Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlrocm View Post
    I'm going to give the nod to silver surfer and agree that outdoor vitals isnt a cottage vendor. I feel like cottage vendor and made in the USA go hand in hand. pretty sure outdoor vitals isnt made in the USA
    Mmh last I checked their website would disagree, but granted that was a while ago. Regardless, that's kinda besides the point. I'm just looking to lighten up my pack a bit and not spend a small fortune that I just don't have.

Also to whoever asked, I'm not taller than 5'6" so I don't need an especially long hammock I'm just an average-sized lady who likes to backpack

Dangit. Also your link doesn't work but I'll poke around dutch's site some more and see if I find it.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Juney View Post
    Wise Owl and Outdoor Vitals are both cottage vendors, and not everyone can afford to pay $200.00 for a higher end cottage vendor's hammock, not to mention the rest of the setup. Not to mention the hammock I listed is lighter than any other hammock I've been able to find, even at high end outdoor outfitters and cottage vendors.
    Sorry, besides being a very tiny hammock, that combo of hammock + net is very heavy at 25oz compared to something like a Dutch Half-Zip which is 13.6oz with integrated net in Hexon 1.0. Add a pair of inexpensive poly straps and you've got something more than halfway decent. For a tarp, consider a good hex like the SLD Trail Haven.

Go ahead and buy that amazon stuff if you must, but you will likely be writing it off soon as an educational expense.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Looking for feedback on possible new setup

I fixed the link! it's a good deal...maybe more than you were initially willing to spend, but its gear that you wont soon replace. I think dutch was offering a bottom entry bug net kit and an integrated kit. the integrated bugnet kit was slightly more expensive. here's the link again. https://dutchwaregear.com/product/complete-intro-package/
    you might have to copy and paste it

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlrocm View Post
    https://dutchwaregear.com/product/complete-intro-package/

here's the link to the Dutchwaregear intro package. 1161 grams or 41 oz.
    That link don't work. Maybe this one does.

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/co...mmock-package/
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Thanks Mike!

The problem that I find with integrated bug nets is that it's just about impossible to use a hammock compatible sleeping bag with them. I guess if I wanted to switch it up to a top/underquilt combo that would be an option but the weight of an underquilt isn't something I particularly want to lug around with me when I'm out and about. Most of the topquilts I see weigh just about as much as a full sleeping bag of comparable value by themselves, which would be fine in summer, but when it gets cold, that underquilt portion would be missed, don't you think? Heck when I tried summer in the Sierra without an underquilt it was still way too cold.

For the record, I do love Dutch's gear, have some, and will probably continue to get more as time goes by.
    I've been doing this a long time.. I am not sure what a hammock compatible sleeping bag is or why an integrated but net would not work with a sleeping bag. What are you using as bottom insulation?

I don't mean any disrespect but most TQ's don't weight nearly as much as a sleeping bag. A bag in a hammock is going to leave your underside freezing.

I am going to withdraw from any further comments as I get the feeling you have some really strong, though rather misguided opinions about what you want to do and don't really want input from those of who really know what are doing... Good luck.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    I've been doing this a long time.. I am not sure what a hammock compatible sleeping bag is or why an integrated but net would not work with a sleeping bag. What are you using as bottom insulation?

I don't mean any disrespect but most TQ's don't weight nearly as much as a sleeping bag. A bag in a hammock is going to leave your underside freezing.

I am going to withdraw from any further comments as I get the feeling you have some really strong, though rather misguided opinions about what you want to do and don't really want input from those of who really know what are doing... Good luck.
    A hammock compatible sleeping bag just wraps around the outside of the hammock, working as both a topquilt and underquilt. In a hammock with an integrated bug net, the bag would then go around the bug net which IME gets the net all up in your face. They sell bags like this at REI and Adventure 16 locally to me. I believe I saw some on Moosejaw as well (basically any mummy bag with an open footbox). So for bottom insulation I generally have the equivalent of an underquilt. It just happens to be attached to my topquilt. If weight calculations can be believed, using one of these saves some weight. Depending on the temp rating of the bag, anywhere from a few ounces to about 1lb.

Looking for feedback on possible new setup

So it's like a pod, right?

Yep pretty much! I found mine work really well for cold nights.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Yep pretty much! I found mine work really well for cold nights.
    So you're a banana sleeper?
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast