Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Halfed View Post
    I saved money to get the HG Econ Phoenix. Couldn't be happier! It is light and packs small.
    Awesome! Do you have any problems with a 3/4 at low temps?

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Well, many will say that you just need to use a ccf or similar pad in the footbox of your TQ to add insulation to your 3/4 UQ. I've tried this, and it just doesn't work for me. However, I know from experience that my feet are just fine using a 3/4 UQ down to 30* F.
    Wow, yeah that's really nice. Also, I'm a side sleeper, so maybe the shorter length wouldn't be too much of a problem anyway

Images
    The 3/4 length is also in line with other considerations from your wish list - by nature, it's lighter and packs smaller than a full length equivalent.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    The 3/4 come in different lengths too, so just to give you and idea:
    FYI - I'm 5'9" 165 lbs and the 58" Jarbridge fits me perfectly. I can side sleep and have coverage for the shoulders on down with just a slight bend of the knees.
    The HG eco or Jarbridge should fit your needs. Check their lengths and compart to your height.

Also, watch the FS (for sale) posts for a Jarbridge UQs - they often show up for sale here at about $75 (and that includes shipping). I doubt you will find a used HG eco for sale but you never know.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    DH Darien / WBBB
    Tarp
    HEX Asym / Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ 40
    Suspension
    Beetle/ Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nateweger View Post
    Awesome! Do you have any problems with a 3/4 at low temps?
    Not yet. I have recently got it and didn't have time to go camping. I will carry a piece of windscreen sun shade just in case. I also have an UQP (underquilt protector), it should add some extra warmth, but I'm not sure.
    Last edited by Halfed; 05-04-2019 at 15:53.

Quote Originally Posted by nateweger View Post
    My only concern with the Jarbridge is that it seems to be only 3/4 length. That seems like a deal-breaker to me, am I wrong making that assumption?
    Whether it's a deal breaker depends on your height more than anything else. I'm 5'9" and love my Jarbidge, which I grabbed on sale a few years back. Mine is the 3-season version, and I've had it down into the low 20s several times. My record with it is an 18 degree night this past March up near Coosa Bald (photos on my Instagram page).

Don't be afraid of a 3/4 length quilt. Mine gives me shoulder to ankle coverage, so I don't even use a pad under my feet but that's a viable addition. Some people put a small sit pad or something similar under their feet and use a 3/4 quilt.

And Paul at AHE is a fine guy to buy from.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    The 3/4 length is also in line with other considerations from your wish list - by nature, it's lighter and packs smaller than a full length equivalent.
    That's a good point, I wasn't even thinking about that part

Quote Originally Posted by oldpappy View Post
    The 3/4 come in different lengths too, so just to give you and idea:
    FYI - I'm 5'9" 165 lbs and the 58" Jarbridge fits me perfectly. I can side sleep and have coverage for the shoulders on down with just a slight bend of the knees.
    The HG eco or Jarbridge should fit your needs. Check their lengths and compart to your height.

Also, watch the FS (for sale) posts for a Jarbridge UQs - they often show up for sale here at about $75 (and that includes shipping). I doubt you will find a used HG eco for sale but you never know.
    I'm 6'1, maybe I should go with the full length then. That's a good idea to watch the FS posts, still figuring out what's going on around here

Quote Originally Posted by Halfed View Post
    Not yet. I have recently got it and didn't have time to go camping. I will carry a piece of windscreen sun shade just in case. I also have an UQP (underquilt protector), it should add some extra warmth, but I'm not sure.
    Let us know how it goes!!

Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    Whether it's a deal breaker depends on your height more than anything else. I'm 5'9" and love my Jarbidge, which I grabbed on sale a few years back. Mine is the 3-season version, and I've had it down into the low 20s several times. My record with it is an 18 degree night this past March up near Coosa Bald (photos on my Instagram page).

Don't be afraid of a 3/4 length quilt. Mine gives me shoulder to ankle coverage, so I don't even use a pad under my feet but that's a viable addition. Some people put a small sit pad or something similar under their feet and use a 3/4 quilt.

And Paul at AHE is a fine guy to buy from.
    Thanks for the tips! I'm 6'1, might be a little cooler but shouldn't be a big difference. 18 is pretty good, wow. For the 3/4 coverage, wouldn't your head be getting cold too? I just assumed head coverage was a priority. Thanks for the tip on Paul at AHE, I'll check it out!

Thanks everybody, I'm loving all of the advice and I'm learning a ton!

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Your head/neck are kept warm by wearing a warm hat and hood. I also use a small pillow. There are many options for a pillow - sometimes a fleece top, sometimes my extra socks/shirt in a stuff sack, or sometimes just a piece of open cell foam. I also use a sleeping bag with a hood when below about 40F.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    WBXLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UQ and pad
    Suspension
    Webbing + Buckles
    I'm still new at this, so take this with a grain, but I picked up A Crua Quilt to try out as a cheap summer quilt for $59: https://www.cruaoutdoors.com/products/crua-quilt?

The OneTigiris Underquilt has been making the review rounds for a while now for $65: https://www.onetigris.com/catalog/product/view/id/154

Though I agree with others, if you're serious about hammock camping, then save for one of the HammockGear quilts and cry once.

Images
    Just my 2 cents, but I'd advise against the OneTigris. I bought one of those as my very first hammock underquilt but returned it after one use. It didn't allow me to get into a comfortable diagonal.

If budget was the biggest factor, I'd recommend the Snugpak underblanket over the OneTigris, but the OP mentioned lightweight and small packed volume, and the Snugpak is pretty poor in both of those categories. It is comfortable though and warm enough for 1-3 season use, depending on how cold a sleeper you are. It's full length, also.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast