Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle

Underquilt not conforming to hammock

I have a Hammock Gear 40* Phoenix (3/4) Econ and have been having an issue with an air space between the hammock and u/q from my butt to the bottom edge. As a result, I haven't been as warm as I like to be. I also have the same quilt in a 0* version plus 3 oz overfill and have had no such issues with it, down into the teens, perhaps due to the loft vs that of the 40* unit. I was wondering how I might correct this? For example, how does amount of sag affect this? Setup below.

Dutch Netless Wide hammock
    Structural ridgeline
    HG 40* Phoenix Econ u/q

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Perhaps tighten the primary suspension. This will "lift" the quilt upwards more. Also check to make sure you don't have the end channel cinched too tight at the foot end either. With my 3/4 length quilt, I've found the end channels don't need to be cinched that much to create a tight seal once I lie in the hammock. The amount of loft should have no effect on how the quilt snugs up to the hammock- due to the differential cut of the fabric.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    First - sorry to suggest it - but make sure your UQ is right side up. On some UQ's it doesn't matter. On HG UQ's there's a head end and a top side.

Next, if you can feel (or someone sees) an air gap under between the hammock and UQ, you need to tighten some suspension. Note that the UQ has to work on a variety of hammock lengths, so the suspension bungee is a bit ... generic. That means you may (if you don't want to cut it) have to tie a knot at the end of the main suspension to shorten its connection length. As a rule of thumb, I've read that when you are out of the hammock, the UQ bungee should be tight enough to lift it.

You have three adjustments to make. The secondary suspension at the ends (not the cinch that scrunches the end) is suppose to provide lift. If you have a ridge line on your hammock there are numerous ways to biner the secondary suspension over the ridge line; providing additional lift.

There are some theories that tightening things up too much can cause a gap as your diagonal become more extreme - a looser "cinch" allows the end of the UQ to form against the hammock better. But it still needs sufficient lift.

Do you have someone to get in the hammock as you check it out or is it just you? By myself, the best I can do is first see that the UQ gives a little lift to the hammock when I'm out of it. Then, when I'm in it, I put my hand between the hammock and UQ to see how snug it is. If you have someone in the hammock you can play with the bungee lengths and such till they say it is good. It's been my experience that if someone is in the hammock and it starts out loose, they can easily tell when it is tightened up enough to be effective.

Just know that the main bungee length can vary and must be long enough for the longest hammocks. So you may need to "shorten" it by knotting the two lines together about six inches from the loop end and connecting (I use an S-biner) that knotted point to the hammock suspension.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    Perhaps tighten the primary suspension. This will "lift" the quilt upwards more. Also check to make sure you don't have the end channel cinched too tight at the foot end either. With my 3/4 length quilt, I've found the end channels don't need to be cinched that much to create a tight seal once I lie in the hammock. The amount of loft should have no effect on how the quilt snugs up to the hammock- due to the differential cut of the fabric.
    Pretty much said it all for me

Images
    What about the leg shelf? Does this UQ have one of those? I have heard that if you get your body positioned wrong on the leg shelf, it can cause gaps.

This sort of thing is why some folks decided they prefer a torso quilt with a leg pad. It has always seemed to me that the most common place for things to go wrong is under my legs using a full length quilt on a diagonal lay. Especially my left leg when my feet are to the right. So, I am more likely to need a pad there anyway.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    With my Blackbird shelf hammock, I make sure, with my ¾ length UQ, that the shelf runs under the bungee. It just takes a few seconds to sit up in the hammock (good exercise) and feel around the side to make sure that cord is running above.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Images
    I have never had any trouble getting my HG 3/4 to fit correctly. Can you post any picts of your setup that might help us troubleshoot?
    My quilt is so old is has StormCrows name on the side and only has a single suspension.

• + New Posts