Hammock tie outs with Non Zip bug net

Todays random question. Other than cutting a small hole in a bug net, is there any way to use Asym tie outs with a bottom entry bug net? Thanks

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rhughesnc View Post
    Todays random question. Other than cutting a small hole in a bug net, is there any way to use Asym tie outs with a bottom entry bug net? Thanks
    With a little ingenuity, I think something could be done with small but powerful neodymium magnets. One inside the hammock, one outside the net. Just have to figure out how to attach the outside magnet to the tie-out cord. Maybe glue the magnet into some impromptu holder that the cord could be tied to. Assuming the tie out line is shock cord, I don't think it would create enough tension to pull the magnets off.

That's just the first idea that came to mind... I work with magnets in my career so I use them a lot to solve silly problems.

Here's a good source for magnets from tiny to absurdly huge (and dangerous). Each one lists a specification for how much pull force it has, so how much force would be required to separate a pair of them.

www.kjmagnetics.com

Something like this one seems like it could be a good choice for this purpose:
    https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=D63
    Last edited by cmc4free; 05-10-2019 at 12:08.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    You can sew them in a little bag (or put them in a tiny ziplock bag) and attach the bag to the line. Be careful about where you store them if you are using a compass.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Thank you, great idea

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    With a little ingenuity, I think something could be done with small but powerful neodymium magnets. One inside the hammock, one outside the net. Just have to figure out how to attach the outside magnet to the tie-out cord. Maybe glue the magnet into some impromptu holder that the cord could be tied to. Assuming the tie out line is shock cord, I don't think it would create enough tension to pull the magnets off.

That's just the first idea that came to mind... I work with magnets in my career so I use them a lot to solve silly problems.

Here's a good source for magnets from tiny to absurdly huge (and dangerous). Each one lists a specification for how much pull force it has, so how much force would be required to separate a pair of them.

www.kjmagnetics.com

Something like this one seems like it could be a good choice for this purpose:
    https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=D63
    I was thinking of using them for tarp door closers or attaching Grizz Beaks instead of pegs and tie out lines. Would they also work as tarp pull outs as well?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    I always like going South; somehow, it feels like going downhill.

...and as it harm none, do what ye will.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeBeard13 View Post
    I was thinking of using them for tarp door closers or attaching Grizz Beaks instead of pegs and tie out lines. Would they also work as tarp pull outs as well?
    For tarp door closers, if you meant like in place of Kam snaps, I think they'd work great for that, especially if you're talking about a DIY tarp and you have the ability to enclose the magnets in the edge hem somehow. Keep in mind opposite poles will attract, but like poles will repel each other. Unless really tightly enclosed, the magnets would likely flip themselves around so the attracting faces will join. Another thing to keep in mind is that magnets are fairly brittle, so when they attract and smack into one another, it's possible for them to chip or even break. Layers of fabric between would act as a sort of cushion though.

As for tarp guylines, I think that might be pushing their capabilities. As hammock side pullouts per the original question in this thread, the cordage involved is typically all shock cord and not a whole lot of tensile force is involved. For tarp guylines, the force would be considerably higher, especially when heavy winds come by. Maybe I misunderstood what you were asking?