I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Make sure to set it up properly and it all works.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    The baffles definitely change height in the leg area. While the down is free to move within the individual baffle, there will be more in the torso area because there is more space. With my Incubators, only the outer shell has a contour, not the inner shell. With regards to the fit, I couldn't feel a difference to underquilts without contoured baffles. Personally, I like the fact that there is more insulation under the torso. I need a lot of insulation under my torso, but not much under the legs. That's an easy way to save a little bit of weight for me.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Hi everyone!

With all do respect to hutzelbein, a VERY seasoned hammock hanger and owner of many Hammock Gear quilts, her information is a little bit off in the case of baffle height and shell contours... In fact, the HEIGHT of the baffle does not change at all thoughout the construction of a Hammock Gear quilt. The WIDTH changes in the underquilts as part of the differential articulation, but the thickness remains constant. This brings up the inner and outer shell. They are indeed BOTH contoured. If you and another person hold the underquilt by the corners with the inner shell facing up, and pull them tight (not TOO tight! lol), you can see the differental built into the inner shell.

It is very common for people to think that the baffles in the leg area of the Incubator/Phoenix are not as thick as the torso. Again, this is not that case. It only appears that way because the quilt is following the contour of the person laying in the hammock. Think of the quilt baffles like a flexible piece hose that follows the shape of a loaded hammock (someone in it). I hope it makes sense. Someone out there can probably come up with a neat drawing to illustate what I am trying to describe. .

So many people sleep in so many different positions. Designing a universally fitting quilt is not something I have figured out how to do yet.... The goal of the Incubator/Phoenix has always been to try to eliminate that cold pocket that can sometimes form in the pocket that is created as the body shape transitions from the lower back into the leg area. The dreaded CBS...They both do a pretty good job at it but, Like Out and Back experienced, they might now be for everyone. Personally I am a side and fetal position sleeper and I find that they work great for me. Also like Out and Back and One Click mentioned, positioning can be pretty important. And that positioning can be greatly helped by hanging that hammock foot end a bit higher so that your torso does not find the center of the hammock during the night.

We have a few more things coming out of the shop soon. Maybe I will get to work on a version of the quilt with a little less "shelf", .

~Stormcrow
    Last edited by stormcrow; 05-29-2019 at 11:21.
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    Hi everyone!

With all do respect to hutzelbein, a VERY seasoned hammock hanger and owner of many Hammock Gear quilts, her information is a little bit off in the case of baffle height and shell contours... In fact, the HEIGHT of the baffle does not change at all thoughout the construction of a Hammock Gear quilt. The WIDTH changes in the underquilts as part of the differential articulation, but the thickness remains constant. This brings up the inner and outer shell. They are indeed BOTH contoured. If you and another person hold the underquilt by the corners with the inner shell facing up, and pull them tight (not TOO tight! lol), you can see the differental built into the inner shell.

It is very common for people to think that the baffles in the leg area of the Incubator/Phoenix are not as thick as the torso. Again, this is not that case. It only appears that way because the quilt is following the contour of the person laying in the hammock. Think of the quilt baffles like a flexible piece hose that follows the shape of a loaded hammock (someone in it). I hope it makes sense. Someone out there can probably come up with a neat drawing to illustate what I am trying to describe. .

So many people sleep in so many different positions. Designing a universally fitting quilt is not something I have figured out how to do yet.... The goal of the Incubator/Phoenix has always been to try to eliminate that cold pocket that can sometimes form in the pocket that is created as the body shape transitions from the lower back into the leg area. The dreaded CBS...They both do a pretty good job at it but, Like Out and Back experienced, they might now be for everyone. Personally I am a side and fetal position sleeper and I find that they work great for me. Also like Out and Back and One Click mentioned, positioning can be pretty important. And that positioning can be greatly helped by hanging that hammock foot end a bit higher so that your torso does not find the center of the hammock during the night.

We have a few more things coming out of the shop soon. Maybe I will get to work on a version of the quilt with a little less "shelf", .

~Stormcrow
    You guys should add an auto ship feature or something kinda like Amazon's "dash" buttons lol. The user can store their preferences (body height, colors, temps,etc) in their profile and when you come out with a new product , the item is made to those specs and shipped automatically. How cool would it be to get home from work one day to find a new HG quilt , hammock or tarp that was just put up on the website a few days ago and that's exactly the colors and temp ratings you like!
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12