Tarp
    HG DCF std camo
    Insulation
    WB DB + Wooki 20*
    Suspension
    Dyneema + Becket

I have a couple of newby questions...

Hello all.

I'm in the initial stages of prepping for 8-9 weeks on the AT (maybe longer if I can swing a few months between military retirement and my next job, possible thru-hike, but doubtful) starting March 2021.

I'm going to spread my gear buys out between now and then, and am about 99% sure I'm going to hammock it due to age (50 now) and a deep appreciation for what a restful nights' sleep does for you over time. I hiked a bit of the AT in the Smoky Mountains way back in '91, slept in the shelters in a crappy Wal-Mart sleeping bag (the zipper broke the first night) on a crappy Wal-Mart pad and was absolutely miserable. I can put up with a lot during the day, but I want my sleep to be as restful as possible.

I'm aiming toward a WBBB system including UQ Protector, and I have a (probably dumb with painfully obvious answers) question I need some clarification on if you don't mind.

I don't know what temperature rating TQ/UQ to purchase. I sleep warm to hot and would prefer to have one set for the entire trip even if the trip gets longer as I hope it will, but I'm not sure if this is feasible/recommended. In my head, I see two options and need a sanity check/critique...

1. I buy a colder rated TQ/UQ set (20-30 deg), add clothes as needed on cold nights and use less clothes/kick a leg out or whatever on the warmer nights.

2. I buy a warmer rated set (40 maybe?), add a Top Cover to the UQ Protector (this is called The Chinook, yes?) and lot of clothes for the colder nights, and as before use less clothes/kick a leg out for the warmer ones.

I'd really like to buy once, cry once on this.

Thanks very much!

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I do the buy once cry once myself. Went with 20F top and bottom. I can always vent if needed. The down side to this is weight and compression. If you go with a 40F set it will be lighter by a few oz and compress smaller.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    The UQ has to be good enough. More/better doesn't make me warmer, but it is more weight and bulk to carry. If my TQ is too warm, I get too warm. I can vent it somewhat, but I try for temperature mid range with plan to add warmth, when needed by wearing night cap/hat, closer tarp setup, use of a top cover, etc.

If you are using a UQP, I'm guessing a 40 degree UQ would be enough more often than not. I'm in the PNW, high desert, and know nothing about the east coast climate. For example, I hear you have something called humidity over there; can breath water right out of the air.

You are going to be on the trail for 2 months. It would probably makes a difference if those two months are at the beginning, middle, or end of summer as you transition into warmer/colder seasons. Perhaps you can have a mid-range hammock (quilts) setup and carry warmer clothes that you can mail back home as you move into warmer temperatures.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 04-20-2019 at 14:30.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hi MuadDale,

First of all, an underquilt protector is probably a good idea. It took me several years to come to that conclusion, but since I've had mine I've not regretted it. On super cold nights or windy conditions, the UQP makes a difference.

As far as temperature ratings go, my preference (and it's what I did more or less out of dumb luck) is get 20 degree quilts. If you want to save a small amount of weight/bulk, you can get a 3/4 length underquilt. I've used my AHE Jarbidge down to 18 degrees on the low end and as high as the 60s on the upper end. It's relatively trivial to vent an underquilt or install it loosely when temps are warmer.

I've had similar luck with my Hudson River top quilt from Jacks R Better. I think it's technically rated at 25 to 30 degrees, but that's conservative, IMO. I've used it on that 18 degree night and everywhere in between up to the 60s. Super easy to vent it.

To cover your bases when it's colder, yes you can supplement with something else. I sometimes use a small 20 x 20 inch CCF pad to kill cold spots on my back, and I've added various fleece or other stuff on top when it's below freezing.

The only reason I'd spring for a 40 degree set would be if I had abundant discretionary funds to play with and was able to switch out quilts easily, not something that sounds like it'll be happening on a thru-hike. Go with the 20s on your quilts.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

I have a couple of newby questions...

I'd recommend a 20 degree underquilt and a 20 degree top quilt for starters. then branch out to get a 40 degree top quilt. the 20 degree underquilt is very versatile and can be used nearly year round. If you're doing a lot of miles a day, I'd recommend a 3/4 length underquilt to save some weight and pack space.
    Last edited by Dlrocm; 04-20-2019 at 10:52.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 PolyD; Junglenest
    Tarp
    HG; ENO
    Insulation
    HG; Jacks R Better
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    I do very little cold weather hanging, but my 20 degree underquilt and 40 degree top quilt has served me well down to at least 25 degrees. I have used the 20 degree underquilt in mid Summer in North Georgia and North Carolina by venting. Wishing you luck on your choice.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado SL
    Tarp
    HG DCF std camo
    Insulation
    WB DB + Wooki 20*
    Suspension
    Dyneema + Becket
    OK thanks very much for the help everyone. I'll put a 20 degree set on the shopping list.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MuadDale View Post
    OK thanks very much for the help everyone. I'll put a 20 degree set on the shopping list.
    Speaking of buying/crying once, IMO it's best to buy quilts with 10D shells (inside and out!) mostly because they're far more compressible, even if weight is not a concern for you, although a bit less weight will be a side benefit.

10D might seem fragile, but I have an older Enlightened Equipment quilt that has been used quite a bit by both me and my dog for a few years and it has suffered no damage... although it is due for a wash!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WB Eldorado SL
    Tarp
    HG DCF std camo
    Insulation
    WB DB + Wooki 20*
    Suspension
    Dyneema + Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Speaking of buying/crying once, IMO it's best to buy quilts with 10D shells (inside and out!) mostly because they're far more compressible, even if weight is not a concern for you, although a bit less weight will be a side benefit.

10D might seem fragile, but I have an older Enlightened Equipment quilt that has been used quite a bit by both me and my dog for a few years and it has suffered no damage... although it is due for a wash!
    Thank you cmoulder!

*updates spreadsheet*

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I concur with the set of 20 degree quilts. I’d go with3/4 length UQ to save some weight/cost/bulk.
    You can supplement with other gear if it’s cooler - UQP, using down coat in your sleep system, hot water bottle, hand warmers, extra buff.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast