Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    Gold Armour 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Okay, here are my thoughts so far on the Dutch bug net/sock. Seems of very good quality and workmanship, but that's expected. It is also heavier and bulkier than the Outdoor Vitals unit. Some of that is due to the addition of a zipper. With the OV unit, I wasn't at all sure that it would function as an underquilt protector, as well, but I have no such reservations about the Dutch unit. I left it on the hammock when I put it into the bishop bag, so now everything is in the bag - hammock and suspension, bug net, and u/q protector. That's a win.

All in all, I am well satisfied, but there is one issue that is a problem for me. You know how some hammocks are asym, meaning that you either lie head left or right and can't change that? Well this is also asym in that the zipper is on one side only. The net/sock has a tiny end and a big end that can be opened wide. I want the big end to be at the head, as I need to be able to access that end from time to time. In that configuration, the zipper is on the left side, and I like to exit on the right side. I'm wondering, but haven't asked Dutch yet, if maybe the net/sock could be turned inside-out, which should effectively move the zipper to the other side? I also didn't think to examine the unit to see if there are any obvious reasons why that should not be done. If that is possible, then it would resolve the only issue that I have.

This time, I didn't have time for photos or video, but I will post one or the other soon.
    Last edited by GoneShootn; 05-27-2019 at 10:25.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneShootn View Post
    Okay, here are my thoughts so far. Seems of very good quality and workmanship, but that's expected. It is also heavier and bulkier than the Outdoor Vitals unit. Some of that is due to the addition of a zipper. With the OV unit, I wasn't at all sure that it would function as an underquilt protector, as well, but I have no such reservations about the Dutch unit. I left it on the hammock when I put it into the bishop bag, so now everything is in the bag - hammock and suspension, bug net, and u/q protector. That's a win.

All in all, I am well satisfied, but there is one issue that is a problem for me. You know how some hammocks are asym, meaning that you either lie head left or right and can't change that? Well this is also asym in that the zipper is on one side only. The net/sock has a tiny end and a big end that can be opened wide. I want the big end to be at the head, as I need to be able to access that end from time to time. In that configuration, the zipper is on the left side, and I like to exit on the right side. I'm wondering, but haven't asked Dutch yet, if maybe the net/sock could be turned inside-out, which should effectively move the zipper to the other side? I also didn't think to examine the unit to see if there are any obvious reasons why that should not be done. If that is possible, then it would resolve the only issue that I have.

This time, I didn't have time for photos or video, but I will post one or the other soon.
    You can turn it inside out but the seams will show. Another option is to have the wide mouth opening at the foot end. If you are using the zipper to enter and exit, it doesn't matter which end has the wide opening.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    Gold Armour 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    I have stuff at the head end that I need to be able to get to from the outside, so swapping the big end to the foot may not be the best option. Of course, there is the zipper. If I swap ends, that may well suffice. I may try it and see. Only issue then would be that it seems to me that the big end should be the head so to swap would be a (hopefully temporary) minor aggravation to a somewhat OCD perfectionist. But, hey, that's a problem with me and not one with the net/sock.

Thanks for the reply.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234