Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Insulation
    Wooki Underquilt.
    Suspension
    Tree Straps
    Thanks for the help guys. For the most part, the feedback confirmed my original thoughts. I am glad I didn't order the RR without the suspension. Thats the one mistake I would have probably made. So it's the olive green 30D double layer, bug net and tree straps/buckles. The tarp I use is the large one from WB and I almost always use my trekking poles and set it up in "Porch Mode" so I should be good there. Can't wait to get it. Now if we can get it to stop raining...

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    12' HG DCF tarp w/
    Insulation
    Ridge Creek xl
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Coming back to this thread just in case anyone else needs hammock hanging hope. I've now spent 18 nights in my RR including 2 week longs stints, one on the AT one at a Scout summer camp. This hammock has been a game changer for me. Everything I didn't like about a GE hammock has been resolved with RR and for once I am enjoying a good hang. Because I see benefits to tents, I can't say that I'll always hang but, I won't be using a GE hammock again.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueGill13 View Post
    I'm glad to hear the klymit inflatable pads work well. I ordered the Klymit Static V2 about 2 weeks ago to use on hot nights instead of the underquilt in my BB. it is 23 inches wide and lightweight and packs down small. However, I wasn't that impressed with using it in my double layer BB. I was thinking about sending it back but I guess I will keep it and try it in the RR. If nothing else, it will be a good pad when and if I ever use my MSR Hubba tent
    Let us know how that pad works in your RR, comfort wise, vs an UQ. It might be questionable for adequate width in a hammock, although that should not much matter if it is for warm weather use as you said.

The fact that a pad can be plenty comfy in a bridge, and for some as comfy as an UQ and apparently for a few even more so, is a major game changer that mostly goes unappreciated. I have been mentioning this possibility since 2007, even though I have not yet fully made the change myself.

Why is that such a game changer, and a benefit which also applies to the 90 degree hammocks? Well, if equal- or close to equal- comfort could be obtained, just think of all of the potential advantages of using pads vs UQs. A big financial benefit for those switching to hanging who already have wide pads for ground use. No more worries for those who sometimes like to sleep above timberline, or who are sometimes forced to use shelters. Greatly reduced concerns about wind chill and splash up or sideways wind driven rain, and having a large enough tarp to 100% block all of that. I assume the concern about such is much less, as when I have hung on windy days with out a tarp or with a wide pitch, when those gusts hit I feel like 20 or 30 degrees of warmth disappear from my UQs. I can barely- if at all- feel the difference when I am using a pad. Of course, an UQP or a huge tarp or a sheltered enough spot takes care of those things, but you have much less need to be concerned with any of that with a pad. And 2 of those things equal more money spent, weight and bulk.

Of course, whether some of us can achieve equal or superior comfort using a pad with certain hammocks might be debatable, and might vary with the individual. But if it can be done, what potential advantages! And it is my impression that those advantages(of a pad) are rarely considered when those of us who prefer bridges are singing their praises.

Images
    Oh, and I forgot this advantage: consistency of warmth. We all know that there must be dozens of threads on here that are titled something like this: "I bought my 20F UQ, and my back or butt is cold at 40F". Then many folks chime in with all the possible things that the new user might be doing wrong to cause this problem. Usually the new user finally figures it out, but not always. But the point is: there is not much room for error in hanging an UQ correctly, if a person is going to get all the warmth expected from that UQ. A pretty much perfect gap and draft free hang are required, or you are not going to be as warm as expected. And this perfect hang must make it through the night and all of the position changes. I have not really had these problems, but many people have had. ( BTW, a common suggestion is to use quilts rated 10 or 20F lower than the lowest possible temp expected)

I have rarely seen such problems reported by dedicated pad users. The most likely problem to be reported other than comfort is condensation or sweat, followed by inability to stay on the pad. But, I have not been seeing many complaints of condensation by the 90 degree and bridge/pad users, and of course they have zero problems staying on the pad. I have not had these issues myself, even in a GE hammock(using an SPE). But those are the likely complaints. If the pad is adequate R value, you are unlikely to see complaints of being cold due to a failure to adjust correctly. You lay on the pad, and assuming you can stay on that pad, end of story as far as being warm. There will not be any gaps, or drafts or even wind chill from underneath the pad. And no concerns of loss of loft on a long trip. (this assumes the pad is thick enough to fill pad pocket, usually not an issue)
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 07-06-2019 at 09:19.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gillam View Post
    Coming back to this thread just in case anyone else needs hammock hanging hope. I've now spent 18 nights in my RR including 2 week longs stints, one on the AT one at a Scout summer camp. This hammock has been a game changer for me. Everything I didn't like about a GE hammock has been resolved with RR and for once I am enjoying a good hang. Because I see benefits to tents, I can't say that I'll always hang but, I won't be using a GE hammock again.
    Thanks for updating us. I'm in the same camp and the Ridgerunner was a game changer.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345