Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie

DIY netless with monolite

Made a hammock with the new monolite material. Topped it off with diy whoopie slings and diy fixed length Ridgeline. Test to come soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF Stnd + WP
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Nice job..

I made a Monolite a few weeks back. Just finished adding a removable Half Wit style bug net. Hammock came in at 8 ounces on the button, in a DCF stuff sack. The net weighs 2.4 ounces in it's own sack.

I am surprised how comfortable the monolite is... arguable more comfortable than my DIY 1.2 Robic Half Wit. Although I have not spent multiple nights in the Monolite and that's usually the determining factor as far as comfort is concerned..
    * The difficulty of finding any given trail marker is directly proportional to the importance of the consequences of failing to find it.

* I can lift all the weight I want at the gym. Walking shouldn't be a workout. ~ Just Bill

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Nice job..

I made a Monolite a few weeks back. Just finished adding a removable Half Wit style bug net. Hammock came in at 8 ounces on the button, in a DCF stuff sack. The net weighs 2.4 ounces in it's own sack.

I am surprised how comfortable the monolite is... arguable more comfortable than my DIY 1.2 Robic Half Wit. Although I have not spent multiple nights in the Monolite and that's usually the determining factor as far as comfort is concerned..
    Thanks. It feels a little more rough than my Hexon 1.0 hammock but I havn't slept in it overnight yet. I have spent over 100 nights in the hexon one so if I make another I may go with hexon again but sounds like it may be more comfortable than I expect as you have discovered. I may put a full bug net on it if it turns out to be comfy.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF Stnd + WP
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    Thanks. It feels a little more rough than my Hexon 1.0 hammock but I havn't slept in it overnight yet. I have spent over 100 nights in the hexon one so if I make another I may go with hexon again but sounds like it may be more comfortable than I expect as you have discovered. I may put a full bug net on it if it turns out to be comfy.
    Yes, I find it has a bit more texture, but that's welcomed. No matter how high I pitch the foot end I always seem to slide to that end and the bit of texture might reduce sliding a bit.

My preferred fabric is 1.6 Hyper D.. it's the benchmark. A few years ago I made an 11' with full detachable bug net using modified #3 coil zippers. But I later realized I don't use the full bug net often enough to carry the weight penalty of all that zipper tape, so made a Half Wit clone in 1.2 Robic with a fixed Nano Noseeum bug net. It works, but the super lite noseeum seems to blow around with every wisp of air and the Robic gives me mad shoulder squeeze.. so I thought I would try a different fabric.. the Monolite and a different bug net (Sort of a HUG net in 0.67) that is fully removable and can be swapped to the Hyper D hammock.

I was surprised that the Monolite with half #3 zippers still came in as lite as it is.

I'll get a night or two in the yard to test it, but I am doing a four day trip later this month and will give it a try then.

Never tried Hexon 1.0.
    * The difficulty of finding any given trail marker is directly proportional to the importance of the consequences of failing to find it.

* I can lift all the weight I want at the gym. Walking shouldn't be a workout. ~ Just Bill

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Yes, I find it has a bit more texture, but that's welcomed. No matter how high I pitch the foot end I always seem to slide to that end and the bit of texture might reduce sliding a bit.

My preferred fabric is 1.6 Hyper D.. it's the benchmark. A few years ago I made an 11' with full detachable bug net using modified #3 coil zippers. But I later realized I don't use the full bug net often enough to carry the weight penalty of all that zipper tape, so made a Half Wit clone in 1.2 Robic with a fixed Nano Noseeum bug net. It works, but the super lite noseeum seems to blow around with every wisp of air and the Robic gives me mad shoulder squeeze.. so I thought I would try a different fabric.. the Monolite and a different bug net (Sort of a HUG net in 0.67) that is fully removable and can be swapped to the Hyper D hammock.

I was surprised that the Monolite with half #3 zippers still came in as lite as it is.

I'll get a night or two in the yard to test it, but I am doing a four day trip later this month and will give it a try then.

Never tried Hexon 1.0.
    Ah. I always enjoy my bug net but know many folks who prefer no net. I have little issues with keeping my weight down so I gladly bring my full net and trap with doors on every trip.

Sounds like you will get some good info on comfort of the monolite soon. I am going to take mine to the linville George hang in a few weeks. For now I'll probably use my summer sock I got a few years ago back when they didnt have zippers.