Eddie Bauer Primaloft Throw to Underquilt

On my last trip to Costco I picked up a couple of EB Primaloft throws. I'm thinking of turning one of these into an underquilt but wondered on the warmth considering that they are quilted every 4" or so. I don't what weight of PL fill is used. It looks like there is about 3/4" of loft.

Has anyone used one of these Primaloft throws for a quilt?

Thanks

BV

Hammock
    Chameleon clone
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Suspension
    WB Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothwell Voyageur View Post
    On my last trip to Costco I picked up a couple of EB Primaloft throws. I'm thinking of turning one of these into an underquilt but wondered on the warmth considering that they are quilted every 4" or so. I don't what weight of PL fill is used. It looks like there is about 3/4" of loft.

Has anyone used one of these Primaloft throws for a quilt?

Thanks

BV
    You could probably do the same thing most folks do with similar down throws by removing all the stitches running in one direction to create faux 'baffles.' That serves the dual purpose of freeing much of the insulation trapped under the threads as well as allowing it to loft significantly more. That will certainly make a nice summer UQ. The sewn through construction gives it limited utility, but it will probably get you down to at least 50* or so.
    "Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." -Mark Twain

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    https://theultimatehang.com/2013/01/...ew-and-no-sew/

Looks like there is some confusion:
    I see mainly EB packable DOWN throws for sale, though I know EB does work with Primaloft.

If you have a Primaloft throw- doing any seam ripping won't help any. You've basically got a poncho liner and should use it as such.
    It's hard to say what exactly is in there but I doubt it's Primaloft Gold, likely Silver. Most likely a 3 ounce (100GSM) weight.
    The quilting has some effect but in my Primaloft gold quilts I only quilt to the inner shell of the quilt, since they are not sewn through the losses are not dramatic. Either way- as an UQ I would think you'd get roughly 55-60* rating on a single layer.

If you have a down one- then the drunken pirate is correct that you'd want to look at the various CDT (costco down throw) builds.

No definitely Primaloft. I was a little surprised as you often see a generic fiber fill used in a lot of this stuff. For less than $25 I thought it worth trying even if it only ends up as dog blanket.

Hammock
    Dutch Gear Hexon 1.7
    Tarp
    Chill Gorilla
    Insulation
    DIY EB Quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar
    I just picked up 4 of these EB primaloft blankets from Costco. At $16.99 each, I figured its worth to try for a low cost underquilt (I have 3 hammocks to outfit with UQs) Next steps are sew on grosgrain channels for the shock cord and remove the stitching for the baffles. I'm thinking of running the baffles in the short direction, i.e. across my body, not along my body. That seems to be the preference among the DIY designs I've seen. I'm not planning to trim the size any just to keep it simple. And besides most of my camping season in NC is ~45+ so I should survive most conditions with this setup.
    A day camping in the rain is better than a good day at work,
    --Shaw.

tsshaw78 is too hard to say on the trail - Just call me Shaw.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon, DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex, DIY
    Insulation
    HG, DIY
    Suspension
    Straps, Beetles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    https://theultimatehang.com/2013/01/...ew-and-no-sew/

Looks like there is some confusion:
    I see mainly EB packable DOWN throws for sale, though I know EB does work with Primaloft.

If you have a Primaloft throw- doing any seam ripping won't help any. You've basically got a poncho liner and should use it as such.
    It's hard to say what exactly is in there but I doubt it's Primaloft Gold, likely Silver. Most likely a 3 ounce (100GSM) weight.
    The quilting has some effect but in my Primaloft gold quilts I only quilt to the inner shell of the quilt, since they are not sewn through the losses are not dramatic. Either way- as an UQ I would think you'd get roughly 55-60* rating on a single layer.

If you have a down one- then the drunken pirate is correct that you'd want to look at the various CDT (costco down throw) builds.
    I just saw these at costco today. It says they are made using primaloft “black”...whatever that is

Tarp
    Outdoor Skye 10x10
    Insulation
    JC Penny Throws
    Suspension
    daisy chain straps
    Interesting. I could definitely see making another Gemini style UQ/TQ set out of these....If I didn't already have 4 Costco down throws and 4 JC Penny synthetic throws!! 4 layers on top and 4 layer below gets me down to 25F easy. mmmmm, perhaps its time to replace the down throws...….

• + New Posts