Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    20/-20Wooki, LL0*
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Wrong place to ask for advice unless you're buying HG or one of the other vendors on this site. This site is a thinly disguised sales funnel, my friend.

Banned
    Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    20/-20Wooki, LL0*
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Outdoor Vitals, Live Infinitely and Wise Owl are cottage vendors? I don't think so - they're Amazon vendors. It's Chinese-made stuff.

As for Outdoor Vitals, I've watched a lot of their videos - they really don't know anything about hammocks. I didn't even bother to check out the specs (and won't) on that tarp.

That Wise Owl hammock? It is an ENO clone - 9 ft. long by 4.5 feet wide. I hope you're not over 5'6" tall, or that hammock will be very uncomfortable. The minimum width I ever tried was 55 inches, and that wasn't wide enough for me (5'11").

The Live Infinitely bugnet (try finding an HF review on a Live Infinitely bugnet, or Live Infinitely anything), is minimum 12.8 ounces, but could be more. They don't list weight on their website. I'd guess it's closer to 16 ounces.
    Dude, what's with all the "Chinese made" comments you post? Seems almost like it's a little bordering on racism.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trecker8 View Post
    Dude, what's with all the "Chinese made" comments you post? Seems almost like it's a little bordering on racism.
    You've made that comment before, and it's as ridiculous now as it was then.

I was expecting you to step up for the OP and tell her that "everyone sleeps banana style," as you have previously asserted.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

I have no idea what "banana style" is. I sleep at a diagonal across my hammock for a nice flat lay and comfortable sleep. Though this is getting really entertaining... lol.

Looking for feedback on possible new setup

If you can get a diagonal lay in the sleeping bag, that's great. Sometimes pod style insulation doesn't allow for a diagonal lay. Instead, you can can end up mostly straight laying, shaped like a banana. That's what that means.

I'm a little late to the party, apparently, but will chime in if it's not too late.

Working sorta backwards, the Outdoor Vitals tarp doesn't look too bad in terms of size and weight. You won't be unhappy with it. It wouldn't be my first choice, but it's an okay choice.

For hammock and bugnet, though, I think you can get lighter and maybe cheaper.

For the bugnet, look into the HUG style half bugnets. AHE sells one and possibly somebody else does too. Weight can't be beat if you can live with the style. I've made a couple and bought one more and they do work if the rest of you is covered by your quilt. I'm not sure, however, whether it would work with your preferred pod style insulation, so there's that to consider.

For the hammock, instead of a sub-10 footer off Amazon, why not look at any of the netless hammocks from Dutch or Dream Hammock or AHE or any number of other vendors for around the same price or less? I paid, I think, $32 for an 11-footer from Dutch in 2014 and it's still going strong after a lot of use.

But....If you can sew or know someone who does, a really good option is to make your own. Look at the kits from RBTR, which are much less than the price of the hammock you linked to on Amazon. Sewing a hammock is not particularly difficult since it's just a rectangular piece of fabric hemmed on all four sides. You'd spend less money and have more pride in hanging in something you made.

Whatever you finally decide, don't dither about it. Just get whatever you're going to get, go outdoors and start using it to have fun. It ain't a beauty contest and refinements can come later. Heck, I cook dinner using a stove I made from a catfood can and an Imusa pot that costs $2.69. Food tastes just as good as what's made by the guys with their Jetboil and titanium kettles.
    Last edited by sidneyhornblower; 04-24-2019 at 04:17. Reason: a bit more info
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Chamelon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20 TnB
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    A standard hammock gear with continuous loops would cost you the same amount as the wise owl. BTW I have one of the wise owls and it is okay just to lounge in the backyard but I don't think I could sleep in it overnight.

Hammock
    Dutch Half Zip
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Greylock 3/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    You've obviously already made up your mind. Buy the Amazon stuff.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wookie, Costco, EE
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    I've been doing this a long time.. I am not sure what a hammock compatible sleeping bag is or why an integrated but net would not work with a sleeping bag. What are you using as bottom insulation?

I don't mean any disrespect but most TQ's don't weight nearly as much as a sleeping bag. A bag in a hammock is going to leave your underside freezing.

I am going to withdraw from any further comments as I get the feeling you have some really strong, though rather misguided opinions about what you want to do and don't really want input from those of who really know what are doing... Good luck.
    I second that. MikekiM always gives thoughtful advice.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BBXLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie; Bandit XL
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    Go for it! Even if you replace it down the road it will get you out and comfy in the woods. I have cheap and expensive hammocks and continue to sleep in both. Some folks need to be uppity about something in life and around here they choose to do so about a piece of fabric tied together at the ends. Hang your own hang and don't let your life suck like theirs.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast