Dutch Half Zip
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 40degree quilts
    Suspension
    whoppie slings

How high up?

I am still dialing in what is a mostly new set up for me as last year I spent most of my nights out in shelters and not the new system. I was playing around today with the set up and wanted to get some feedback. I have a HG cuben tarp with doors and a Dutch half zip. Hung with whoopies and tree straps.

Based on the coverage of the tarp and not wanting splash back on my underquilt I feel like my hammock ridge line should be just below the tarp to get full coverage and get the down underquilt high enough off the ground. To do this I found that my straps are way up off the ground and well above my tarp lines. I’m 6’4 so this isn’t a problem but wanted to see if your suspensions on a structural ridge line hammock are as high as mine. And if you try and keep your ridgeline as close to your tarp as I do.

Thanks as always guys.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."
    John Muir

“I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.”
    John Muir

Hammock
    Dutch Half Zip
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 40degree quilts
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    272351C0-BA6B-4FB6-AA65-F87C61400111.jpg

Pic of my tarp line and hammock suspension
    John Muir

“I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.”
    John Muir

Hammock
    Dutch Half Zip
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 40degree quilts
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    John Muir

John Muir

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    That's really high - I don't think I've ever hung my tree straps that high, even when hanging between trees 25 ft. apart! I think you might be imagining more splashback on your quilt than you will actually encounter.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    If I did share your concern about splashback (and I don't), I'd be more inclined to pitch the tarp lower, than higher. Many people apparently share your concern about splashback, apparently, since UQPs (underquilt protectors) seem to be getting more popular. If I ever did develop a splashback concern, I'd get a bigger tarp rather than a UQP. I used to have an HG cuben fiber standard with doors, but didn't like the skimpy coverage against blowing precipitation (not splashback), so I upgraded to the HG Winter Palace.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I use an UQP too. And I like to set my tarp up high so I don't have to bend over much - especially if I'm with tent people who have to crawl into their shelter. But Yosf is about a foot taller than I am and he can reach those high anchor points on trees.

First, it is natural for the hammock suspension to be higher than the tarp suspension and often the hammock suspension runs between two tarp lines that run around a tree. But you do run into geometry limits. The further apart the trees, the higher the hammock suspension on the tree. And the lower the tarp, the more apt it is to "coincide" with the hammock suspension.

If it were me, I'd get the hammock perfect first. Then rig the tarp so it covers the ends (center on the hammock), finally - or about the same time - I'd set the height. Maybe, instead lowering the ridge line, you can bring the sides in closer.

Now that I picture it in my head - maybe just guying it out wider is better. In order for "splatter" to reach your UQ, it has to bounce from the edge of your tarp to your UQ. So the wider apart your tarp sides, the further that splatter has to bounce to reach the UQ. That's assuming it's coming more or less straight down.

It sounds like this is a problem you are worried about rather than a problem you've actually had. If you have a tarp with doors, I'm pretty sure it is more on the large size. I haven't had that much really stormy conditions but I use tarps on the large size and have never had a problem with the rain I've been in. And I usually have one side or a corner up on poles for easy entrance.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 05-18-2019 at 23:53.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Yosef View Post
    I am still dialing in what is a mostly new set up for me as last year I spent most of my nights out in shelters and not the new system. I was playing around today with the set up and wanted to get some feedback. I have a HG cuben tarp with doors and a Dutch half zip. Hung with whoopies and tree straps.

Based on the coverage of the tarp and not wanting splash back on my underquilt I feel like my hammock ridge line should be just below the tarp to get full coverage and get the down underquilt high enough off the ground. To do this I found that my straps are way up off the ground and well above my tarp lines. I’m 6’4 so this isn’t a problem but wanted to see if your suspensions on a structural ridge line hammock are as high as mine. And if you try and keep your ridgeline as close to your tarp as I do.

Thanks as always guys.
    Sounds similar to how I setup but I’d usually pick trees a bit closer together. I think that is making the hammock straps look quite high.
    Just popped my head out of the hammock and took a pic of my current setup.

As to splashback, I try to avoid hanging over hard pack ground.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I use the same tarp as the OP (along with a HG Palace). I do pitch it wide most of the time, but when heavy winds accompany the rain, low and tight seems better.. and to do that the tarp is nearly touching the hammock ridge line.

I use split RLs with Dutch Fleaz at the tarp end and an EVO loop at the tree end, so no V in my setup. That means I am vulnerable to crossing the suspension line as pictured above. I position the tarp ridge lines above the hammock suspension on the trees and leave some slack in them, with the center of the tarp hanging pretty low. Then I stake out the tarp loosely. As I alternate tensioning the ground corners and tarp RLs, I can usually get the tarp RL's and the hammock suspension to run parallel and not cross.

Additionally, I will pitch the tarp on an angle, with head end lower and often wider that how the foot end is set. With the rather anemic coverage of the Standard, I want all the coverage I can get. There's no reason the tarp has to be perfectly horizontal and with the head end lower, keeping the suspension lines parallel means the tarp is at an angle..
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts