Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    WookieUQ BurrowTQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images

Help me choose a quilt

Just finished up a camping trip using my hammock. It was a great time out in the woods. A friend let me use his Underquilt, it’s a snugpak under blanket. I have nothing to compare that to. I did like the adjustments in the top middle of the shock cord. Once the temps dropped into the 30 I was able to unzip the bug net and tighten the top cord which raised the quilt giving me a little more warmth. I’m a total noob to this hole experience but really like it and will be switching over from my tent.

While I liked the snugpak what I didn’t like was the pack size of it. That may just be how a Underquilt packs. I would like some input on what under quilts would be a nice fit from $100 stand point. Maybe the snugpak is the beat I can get for the money?

I have looked at the GO adventure Underquilt, OneTigris winter, the ENO Ember, and the DD under blanket.

One that I didn’t list that more than I really want to pay is the HG econ which ends up around 148$. Would really like to stick around the $100 mark though.

Love to hear your thoughts especially if you have experience with the hammocks I mentioned.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Jarbridge - arrowhead-equipment.com

There's really nothing else that is the same value. Occasionally it can be had for $85, but at retail $100, its a very good value.

Now, its a short quilt which means you'll want something for your feet. Personally, I've never thought my full length insulation ever did much for legs, so all of my quilts are short. You'll get different opinions, though. Next best option is that down Econ.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    If you feel you will keep hanging then just wait until you've saved the fund for the HG quilt. The others can work but the fit and function of the HG is superior.

$48 may take awhile to save for (unless you sell some other gear/tools/clothing/etc) but will be worth it. Or maybe you end up like me and "save money" initially, then sell for far less than I paid so I can buy what I should have bought to begin with There's a reason they say "buy once, cry once".

If the $100 price tag is a hard limit, then buy a couple COSTCO down throws and make one - cheaper and relatively easy to DIY. Still packs kinda small, depending on length. Buying one of the others you mention would be my last choice.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I think you listed most of the underquilts I would advise against buying. Some of them are Chinese made, and some are just plain heavy.

Snugpak - 52 ounces! Hope you don't plan on hiking.
    GO adventure - 47 ounces. Chinese-made, not many reviews so roll the dice
    OneTigris winter - 48 ounces. Chinese-made, not many reviews so roll the dice
    DD under blanket - 34 ounces. 23* F rating
    ENO Ember - 25 ounces. 40* to 50* F temperature rating, but ENO quilts get horrible reviews. They don't seem to be made for keeping you warm.

If you decide to upgrade any of those quilts, they simply don't have much resale value, so they won't help finance a better quilt.

As you mentioned, the HG Econ Incubator 20* is a much better value at $149.95. And at 25.45 ounces it weighs less than every quilt you mentioned (except the ENO Ember, but that's a warm weather quilt). And if you ever decide to sell the Incubator, you'll probably be able to get at least 80% of its value (unless you trash it). I'd save up my money and get the Incubator!

The Jarbidge is also a popular underquilt, well-reviewed, and the 3-season is good down to 25* F and is only $100 (though sometimes on sale for $85).
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images
    I pretty much agree with what SilvrSurfr advised.

You have some experience with the Snugpak. It's a decent quilt for warmth, just heavy and extremely bulky. It's also sort of an odd shape if you compare it to the other various quilts that are popular on the forum here. A secondary disavantage to the Snugpak is that while they are occasionally resold on the forum, I think you'd spend almost the entire resale value paying to ship it.

So my vote is to go with the HG Econ Incubator or the AHE Jarbidge. You're in good hands either way. The HG quilt probably has a few weeks longer lead time, FWIW.

Images
    Here is another new option that's in between the cost of the Jarbidge and Econ Incubator:

https://www.simplylightdesigns.com/c...winder-asym-uq

And a thread here that discusses it:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...SYM-UNDERQUILT

SLD generally has a super-fast turnaround time on delivery, even though every item is made to order.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Here is another new option that's in between the cost of the Jarbidge and Econ Incubator:

https://www.simplylightdesigns.com/c...winder-asym-uq

And a thread here that discusses it:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...SYM-UNDERQUILT

SLD generally has a super-fast turnaround time on delivery, even though every item is made to order.
    It's in between the cost of the Jarbidge and Econ Incubator only if you buy a 40* rated 3.6 oz. Climashield quilt. If you go for the Climashield 5.0 rated at 30* F, then it's $149.95. Personally, I'd rather have down than synthetic.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

And another vote for the Arrowhead Equipment Jarbidge underquilt. I've used mine on both my gathered end and bridge hammocks. My record with it is 18 degrees F this past March up near Coosa Bald in the North Georgia mountains. It's a quality piece of gear right around your price point. The only slight knock against it might be that since it's synthetic, it won't pack down quite as small as an equivalent down quilt. On the other hand, in the humid Georgia weather in which I usually hike and camp synthetic may have an edge.

It is 3/4 length, but it's a generous 3/4. I'm 5'9" and have neck to ankle coverage using it.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    It's in between the cost of the Jarbidge and Econ Incubator only if you buy a 40* rated 3.6 oz. Climashield quilt. If you go for the Climashield 5.0 rated at 30* F, then it's $149.95. Personally, I'd rather have down than synthetic.
    Good point - I didn't click through the options to see how those affect the price.

I'd rather have down than synthetic as well, but both have their merits.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I would suggest that you explore all your options. There is a reason good quilts are expensive, lightweight, and small packing. We have a lot of small cottage vendors here that can answer questions and help you make a decision.

What I did to chose was do a spreadsheet listing everything that was important to me so I was sure the quilts I was looking at would meet my wish list. I then went through the vendors and spoke to many of them to determine what they offered that would fit my needs at the best price point.

I would also say wait and save up the $ to buy what actually fits your needs. Otherwise you may end up like a lot of folks and spending more by purchasing 2 or more quilts that don't really work for you.

Just a thought and happy hunting.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast