Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DHClark76 View Post
    Also... RBTR rates the capacity of a single-layer of Airwave 1.8 at 400lbs., whereas a single layer Mono is 200#. Now... if Heavyhiker is able to hang in only a single layer of 1.0 Mono... then the "Heavy" in his/her name clearly refers to the volume of hiking done and not Heavyhiker's physical weight. I am a heavy guy (270#) and there is no way on this beautiful blue marble I would trust hanging in a single layer of Mono (at least not more than a foot off of level and rock free ground). That said, a double-layer 1.0 Mono brings you in the same weight capacity range. If weight capacity to hammock weight ratio is any significant goal of yours, I would suggest also considering the MTN 1.7 hybrid (which also comes in XL width for those that like a wider hammock in a single piece of fabric). My original intention was to make my next hammock out of the MTN Hybrid, but since the RBTR pre-cut bridge hammock kit only came in Airwave, which I'd been wanting to try anyway..
    Before you dismiss the Monolite because of publicized load rating...

Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki 0deg
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by DHClark76 View Post
    Coffeeneone, you've received some good feedback on this topic. Just last night I sewed up a Bridge Hammock (RBTR pre-cut DIY) out of the 1.8 Airwave. I can't yet attest to how it sleeps overnight as I'm gonna be testing that out over the next couple of weekends, but I can definitely speak to the qualities of the fabric in terms of the drape, feel, and ease of sewing.

First, out-the-gate CMC4free's assessment is spot-on. You're really talking about hammock fabrics on the opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of nearly all of their qualities. After sewing up several UQs in 1.1 ripstop, 1.0 HyperD and 1.0 Mono, there's just a night and day difference as to the feel of the fabric and the ease of sewing it. Those lightweight fabrics are all slippery as heck under a sewing machine and take some practice, but especially the 1.0 Monolite. The 1.8 Airwave feels closer to a lightweight ripstop cotton by comparison. MUCH easier to sew, IMO and if I were recommending a lightweight fabric for a first-time stitcher to get some experience on before trying to tackle Mono (or worse, Silnylon), I think Airwave would be a good fabric to get some experience on. Also, some people have described the Airwave as "soft" but that can be a bit deceiving. It very much has the drape and flow of a soft fabric, but I would describe it's actual texture as being...not rough or abrasive, per se (although relative to monolite isn't anything somewhat abrasive?)...but, it is courser somewhat like a raw silk (AKA silk noil) or linen fabric.

Also... RBTR rates the capacity of a single-layer of Airwave 1.8 at 400lbs., whereas a single layer Mono is 200#. Now... if Heavyhiker is able to hang in only a single layer of 1.0 Mono... then the "Heavy" in his/her name clearly refers to the volume of hiking done and not Heavyhiker's physical weight. I am a heavy guy (270#) and there is no way on this beautiful blue marble I would trust hanging in a single layer of Mono (at least not more than a foot off of level and rock free ground). That said, a double-layer 1.0 Mono brings you in the same weight capacity range. If weight capacity to hammock weight ratio is any significant goal of yours, I would suggest also considering the MTN 1.7 hybrid (which also comes in XL width for those that like a wider hammock in a single piece of fabric). My original intention was to make my next hammock out of the MTN Hybrid, but since the RBTR pre-cut bridge hammock kit only came in Airwave, which I'd been wanting to try anyway.

Once, I sewed in up and initially tested out the feel of my new Airwave bridge hammock, my initial feeling is that while I think I'll like the Airwave it in a bridge hammock, I don't think I'd like it as much in a GE Hammock. The reason is that in a I just don't see myself having to fight the extra friction of the Airwave when moving around in a bridge hammock the way you would in a GE that grips you all around. Consequently, I'll probably still sew up a new GE hammock out of the MTN 1.7. In the meantime, the only thing I can trust a single layer of 1.0 for is quilts and rainflies. All that said, if you're considering a single layer 1.0 Mono hammock, then clearly weight capacity isn't an issue. However, I figured I throw some extra info. out there for anyone that might be concerned about weight capacity.
    My name came from the weight of my backpack actually. The first time I went to Philmont with the Boy Scouts, my pack weight (with food, etc.) was 58 lbs. I have learned a whole lot since then and my pack for this weekend is at 27 lbs. I am 200 lbs and I know I am right at the weight limit for Monolite (my hammock is a single layer) but I have had no issues at all so far and it's really got a great feel to it. And yes, it was also one of my favorite fabrics to sew.

Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Before you dismiss the Monolite because of publicized load rating...
    I admit... that's impressive.

It appears that most of the suggested capacity ratings I've seem in hammock gear to account for a safety factor of 4 or 5. In which case, It's not entirely surprising to me that the 1.0 can actually support that much weight. That said, I just can't go there. The psychology of it is still too much for me to overcome. I'm just not convinced I'm disciplined enough to make that 1.0 mono fabric last that long, for me. Too often I forget to take things outta my pockets, or leave my shoes on when I'm lounging. To say nothing of the abuse my kids dish out when they are with me.

Still... that does make me reconsider what might be possible with that fabric... and not just for hammocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavyhiker View Post
    My name came from the weight of my backpack actually. The first time I went to Philmont with the Boy Scouts, my pack weight (with food, etc.) was 58 lbs. I have learned a whole lot since then and my pack for this weekend is at 27 lbs.
    If Heavyhiker were my name, it could be so for any number of reasons, particularly including my own weight and the weight of my pack. Sadly, I still haven't learned the discipline required to get my pack weight that light. I just like my creature comforts too much. In fact, even as heavy as I am, I was still silly enough to hike a 60lbs pack up to Mt. Whitney Trail Camp one year. And sadly, having woken the next morning completely exhausted and ridiculously dehydrated I ended up making it ONLY to trail camp. The next morning my two compatriots summited, and I hiked down in order to fend off an apparent onset of altitude sickness...provoked in no small part (I would guess) by said dehydration and having been dumb enough to lug a 60 lbs pack up Mt. Whitney.

Given MikekiM's post, I would say that you are well within the practical operating parameters of that Mono 1.0. For now, I'm sticking with the 1.7 MTN XL. Mostly because I've given up hope of ever being anywhere near 200 lbs. again.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I still love my 1.6 Hyper D hammock and am about to sew a second one. I don't know that I would choose Monolite if it were my only hammock, but it sure is a comfortable nights sleep. Which truly amazes me.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki 0deg
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have been using my Monolite hammock a lot now that it's summer and I have to say it's becoming my favorite hammock. I do love my WBBB but just something about the Monolite stretch is really comfortable

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12