Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2eez4life View Post
    Can't go wrong with exploring the high Uintas in Utah. Easily accessible, close to major urban centers. Here are a couple of really good backpacking trips to research if interested. Amethyst lake, Red Castle, Naturalist Basin.
    Well, the choices are almost endless, aren't they? Several I was going to mention have already been mentioned. Wind Rivers(WY) are a fav of mine, and have already been mentioned.

Then I was going to mention The Uintas(UT), but already mentioned.

Has any one mentioned the Sawtooths out of Stanley, ID? They have one advantage over most of the rest: less altitude, which equals less altitude sickness. It does not feel like lower elevation, as the vertical rise of the mountains are about as impressive as any where else. But the steep vertical rise starts from a lower elevation than most, and a couple of thousand feet lower = noticably more oxygen to breath, especially if time for adjusting is limited.
    https://duckduckgo.com/?q=redfish+la...e_Idaho_lg.jpg

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 65 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    chinook 9x12
    Insulation
    DIY down + synth
    Suspension
    cinchbuckle
    My 3 kids (18-25 so not young kids) are going to red mountain basin in John Muir wilderness, Maxsom trailhead at courtright reservoir, next month. I did it 10 years ago. 8200’ to 10,000-11,000 or so depending on routes. Lots of small lakes, 28-35 miles give or take. One steep section climbs from 8200-9600 in 3 miles, but not too bad mostly. We will do a 12 mile hike in, set up base camp, and do day hikes from there because one of my kids is not in the best hiking shape so as little with pack as possible. Lots of trees, exposed granite, and meadows.

More elevation and steeper hiking we did pecos wilderness out of jacks creek (truchas lake) a couple years ago. Back side of Santa Fe...

Good luck.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow / Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Has any one mentioned the Sawtooths out of Stanley, ID? They have one advantage over most of the rest: less altitude, which equals less altitude sickness. It does not feel like lower elevation, as the vertical rise of the mountains are about as impressive as any where else. But the steep vertical rise starts from a lower elevation than most, and a couple of thousand feet lower = noticably more oxygen to breath, especially if time for adjusting is limited.
    https://duckduckgo.com/?q=redfish+la...e_Idaho_lg.jpg
    I absolutely loved my trip to the Sawtooths. Would go back again in a heartbeat.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Insulation
    EE 20/30 Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Maroon Bells / Four Pass loop near Aspen, Colorado. I haven't been yet myself but it's on my shortlist due to the scenery.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    July doesn't guarantee high temps at elevation.

Consider some of the loops in the High Sierras along the John Muir Tral between Yosemite and Mt. Whitney? Awesome trail, views, etc. Several really good "camps" you can rely on. Muit Trail Ranch. Reds Meadow. VVR. Mt. Williamson Motel.

Keep miles short and watch out for "altitude sickness."
    Plus one on the John Muir Trail. Northern California is actually surprisingly and refreshingly cool in the summer months (Especially in Marin County near SFO). I was at John Muir Woods National Monument in Marin County last August, and the beauty of the Redwood Forests combined with perfect weather (sunny, low humidity, and 75 F) blew me away...can't recommend JMW National Monument enough. You can do a day trip if you stay in San Francisco. You now need to get a reservation though, as it has gotten extremely popular over the years.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12