Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner Bridge
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    Lynx, hangtight
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Jumping Right In vs. Extensive testing :)

So.. another of my posts brought a question to mind..

Which of you "tested the waters" and then "practiced, practiced, practiced", before doing your first woodland overnight, and which of you just grabbed a hammock and straps and dove right into the wilds?

Would you have done it differently knowing what you know now? How?
    ~~~NJHEART2HEART Dawn~~~
    "Seek God, Embrace the Journey, Leave a Legacy of Love"

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    I just dove right in. In my opinion you learn a lot more that way. That said, I had some working knowledge so I wasn't completely in the dark. Reading up on info is great yet can lead to analysis-paralysis.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Jumped right in. Used a Walmart bugnet hammock, ratchet straps, a big tarp and a sleeping bag. Spent two rainy nights on an island. Loved it. Wouldn't have changed a thing because I learned so much about the basics: hammock, suspension, weather protection and insulation. All my stuff would not fit in my biggest backpack (65L Osprey Atmos).

Since then, I've changed everything. Went with lighter/more compact gear that takes up about 1/4 of that backpack.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Bought cheap gear and jumped right in but it was in my back yard I don't take new gear to the field with me until I test it at home.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    While I "jumped right in", I did so in the shallow end of the pool. My first hammock set-up was the ENO One Link shelter system purchased for less than $200. I also used this system exclusively for front country camping for the first several months so, if a "bail out" was ever really necessary it was nearby.

The "extensive testing" testing was organic as the ENO One Link Shelter ststem is overall pretty sucky. Better straps were ther first item I discovered would be necessary. New straps lead to my first set of whoopie slings. Replacing my pad with an underquilt highlighted the problems of a very short hammock. Replacing the ENO DoubleNest with longer hammock meant the ENO Pro Fly would no longer provide adeuate coverage leading to more extensive tarp testing. Cuben Fiber vs silnylon, doors vs no doors ect. Half a dozen tarps later, I favor the SuperFly. Eventually, it also became clear the ENO Gaurdian bugnet would not fit my longer hammock. Enter additional hammocks including the Waqrbonnet Blackbird. So 2 years after "jumping right in" my "extensive testing" resulted in all my gear being replaced, duplicated repeatedly. I have a dozen different suspension systems. I am down to just 7 hammocks from the 12 that I have bought. My tarp count is 5, having sold 2 including the Cuben Fiber and the ENO Profly. Coming up on 8-9 years after "just jumping in", the "extensive testing" is just stuff I do just for fun.
    Last edited by OCDave; 04-23-2019 at 11:47.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    Bought cheap gear and jumped right in but it was in my back yard I don't take new gear to the field with me until I test it at home.
    This....

Didn't even know about HF until I started googling hammock info after my first ENO hammock purchase from REI back in 2016. It was then that I fell into the rabbit hole headfirst as I had to find a way to get an optimal hammock setup. It has been a fun journey, and HF members, Derek Hansen and Shug have been showing me everything I know. I now even have become better at tying knots properly to avoid hardware, although I find hardware to be useful sometimes. This hobby sure is fun, even though it is all about sleeping, not doing stuff per se.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki 0deg
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I don't think I jumped right in because I read a lot of the posts here first and watched a lot of videos, especially all of Shug's videos so I felt pretty prepared when I went out on my first hang. My first hang was out at Round Valley with the Boy Scouts and although I didn't get everything set up perfectly, even with a Friday night thunderstorm, I was dry, warm and comfortable. For me at least, a hammock is way more comfortable than a tent.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I jumped right in. I'm a buy once cry once kind of guy. I went with Warbonnet Black Bird XLC, Superfly and quilts. No regrets. I did some solos in local woods. Then I decided to meet up with some internet weirdos called EGL. That's when the fun really began. I paddled and hung as much as I could up in Canada. Then I started hangin with some other good folks in Allegheny National Forest PA. Then I went to HangCon 18 and did a 5 day solo in the ADK's that was spiritual. I still want to do a solo Algonquin and BWCA. So ya, jumped right into the deep end of the pool.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Jumped right in with a backup plan in the truck (bivvy).
    Oooh, shiney! What does THIS button do?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner Bridge
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    Lynx, hangtight
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Thanks all for your great answers and for sharing!

This event coming up is a bit of a jump, but I've done a ton of reading/watching, inquiry, done several daytime hangs with my setup, which have been wonderfully educational, and have lots of backup options.

Whooohoo! Here we go!
    ~~~NJHEART2HEART Dawn~~~
    "Seek God, Embrace the Journey, Leave a Legacy of Love"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast