Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images

Trip planning, my longest trip, where to go

I reserved May 3 (starting after work) thru May 12 to get out for my first trip that's longer than 4 nights. That's the most I usually do. I'm totally undecided where to go! I have a few places in mind, even a loose itinerary for "Plan A", but not set in stone. I'll likely keep it to 6 nights and get stuff done around the house the rest of my time off.

I plan on stocking my Jeep with some stuff like extra food, clean hiking pants, fuel, etc. in case I make some stops on the way back. Seems like it would be fun to make two "separate" trips out of one. It would be nice to have some company, but at the same time I want to just do my own thing and "decompress".

Playing the weather...that may be the deciding factor on where I go. The UP vs. WV, a wide spread, so I have some nice options. I guess it could end with a coin flip. Driving to WV will literally take me right past Hammock Gear, so that would be a nice destination on the way!

Anyway, this was more of a rambling on thread than anything else. Really, really, really, really looking forward to this one!!

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Those are some tough choices, both are beautiful areas. You could use how much non society time you are desiring as a metric. If alone time is a priority, you're going to see far, far fewer people up in the U.P. especially that early in the season.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Always good to have a plan A, B, and C. You could always base camp at Seney Township Park again. . Wish I could bug out and join you on this one.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair/WB XLC
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    HG, WB and WL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If you were going just a little later in the year I would strongly suggest a BWCA trip or the Superior Hiking Trail. That being said, that time of year you might be better off heading to WV. Either way, I bet you're really looking forward to this trip.
    -Jameson
    Proud Member of the North Country Trail Association-Hiawatha Shore to Shore Chapter
    http://www.northcountrytrail.org/

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    SHT would be great, but I really need to limit the drive time to around 8 hours. I don't mind pounding out miles, but beyond that I start losing the will to go.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I don't have any suggestions or opinion on your locations.. but I will tell you I am jealous! Just getting out is good enough, a killer location is a bonus.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon, DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex, DIY
    Insulation
    HG, DIY
    Suspension
    Straps, Beetles
    Images
    I am jealous as well! Work is so crazy for me right now that I don’t dare take more than a long weekend off.

Maybe Isle Royale?
    Or,
    You could always check the Sheltowee Trace trail...it’s within your driving distance

Snippet from the web:

History

Climbing between deep hemlock gorges and piney, craggy summits, the Sheltowee Trace is a 319-mile National Recreation Trail (2015 alignment) that spans the Daniel Boone National Forest and Big South Fork National River and Recreation Area in Kentucky and Tennessee. The name "Sheltowee" honors the history of Daniel Boone, who was captured by Shawnee Indians while making salt in an area close to the present-day trail. Chief Blackfish, his adopted Shawnee father, renamed him Sheltowee, which meant "Big Turtle."

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    The drive and logistics of Isle Royale really make it unattractive for me. Was on the list for years, but I since scratched it.

Weather forecasts will start to be a little more accurate over the weekend so I'll take a look and try to decide. Also trying to decide between an easy relaxing trip vs. big miles every day...I don't know. I like having options but it certainly makes it hard sometimes.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Hmmm... ignoring the WV / MN requirement....
    You could drive to Mountain Harbour Hostel. Stay the night and get a shuttle to Carvers Gap for 2 nights on a glorious section on the AT. And high elevation so you won’t be too hot.
    Then you could bounce over to Linville Gorge (views) or Wilson Creek (waterfalls) area... or a bit further to Grayson Highlands.

• + New Posts