Hammock
    WBBBXLC
    Tarp
    DIY 4 season Cat
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    Web Buckles
    I camp every month or more with the Scouts, rain or shine or snow. Most of my winter camping is done with a 3/4 underquilt from Warbonnet and a CCF pad at my feet. Top side I use an old 32 degree mummy sleeping bag from Wal-Mart. I've taken this down to -15 and still sweat. I have found that the better your underquilt the less top quilt you need. This is super simple to vent on both top and bottom.
    A Scout IS!

Hammock
    WB Eldorado SL
    Suspension
    Dyneema + Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    ...I hear you have something called humidity over there; can breath water right out of the air.
    It gets so bad I sometimes wonder why we haven't evolved gills yet. It's not for nothing the UF Stadium in Gainsville is called "The Swamp".

My main concern is sleep comfort but you have to be weight conscious as well so I've put a Single Layer XLC and 3/4 length UQ on the shopping list which by my back of the napkin math saves a total of around a not inconsequential 12 ounces or so over a Double Layer XLC with a full length UQ. I'll supplement with a CCF sit pad and UQP. I hear it rains a lot on the AT lol.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    The SL XLC with length UQ with CCF sit pad and UQP - given a good tarp - sounds like a great compromise (i.e. best combination of weight/size/performance/cost) of gear for your trip.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado SL
    Suspension
    Dyneema + Becket
    OK slight change of plan/intention, instead of a mid-March start, my time off got moved a month to the left and my "vacation" starts around February 8th 2021 and goes to the end of April.

I know this start date brings extra weather and trail challenges to a NOBO AT hike, so I'm mulling over some equipment options to see if this is feasible/can I mitigate the additional weather risk. I haven't settled on clothing yet, but I expect I'll have to go a bit heavier than originally planned in that regard.

For shelter/sleeping purposes, I was originally set on the following for a mid-March start:

WBBB XLC single layer
    20* WB Yeti UQ (the torso-length product)
    20* WB Diamondback TQ
    WB UQP
    and a sit pad/sit pad equivalent to mitigate cold spots

I'd like to tap into the collective wisdom here and see if this makes any sense:

Same hammock
    Same TQ
    Switching to the full length UQ (Wookie), also in 20*
    Same UQP
    Adding a WB Winter Top Cover to the set

I was trying to talk myself into the Superfly for extra weather protection before, and with the start date change I'm thinking it would be a good add to the pack even at 20oz. I'd love to get into a CF of the same size (Hammock Gear Winter Palace) but holy hell it's over twice the price. I'm not sure if the difference in price justifies the 11oz weight reduction, but it might given the extra weight gained elsewhere due to temps.

As before, thank you for your consideration and guidance.

Hammock
    Trail Lair/Sparrow
    Tarp
    ManyFly's/HG WP
    Insulation
    HG/Speer
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    I'd skip the top cover and UQP and put that money toward the HG Winter Palace. I use that tarp without either.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12