HyperD 1.6 DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    PolyD 4000 Cat hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies and hooks

Leg shelf?

The HG underquilts all look like they have less insulation under the legs. Is that what's going on or am I missing something? I watched Shug's video on them and he mentions that it helps to keep it on your legs. It still doesn't explain what's going on there, for me. Maybe I'm dumb, but I almost need to get hands on one. Folks love them, I know. And I will likely be going with one as soon as funds allow. Just wanna know what I'm getting at.

Cheers,
    The Goat
    Last edited by Billy Goat; 04-28-2019 at 17:10.
    Cheers,
    The Goat

Hammock
    DH Darien / WBBB
    Tarp
    HEX Asym / Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ 40
    Suspension
    Beetle/ Cinch
    Images
    I've never heard that.
    But as Shug said: Make sure to fluff it (to give a bit of shake).
    That way you can move the down inside the baffles.

Hammock
    SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett
    The way its cut, there is a small pop upward that helps prevent an air gap under the knees.
    Not sure if there's physically less down or loft under there...

Hammock
    DH Darien / WBBB
    Tarp
    HEX Asym / Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ 40
    Suspension
    Beetle/ Cinch
    Images
    Here is the video where Shug talks about that:

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat View Post
    The HG underquilts all look like they have less insulation under the legs. Is that what's going on or am I missing something? I watched Shug's video on them and he mentions that it helps to keep it on your legs. It still doesn't explain what's going on there, for me. Maybe. I'm dumb, but I almost need to get hands on one. Folks love them, I know. And I will likely be going with one as soon as funds allow. Just wanna know what I'm getting at.

Cheers,
    The Goat
    Stormcrows official name is ergonomically designed body contour or something like that. I gave it the name leg shelf back when they first came out. I received one of the first he made. I thought is was poor workmanship and took picts to email them about it. Turned out it was a brandnew feature not a flaw. I had a lot of trouble keeping the quilt in place and I'd end up with a huge air gap at my back becasue thru the night I would slowly move down in my hammock and my butt would end up on the leg shelf. This causes a huge air gap and your back goes ice cold.

I also had problems as a side sleeper my leg would push the legshelf down causing a gap again where your butt usually goes. I ended up selling the quilt because I just don't ever sleep on my back. I really wish they would offer both an standard rectangle and this model.

Last edited by OutandBack; 04-29-2019 at 00:05.

Hammock
    SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett
    Hmmm... now that you mention that outandback, I wonder if I had my incubator positioned wrong. Iv never been able to get to the temp rating of it. But me 3/4 rectangle quilt, that is work out and under filled, gets me to its rating just fine.
    Always thought i couldn't keep a full length quilt in position, but perhaps it was I never have it set up properly to start with.

I'm moving to a bridge hammock this year, where there is a very noticable curve from the butt to the knee and back down to the heel. Much more exaggerated compared to the ge style. I'm hoping the incubator contours well to that application.

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    I think it is purposeful in design that it has less insulation on the legs because people’s legs hardly ever get cold so why carry extra weight? The Alaskans wear shorts when it’s 50 degrees and I see many of my Chicago neighbors do the same. It shows that if you keep the torso warm, the legs will be fine with less. I think it’s a weight savings that is based on this generalization.
    Get lost in the woods and find yourself again. A vacation,to me, is working with your hands and surviving because of the fruits of your labor. In the business world I teach;in the natural world I learn.

Hammock
    HyperD 1.6 DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    PolyD 4000 Cat hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies and hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    ... I had a lot of trouble keeping the quilt in place and I'd end up with a huge air gap at my back becasue thru the night I would slowly move down in my hammock and my butt would end up on the leg shelf. This causes a huge air gap and your back goes ice cold.

I also had problems as a side sleeper my leg would push the legshelf down causing a gap again where your butt usually goes.
    Oh, wow. Good to know. I usually wind up moving around a fair bit in the night and will often wind up on my side for a good portion of the night. I will certainly have to keep that in mind. Thanks for the reply.

They look physically thinner on the leg area to me. If I could poke around on one in person that would be great but our group hangs around here aren't as frequent as I would like.

Cheers,
    The Goat
    Last edited by Billy Goat; 04-29-2019 at 05:24.
    Cheers,
    The Goat

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat View Post
    Oh, wow. Good to know. I usually wind up moving around a fair bit in the night and will often wind up on my side for a good portion of the night. I will certainly have yo keep that in mind. Thanks for the reply.

They look physically thinner on the leg area to me. If I could poke around on one in person that would be great but our group hangs around here aren't as frequent as I would like.

Cheers,
    The Goat
    I never felt the leg area was thinner and my legs never got cold. Many don't realize how low or centered your body ends up by morning. It is really important to adjust the UQ to keep your butt in that dip. Many over tighten that secondary suspension the short lines this pulls the UQ too close to the head end of the hammock. Being able to reachout and grab both sides of the UQ and slide it up and down the primary suspension(the shockcord that is in the grosegain along the edges) making sure your butt is in the hole will make a huge difference in the warmth the UQ gives you. My quilt was made before Stormcrow invented the secondary suspension. Once you understand all this the fiddle factor drops to next to nothing.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 04-29-2019 at 00:28.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    On a related note, DO NOT get a short incubator and expect it to fit if you're outside of the recommended range. I sound like a broken record with this, but I struggled and don't want others to.

"Short" does not translate to "4/5 size" or "7/8 size" or "space saving" or "lighter". It's simply not a proper fit for me at 5'9". It's more complex than simply ending at your ankles opposed to toes or whatever. That "anatomical fit" isn't BS; it's how the quilt is designed to fit your body, legs, butt, etc. If you get a short quilt and it ends up putting that leg shelf closer to your butt, you've ruined the whole fit and will likely end up with cold spots.

Now the Phoenix, that's a different story since it's a simple design without the shelf. It will literally fit anyone from 4' to 8' tall...it will just cover less body the taller you are.

I just don't want people to think the "shelf" is a bad thing. It's a great thing until you get people like me, I admit, that don't "follow the instructions"...then have issues.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast