WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    WookieUQ BurrowTQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Thanks for all the feed back. I typically don’t like to bother vendors unless I’m buying from them, but I might make an exception with this.

I don’t hike so weight isn’t a big deal but pack size is. I travel by motorcycle so space is limited, but weight doesn’t really bother it.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    WookieUQ BurrowTQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    After comparing the arrowhead to the HG with all options being the same the price ends up with in a few dollars of each other. I know the HG has a wait of about 4weeks which isn’t a huge deal to me. If I stick with the forum recommendations looks like it’s $150 for an under quilt.

For the top quilt I have a Big Agnus lost ranger 15 degree bag. It works fine for me as a top quilt since the BA system isn’t insulated on the bottom. It depends on a pad for bottom insulation.

So if I am willing to do $150 for a Underquilt does that Ofer up more options than just the arios head and the HG?

Images
    If $150 is within reach, I don't think you'll find a better value option than the HG Econ Incubator. There is always the option of a HG Econ Phoenix, though, if you're ok with partial length. You can get a 20* model for $110 or a 40* model for $90. (I don't think you ever specified what temp UQ you're looking to buy)

https://www.hammockgear.com/economy-phoenix/
    Last edited by cmc4free; 05-09-2019 at 10:51.

Hammock
    Darian
    Tarp
    Currently hunting
    Insulation
    Enigma/HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    At your new price range I was just reading about a new Cedar Ridge UQ through Dutch that is 135.00 for a full length 20 degree weighs about 1.5 Lbs. Full disclosure, I have the HG incubator and love it

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Here’s a suggestion. Use a pad for the meantime. Save up some money and wait for a good deal to show up on the for sale section here on the forum. Lots of good deals show up there.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Newlyofftheground View Post
    At your new price range I was just reading about a new Cedar Ridge UQ through Dutch that is 135.00 for a full length 20 degree weighs about 1.5 Lbs. Full disclosure, I have the HG incubator and love it
    Nice addition. However, it should be noted this is for the synthetic UP insulated version. The 850 FP down version is $260. I haven't heard too many reviews yet of the UP insulation.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    WookieUQ BurrowTQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I’m looking for 20degree UQ. I figure it it’s too warm for that I can just hang it loose to let air in. I prefer a full length and not have to cool with pads. The night I spent in the snugpak I had to use a 3/4 thermarest to keep warm. While that work ok, I’d prefer not to have to pack it around. Don’t really want to fiddle with a small pad by my feet. I have a memory foam pillow. It floated around enough that I just let it land where it wanted and put on a beanie. I really didn’t need a pillow and way.

Images
    I seriously doubt you'd be disappointed in any way with a 20* standard length HG Econ Incubator - for $150. And if you decided you did want something different, once you reach 50 posts here, you gain permission to join the sellers group and then you could probably resell the quilt for at least $125.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    WookieUQ BurrowTQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    Here’s a suggestion. Use a pad for the meantime. Save up some money and wait for a good deal to show up on the for sale section here on the forum. Lots of good deals show up there.
    That’s a good idea, I have been looking at the used market

Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    If $150 is within reach, I don't think you'll find a better value option than the HG Econ Incubator. There is always the option of a HG Econ Phoenix, though, if you're ok with partial length. You can get a 20* model for $110 or a 40* model for $90. (I don't think you ever specified what temp UQ you're looking to buy)

https://www.hammockgear.com/economy-phoenix/
    That phoenix is a good deal, I’m just not sure if I could live with the shorter version. Maybe I could do a 40-50 degree model for warmer camping and then save the full length for colder climates

Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    I seriously doubt you'd be disappointed in any way with a 20* standard length HG Econ Incubator - for $150. And if you decided you did want something different, once you reach 50 posts here, you gain permission to join the sellers group and then you could probably resell the quilt for at least $125.
    $25 isn’t bad to try one out. I like the idea and think its the most versatile if I was to just do one UQ. If I find a good deal on a used Underquilt that would be my best. I have been looking on FB as well.

Images
    I agree a 20° full length is a great all arounder. My first serious UQ was just that - a Zeppelin from UGQ. It's still my most often used. I now also have a -20° Carolina Reaper from Loco Libre and if I were to get another it would be a 40° partial length... most likely a Phoenix.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast