is tied to my hammock. Nylon rope or strap will stretch. My first experience was with 550 parachute cord (that was all I had) and that streched so much I was on the ground by morning, but I was still more comfortable that on the ground all night.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    something to remember to avoid the butt-2-dirt experience is to hang higher from the trees and hang with a considerable amount of sag. If you give more sag than you think it could possibly need you are probably close. The suspension lines should be at ~30-40* below horizontal. A few very narrow hammocks (clarks, claytors) can hang with less sag but they are the exceptions. A diagonal lie in the hammock flattens the sag out and the hammock does not drop much more when you load it.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB lightweight Dbl - Blue
    Tarp
    Warbonnet MiniFly
    Insulation
    3 Season Wookie
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Whoopies
    Images
    i was at 340, and another guy on here was 375... i think we both used 1 in poly straps. with cinch buckles and carabiners on a Warbonnet Blackbird Dbl 1.7. i'm down to 290 and neither then or now did i have stretch. i just pulled a half hitch behind the cinch buckles and woke up same i did when i fell asleep.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB
    Tarp
    GG, DIY
    Insulation
    CCF + 40* mummy
    Suspension
    Amsteel UCR
    Images
    I picked these up at wal-mart in the camping/boating section right next to their lead lined tarps (ok not lead lined but they feel like it after holding a sil tarp).

They are actually stronger than the more expensive straps I saw in the automotive section, for less $$ (10ish) and were rated higher (#600 workload, 1800 max vs 400 workload 900 max).
    I cut the hooks off the straps, cut them in half and made 4 7' treehuggers out of the set but it is plenty of strap to make them longer if you have to.

I would also recommend amsteel for the rope, I have had 375 in my hammock on 7/64 amsteel with UCRs, you could go 1/8 if you are worried and whoopie slings are a little less finicky than UCRs. Fun Projects or you can get them ready made from www.whoopieslings.com or http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com

Simple toggle and a marlin spike hitch and you are good to go!
    Last edited by phatpenguin; 03-12-2010 at 19:11. Reason: Image was not showing up

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Quote Originally Posted by srestrepo View Post
    i was at 340...i'm down to 290...
    Good going man! Thumbs Up!

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    On the subject of weight. GOOD JOB srestrepo.

On topic. Get some poly straps and poly hollow core braided rope, if thats all thats available locally. It holds without stretching. This will get you off the ground and hanging today. If you want to order straps and ropes there are a few good folks here that will help you out.
    I have improved to some dyneema, really small rope (7/64"), but amazingly strong.
    big rotundus behind guy here, too.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    HH Expedition,HH Scout ,DIY rigs
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    I use the Rod Saver Boat Dock straps,on all my hammocks,, 10 feet long, a loop is already sewn at each end, eliminating the need for huggers.
    I gave a set to Plowhorse,,,, and I think he is up in that range,,,,

I know they hold Baby Momma and I. together we are over 300#
    Academy Sporting Goods has them all day long for $6.99 a pair.

http://www.rodsaver.com/04_misc/DS.html

Last edited by Randy; 03-13-2010 at 08:38.

• + New Posts