ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

MI>Pigeon River State Forest>Trip Suggestions

My buddy and I are planning a four day, three night backpacking trip in the Pigeon River State Forest in July. We have backpacked for over 20 years and have hit everything major in Michigan except this. I am looking for some suggestions such as where to start, potential camp sites or good off-trail sites, water availability, etc. Basically anyone who has experience in this State Park.

I have seen talk about the High Country Pathway (obviously it is too long for us to do in a few days) as well as the Green Timbers Pathway (which doesn't seem long enough for a four day / three night trip.

I am hoping someone has some trail experience in this park and is willing to share their knowledge.

I'm not even opposed to starting off on the High Country Pathway and doing an out-and-back hike.

By the way, I have a hammock and he has a one-man tent.

Just looking for some ideas.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    YouTube Channel
    Great Lakes Backpacker
    https://www.youtube.com/GreatLakesBackpacker534

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky32 View Post

I'm not even opposed to starting off on the High Country Pathway and doing an out-and-back hike.
    That wouldn't be a bad idea. I pretty much did this two weeks ago since I got a bad blister after 10 miles into it. No way I could have finished the 80mi. Wasn't feeling it mentally anyway. Ended up tuning back and using some of the Shingle Mill pathway back south to the TH. Nice easy tail (what I've seen of it). Ended up going back to Vanderbilt for a pizza, then back to Green Timbers on the Sturgeon River to hang and do nothing for a few days.

Water options everywhere on the High Country Pathway. River, creeks, lakes, and when walking thru the camp grounds.

I couldn't imagine the bugs in July though. I was right on the edge back on May 12.

Staging a car half way or hitchhiking would be even better.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Thanks for the info!
    Maybe someone else out there has something else to add.....?

YouTube Channel
    Great Lakes Backpacker

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I couldn't imagine the bugs in July though. I was right on the edge back on May 12.
    I'm really not a fan of bugs, but what choice do I have in Michigan In July when i have a very limited window of opportunity this year? Hopefully it will be to warm for them to want to move around or maybe they will he baked into oblivion by the heat....

YouTube Channel
    Great Lakes Backpacker

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky32 View Post
    I'm really not a fan of bugs, but what choice do I have in Michigan In July when i have a very limited window of opportunity this year? Hopefully it will be to warm for them to want to move around or maybe they will he baked into oblivion by the heat....

Last July at Green Timbers, I was wearing a (very very) light down jacket. Seriously, you never know!

You know what they say: "If you don't like the weather in Michigan, f*** it"

I'd say that all the recommendations on this thread are all good. I've spent a lot of time at GT, and even though it's a short hike in, I've always stayed pretty close to the old cabin site by the river. I did read a report online about someone who followed the old trails and connected from the Shingle Mill Pathway over to Pickeral Lake then onto Green Timbers. The Pigeon River SF is a big area and if you do some digging, there's lot of old two tracks to explore. Enjoy your trip. I'll be up at GT in July too!

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    I'd say that all the recommendations on this thread are all good. I've spent a lot of time at GT, and even though it's a short hike in, I've always stayed pretty close to the old cabin site by the river. I did read a report online about someone who followed the old trails and connected from the Shingle Mill Pathway over to Pickeral Lake then onto Green Timbers. The Pigeon River SF is a big area and if you do some digging, there's lot of old two tracks to explore. Enjoy your trip. I'll be up at GT in July too!
    Thanks a lot. Linking those couple of trails sounds like an interesting idea. We will be there July 8 - 11th or 12th. Maybe we will run into you.

YouTube Channel
    Great Lakes Backpacker

• + New Posts