Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    pitching a tarp right-side up vs. upside down shouldn't change the stresses it's under.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    I hang mine with grommets and rolled seam facing up. Yes the tarp appears upside down but it keeps me dry either way. I just prefer to not have the peak of the tarp twisted on the end.

My Speer 8X10 rectangle kit version has the attachement of the grommet in line with the ridge and not to the side as is on the cat version. It can be set up either way and the pull out is flat.
    Hobbit,
    Thanks, do you attach your line to the grommet or the grosgrain? I still have to seam seal the rolled seam for a permanent waterproofing, thats what I was thinking about doing (hang it inside out) but I wanted to hear from others (like you) who have this tarp and what they have done. When you hung yours with the grommets and seam down did you find that it put some undue stress on the stitching from the way it pulled?

CB

Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    pitching a tarp right-side up vs. upside down shouldn't change the stresses it's under.
    Warbonnetguy,
    Even when looking at the pics you feel that it wouldn't? You know more than I about this, I just thought by the way it looked that one it just didn't look right, and two that the way that it was starting to buckle and turn up that it was not putting an even amount (relatively speaking) pressure on the tie out. I also wasn't sure as to weather turning it inside out so to speak would cause any other issues.

CB

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I would have the grosgain and grommet the way you have it in the first picture ..... no water having a chance to run in and it just looks right.
    In the second picture I could see water getting in. Beware!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I would have the grosgain and grommet the way you have it in the first picture ..... no water having a chance to run in and it just looks right.
    In the second picture I could see water getting in. Beware!
    Shug
    Shug,
    Yea I think thats what I am going to end up doing, quick question- what are the dimensions of your DIY small tarp? I have been doing some looking to compare the Speer 8x10 cat tarp that I got and by comparison the OES Standard tarp is about the same size as many others and I'm trying to decide on weather to go with another 8x10 or something else for my girlfriend for Spring/Summer/Fall weather. Also have you found that your small tarp provides enough bottom coverage to keep your UQ dry or do you add a undercover?

Thanks,

CB

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    Shug,
    Yea I think thats what I am going to end up doing, quick question- what are the dimensions of your DIY small tarp? I have been doing some looking to compare the Speer 8x10 cat tarp that I got and by comparison the OES Standard tarp is about the same size as many others and I'm trying to decide on weather to go with another 8x10 or something else for my girlfriend for Spring/Summer/Fall weather. Also have you found that your small tarp provides enough bottom coverage to keep your UQ dry or do you add a undercover?

Thanks,

CB
    My small blackie is 11' ridgeline ... 6' across (3' on each side).
    Had it out last night and day before in the woods .... rainy, misty windy. Used my weathershield but mainly for wind deflection. The wind really steals heat. I would use it in foggy weather as well. Never really had rain splash ... urban myth thinks I.....
    The bottom coverage depends on the steepness of the pitch at a particular site and so on and so forth....
    You will never get just one answer out of me .... to many variables with tarp pitch in the piney woods.
    Shug

My small blackie is 11' ridgeline ... 6' across (3' on each side).
    Had it out last night and day before in the woods .... rainy, misty windy. Used my weathershield but mainly for wind deflection. The wind really steals heat. I would use it in foggy weather as well. Never really had rain splash ... urban myth thinks I.....
    The bottom coverage depends on the steepness of the pitch at a particular site and so on and so forth....
    You will never get just one answer out of me .... to many variables with tarp pitch in the piney woods.
    Shug

Shug,
    Thankee!!!!! What are you using for a weather shield? I think I need to get me one of them!?!?!?

CB

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    Shug,
    Thankee!!!!! What are you using for a weather shield? I think I need to get me one of them!?!?!?

CB
    DIY one .... ripstop 1.1.
    It is in my next video..........
    Simple project.

DIY one .... ripstop 1.1.
    It is in my next video..........
    Simple project.
    Shug,
    Excellent, thanks, is it with DWR or no, I don't have a sewing machine, so it would end up having to be done by hand! Thank you for the help! Can't wait to see the next vid installment, I've watched all so far and they really are great!!!!

CB

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    DWR ... yes indeed.