Thermarest Slacker
    Tarp
    Gold Armour 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavyhiker View Post
    There is no problem at all getting in and out. I have the summer sock for my 11 ft DIY and the zipper is plenty long enough
    Okay, the old devil made me press that "Pay Now" button, so you got me. I'm looking forward to receiving the sock/bugnet.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneShootn View Post
    Okay, the old devil made me press that "Pay Now" button, so you got me. I'm looking forward to receiving the sock/bugnet.
    GoneShootn please post some picts when you get this in. I would be very interested in any action shots and comments you have.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5'
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    CDT UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    FWIW, the Outdoor Vitals bug net sock was my first (and only) bug net, and I've never really had much of a problem with it. Are there better designs? Sure. But I got this when I was first getting into hammocking and didn't know anything. The only thing I find annoying is the huge length of very thin red cord that hangs out of the cinched up end when it's all closed up. I like that the bottom protects the UQ from any mud splashing up from below. It's for sure heavier than an integrated bug net, but still fairly light. I will admit, I often contemplate re-purposing the material from this net to make my own integrated zippered net.

Just my two-cents.

Hammock
    Thermarest Slacker
    Tarp
    Gold Armour 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by forces View Post
    FWIW, the Outdoor Vitals bug net sock was my first (and only) bug net, and I've never really had much of a problem with it. Are there better designs? Sure. But I got this when I was first getting into hammocking and didn't know anything. The only thing I find annoying is the huge length of very thin red cord that hangs out of the cinched up end when it's all closed up. I like that the bottom protects the UQ from any mud splashing up from below. It's for sure heavier than an integrated bug net, but still fairly light. I will admit, I often contemplate re-purposing the material from this net to make my own integrated zippered net.

Just my two-cents.
    I really wish I had the same experience. Great price, and quick Amazon shipping. I badly wanted to be able to use it, but there is just no way I could hope to ever be able to reach beyond the top of the hammock without serious gymnastics. And no replies to two emails to support. I did finally get a reply after I had already processed the return with the old "your message was in the spam box" excuse. Doesn't mean it wasn't true, but still.

I'm curious, though, how well did the sock do as a splash guard? The fabric is very thin and seemingly porous.

Hammock
    Thermarest Slacker
    Tarp
    Gold Armour 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    GoneShootn please post some picts when you get this in. I would be very interested in any action shots and comments you have.
    I will. May actually do a review. But at least pics and thoughts.

Hammock
    $20 Golden Eagle double
    Tarp
    $20 10'x10'
    Insulation
    $20 CDTUQ
    Suspension
    $5 HF straps
    My boys & I use these. My take:

Pluses:
    • Dark fabric half does work as a bit of a splash guard
    • Dark fabric does provide some "privacy for changing"
    • It does work if you can get it closed

Minuses
    • Agree that the closure is difficult to get fully closed.
    • The dark fabric half cuts down on the breeze moving against your hammock. So does the net, but not as much as the fabric. This kind of sucks on a warm humid night.

Haven't had a chance to use the dark fabric half as a "mist guard" if no tarp

These are the first bug nets we'd owned (prior to this we were jerry-rigging a cot bug net) so I'm not exactly an expert.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneShootn View Post

I'm curious, though, how well did the sock do as a splash guard? The fabric is very thin and seemingly porous.
    A properly designed splash guard or under quilt protector as we call them will be very thin for weight concerns, very breathable because you don't want to be laying in a pool of your own sweat by morning and the material will be coated with a DWR treatment to repel dew and splash from rain. The 2QZQ UQP was the first to offer a breathable DWR treated UQP and the small features in the design has not been topped. Check them out they are very reasonable.

Here are a couple picts of the first one being designed and modified right on hammockforums.

Hammock
    Thermarest Slacker
    Tarp
    Gold Armour 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    A properly designed splash guard or under quilt protector as we call them will be very thin for weight concerns, very breathable because you don't want to be laying in a pool of your own sweat by morning and the material will be coated with a DWR treatment to repel dew and splash from rain. The 2QZQ UQP was the first to offer a breathable DWR treated UQP and the small features in the design has not been topped. Check them out they are very reasonable.

Here are a couple picts of the first one being designed and modified right on hammockforums.

Got one, and it looks a lot different than the porous material, but point made. Thanks.

Hammock
    Thermarest Slacker
    Tarp
    Gold Armour 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    I received the Dutch sock/net but haven't removed it from the sack, yet. Considering videoing the installation. We'll see. Too much rain, now, to do anything.

Given that it is still in the stuff sack, first impression to this point is that it is somewhat bulkier and heavier than the OV unit, but, of course, the Dutch unit has a zipper. Weight in the sack, with whatever comes with it, is 11.39 oz. Will post more as I use it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast