Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket
    You said you would eventually get a 40 degree quilt. When you do decide to do that, I would strongly suggest trying a 3/4 length as, IMO, they are less $, lighter, less bulky, and easier to get a snug fit. Many (me included) prefer to use the 3/4 length year round for all the above reasons, others prefer the full length for 20 degrees and below but use 3/4 length for warmer temps. Others still want full length all the time. You'll never know what category you fit into unless you try. I'd suggest buying used -here preferably or through one of the Facebook groups. If you decide you don't like the 3/4 you can get most of your money back easily by passing it along to someone else.

Hammock
    DIY Hammocks
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    But keep your 20 degree. It is perfect for Alabama winters and early spring/fall!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    I made me a 3/4 length 2.5 oz climashield UQ and it’s perfect for Alabama from May through about Sept/Oct. used it this week. Only weighs about 13 oz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    OutandBack - just wanted to give you props for this photo. The composition is great and it's just an interesting, compelling shot. It really puts the viewer into a time and place.

Which one is you? I'm guessing the Joe Walsh lookalike kneeling by the fire.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    heck my first time ever sleeping in a hammock was in July at Monte Sano state park and I slept with not under quilt (didn't know what they was at the time) and no top quilt or any cover, just a pair of shorts. of course the low was probably in the 80s then.

good thing it was summer the first time I tried a hammock because not sure if I would have continued if I tried in when it was in cooler/cold weather
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

I made a poncho liner UQ that is perfect for Alabama summers. Even if it is warm enough that you don’t need it it keeps mosquitos from biting through the bottom of your hammock.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger12 Hex
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyroler Holzhacker View Post
    For warmer temps, you would be well served with a 40 degree UQ. I have a Zero, 20 and 40 degree UQ for each climate, although over the years I have become a goldilocks camper and prefer to camp during the crisp comfortable 40-70 degree temp range of spring or fall weather exclusively.
    That is certainly the master plan, but right now I don't see myself camping in anything under 20 degrees in the immediate future.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohoopee View Post
    Ga summers too hot! I use a 50 or just sleep on an apex blanket. Really can't imagine venting
    a 20 enough to sleep. Still 90 at 11pm July and August.
    This is my concern. Thinking I am going to get a 40 degree phoenix as well. Should be good to go in the Al summer with a 40 degree UQ & TQ.

Quote Originally Posted by ylnfrt View Post
    Another option is to push the UQ off to the side of your hammock until the morning chill sets in- then just pull the UQ back under you.
    That was the direction I was initially going, but the 40 degree Phoenix will be used either way. They aren't crazy expensive, and the weight savings will be nice for hiking.

Appreciate the input though!

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    You could vent the UQ......
    Shug

Thanks Shug! I have watched this a few times when making my decision. going to bite the bullet on another UQ. If it gets used (which it will) it will be worth the money.

Also, thanks for all the video's! They have seriously helped me figure a bunch of this stuff out.

Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Hi Freddy I grew up in Huntsville just north of you. Spent my first 27 years there. Been hammock camping since the 70's
    IMO a 20 degree UQ is a bit hot for Bama summers. I would look into a 3/4 40F UQ they are pretty cheap. Venting can be very tricky.

Thanks OutandBack! That picture is awesome with that hammock! That's what I remember taking naps in while I was growing up going camping with my Grandfather!

He always told me I was good for nothing. He never had to pay me. haha

Quote Originally Posted by cneill13 View Post
    I have vented a 20 degree under quilt for a few summers but recently bought a cheap one on eBay for summer usage. There are some Chinese knockoffs for $30-40.
    Definitely going this approach (kinda). Thanks cneill!

I bought quite a few budget items starting out about a year ago and am not happy with what I got (likely lack of research on my end) but I am going to get a phoenix 40 degree as well as the incubator 20.

Quote Originally Posted by Clisbyclark View Post
    You said you would eventually get a 40 degree quilt. When you do decide to do that, I would strongly suggest trying a 3/4 length as, IMO, they are less $, lighter, less bulky, and easier to get a snug fit. Many (me included) prefer to use the 3/4 length year round for all the above reasons, others prefer the full length for 20 degrees and below but use 3/4 length for warmer temps. Others still want full length all the time. You'll never know what category you fit into unless you try. I'd suggest buying used -here preferably or through one of the Facebook groups. If you decide you don't like the 3/4 you can get most of your money back easily by passing it along to someone else.
    Thanks Clark! Going this route for sure! just pulling the trigger on it all and I'll reap the consequences with my girlfriend later... haha

Very much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by MissileMan View Post
    But keep your 20 degree. It is perfect for Alabama winters and early spring/fall!
    Yes, I have a snugpak that I used over this winter and it was perfect! little cold some nights, but nothing a few more layers didn't help.

Thanks MissileMan!

Quote Originally Posted by aboyd View Post
    I made me a 3/4 length 2.5 oz climashield UQ and it’s perfect for Alabama from May through about Sept/Oct. used it this week. Only weighs about 13 oz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I thought about the DIY approach, but after looking into sewing and all the other things to go along with it, I figured one learning curve at a time. haha, very much appreciated though!

Quote Originally Posted by soul embrace View Post
    heck my first time ever sleeping in a hammock was in July at Monte Sano state park and I slept with not under quilt (didn't know what they was at the time) and no top quilt or any cover, just a pair of shorts. of course the low was probably in the 80s then.

good thing it was summer the first time I tried a hammock because not sure if I would have continued if I tried in when it was in cooler/cold weather
    First time I tried it hammock camping and only bringing a hammock and no tent I just remember waking up and my underside cold as ice! and that was June or July in Ohio. Started looking into it more about a year ago after that experience and now I have a problem... haha

Quote Originally Posted by ALwoodsman View Post
    I made a poncho liner UQ that is perfect for Alabama summers. Even if it is warm enough that you don’t need it it keeps mosquitos from biting through the bottom of your hammock.
    I really like the DIY approach. I like fixing my own bikes, cars (if I have time) and even made a good bit of my furniture in my house. I guess as I get older time just becomes less abundant.

Either way, I am sure Ill give this a try at some point, cause I did run into a post on this (not sure if it was from you or not) but like the idea!

Thanks again everyone!!!

Cheers!

Hammock
    Dutch Ware
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB top & bottom q
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I learned pretty quick if you wear trousers or shorts with buttons on the pockets in a net hammock, you won't have buttons on your pockets.
    Happy trails to you until we meet again.

Hammock
    11 foot gathered hexon1.7
    Tarp
    11 ft winter dutch
    Insulation
    TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Spider Straps 1.5
    I would go with a 20 degree 3/4 length uq. This makes it easier to vent in hot months. Then add an underquilt protector or winter sock for the colder temperatures. I would rather have one quilt than three

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by MissileMan View Post
    I agree. I have Wilderness Logics Summer Series 50 degree top and bottom quilts in addition to my HG 20 degree quilt sets. Makes life easier and me happier.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12