DIY Gathered end w/bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY/Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Karo Step tquq
    Suspension
    UCR/Tree Hugger

.93 Membrane Silpoly Reinforcements w/pockets

Hello all. I've ordered some membrane silpoly from RBTR to make a lighter tarp for myself. On my current tarp I made the reinforcements double as guyline storage pockets. With the membrane I see you are supposed to glue it first and then stitch it. I had a few questions for those that have used this fabric:

1. Do I need to make a rolled hem on the unfinished edge of the fabric prior to gluing?

2. Does it matter how I stitch the loop for the guyline on? (a couple of rows of stiching, boxed x, etc.)

3. Does the tie out loop need to be on the opposite side of the tarp from the reinforcement patch or the same side or does it matter?

4. Has anyone made reinforcement patches with pockets with the .93 membrane silpoly that can post some pics.

I may be overthinking this, just don't want to botch the project. Thanks for any help!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    I haven't used the .93 membrane, but I have glued the reinforcements, the silicone will seal the edges, so they don't need to be hemmed.

Brian

I would make a rolled hem. You only need to do it on one side since the other two will be rolled in the hem of the tarp and it will be stronger. Having said that, I have seen people do circular reinforcement patches whereas I do triangles. I wouldn't try to do a rolled hem on a circular patch, just glue. I just sewed the reinforcements on my MEMBRANE silpoly tarp and have had zero issues that others have reported, so I'm not sure what I did wrong...

I stitch a box w/x's for my tie outs. I wouldn't use a bartack for the 0.93 unless you have the stitching set fairly wide. I put the tieout grosgrain on both the inside and outside of the tarp before stitching it because I prefer to have the tarp material sandwiched between the stronger grosgrain, though it may not matter.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Dyneema
    Insulation
    warbonnet lynx
    Suspension
    dutch jewelery
    Made several tarps out of this fabric. Big, winter, and small tarps too. I stopped making the reinforcements after the first tarp. The second I made just put small piece of grosgrain into the rolled hem in the place where the pullout is planned to be. After hemming around the tarp, I sew the grosgrain loops with linelocks /pullouts/ just in the place of the grosgrain reinforced hem. No further. It was just experiment in the beginning, but now I am convinced that the reinforcements made of fabric triangles or circles and making additional holes with needle is not necessary at all. I stitch the grosgrain loops with box stitch.

Interesting, I just saw a guy on youtube do the same with silpoly 1.1. Thought he screwed up. Interesting to say the least.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered end w/bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY/Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Karo Step tquq
    Suspension
    UCR/Tree Hugger
    Roman3006, can you post a link? I've pretty much made up my mind just to do the bonded reinforcement as suggested by RBTR. I found video of a guy who just used velcro straps sewn into the grossgrain loops to manage the cord, which would be very simple.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by smars View Post
    Hello all. I've ordered some membrane silpoly from RBTR to make a lighter tarp for myself. On my current tarp I made the reinforcements double as guyline storage pockets. With the membrane I see you are supposed to glue it first and then stitch it. I had a few questions for those that have used this fabric:
    I did a few tarps with Silpoly Membrane.. Bonded the corner patches but didn't sew them. I made them larger than normal and the bonding was sufficient. All of my tarps have had bonded, circular reinforcement patches.
    1. Do I need to make a rolled hem on the unfinished edge of the fabric prior to gluing?

Yes I did do a quarter inch rolled hem around the perimeter, capturing the reinforcement patch at the edge
    2. Does it matter how I stitch the loop for the guyline on? (a couple of rows of stiching, boxed x, etc.)

I did a straight stitch box & X pattern

3. Does the tie out loop need to be on the opposite side of the tarp from the reinforcement patch or the same side or does it matter?

I always sandwich the tarp material between the two sides of grosgrain
    4. Has anyone made reinforcement patches with pockets with the .93 membrane silpoly that can post some pics.

That I never did.

Look in my HammockForum albums.. I have pics of the bonded patches and such.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Roman3006, can you post a link? I've pretty much made up my mind just to do the bonded reinforcement as suggested by RBTR. I found video of a guy who just used velcro straps sewn into the grossgrain loops to manage the cord, which would be very simple.
    Sorry I was responding to the guy above my post. But the video is a guy that makes tarps his handle is wild gear adventures. I looked at some tents/tarps that I own. They all seem to just sew the tie outs to the roll hem put most do have a reinforcement patch but the actual tie out isnt even stitched to the patch. If it is good enough for those I am debating on doing this method with maybe just a small adhesive only patch at each tie out. Sure would be easier then doing all that stitching. My sewing isnt that great yet.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Adhesive only on the patches works fine..
    Lay the adhesive about 0.25" larger than your reinforcement patch and then once the patch is laid down, make sure there are no gaps or bubbles at the edge of the patch material. Pics in my HF albums of the templates I made to control the amount of adhesive I laid down.

Looked for that YouTube channel.. Couldn't find it.. are you sure it's Wild Gear Adventures?

Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast