Tarp
    HG The Journey 11'
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

DIY 1.0oz Monolite and 1.6oz HyperD Diamond hammocks

I did it! Two more DIY hammocks

After my first DIY hammock AVatorL Pinky (and my first machine sewing ever) for my daughter I made 2 more hammocks and I've given names to them

AVatorL Breeze

Hammock type: netless, whipped gathered end (there is sewn channel as well, but I'll use whipping to hang this hammock)
    Fabric: 1.0 oz MONOLITE Ripstop Nylon Mesh
    Size: 11'x61"
    Weight: 7oz (without suspension)
    Color: Hunter Green
    Thread: Guttermann MARA 70
    Needle: 90/14

20190526-DSC_0831.jpg 20190526-DSC_0836.jpg 20190526-DSC_0837.jpg 61426083_631238944059020_4907614453442281472_n.jpg

I'll need to redo the stuff sack. This one, with a small pocket for Dutch Biner, was total improvisation and I did a mistake. The pocket doesn't look perfect But I like the idea of the pocket and will use it in all my hammock stuff sacks.

AVatorL Greenwich

Hammock type: netless, gathered end with sewn channel
    Fabric: 1.6 oz HyperD diamond ripstop nylon
    Size: 11'x59"
    Weight: 10.5oz (without suspension)
    Color: Kelly Green
    Thread: Guttermann MARA 70
    Needle: 90/14

20190524-DSC_0822.jpg 20190525-DSC_0824.JPG
    Last edited by AVatorL; 05-26-2019 at 17:02.

Hammock
    Dutchware DL Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    LL SS Serrano 20
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch

DIY 1.0oz Monolite and 1.6oz HyperD Diamond hammocks

Hey there, those are some great looking hammocks.

How do you like the monolite vs the 1.6 Hyper D? I'm literally trying to decide between these two fabrics for my first myog project right now.

Hammock
    Netless. DIY or Dutchware
    Tarp
    HG The Journey 11'
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I didn't sleep in these new hammocks yet. But i'm really impressed with hanging in the monolite hammock during warm sunny day (about 75F with high humidity). This is when I decided to call the hammock Breeze. It was really cool to feel light cooling wind through the fabric. And I like it's transparency. For sure it's going to be my never go out of home without it hammock to hang during a warm day. Regarding sleeping I think it's a perfect hammock to sleep during (very rare where I live) hot nights but I need to test it with an underquilt to understand if it will be better than HyperD to sleep during colder nights. I'm still waiting for my quilts to be delivered and I see no sense in testing this hammock with a sleeping pad I used before.

The monolite is lighter weight but it will be hard to put the monolite into smaller stuff sack than the HyperD.

With about 210 lbs I didn't feel any monolite stretching and it seems to be very strong while it's new. But I'm afraid (have no real proof so far) it will be more sensitive to any damages (a hole of the same size will be more dangerous for monolite than HyperD).

It was easier to sew the monolite hammock partially just because it was my third DIY project (right after two 1.6 HyperD hammocks) partially because of the fabric (less slippery, visible square grid).

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AVatorL View Post
    I didn't sleep in these new hammocks yet. But i'm really impressed with hanging in the monolite hammock during warm sunny day (about 75F with high humidity). This is when I decided to call the hammock Breeze. It was really cool to feel light cooling wind through the fabric. And I like it's transparency. For sure it's going to be my never go out of home without it hammock to hang during a warm day. Regarding sleeping I think it's a perfect hammock to sleep during (very rare where I live) hot nights but I need to test it with an underquilt to understand if it will be better than HyperD to sleep during colder nights. I'm still waiting for my quilts to be delivered and I see no sense in testing this hammock with a sleeping pad I used before.

The monolite is lighter weight but it will be hard to put the monolite into smaller stuff sack than the HyperD.

With about 210 lbs I didn't feel any monolite stretching and it seems to be very strong while it's new. But I'm afraid (have no real proof so far) it will be more sensitive to any damages (a hole of the same size will be more dangerous for monolite than HyperD).

It was easier to sew the monolite hammock partially just because it was my third DIY project (right after two 1.6 HyperD hammocks) partially because of the fabric (less slippery, visible square grid).
    According to Kyle from RipstopByTheRoll, one of the key features of the Monolite fabric is that it's extremely durable. How it compares to a heavier fabric like 1.6 might be another question, but it's supposedly quite strong compared to other UL hammock fabrics.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post1947733

Quote Originally Posted by AVatorL View Post

Given the difficulties with getting it in a stuff sack, might a snakeskin-style arrangement be easier?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by onlysmallexplosions View Post
    Hey there, those are some great looking hammocks.

How do you like the monolite vs the 1.6 Hyper D? I'm literally trying to decide between these two fabrics for my first myog project right now.

I can weigh in here... Hyper D 1.6 has long been my favorite fabric. My first DIY hammock is in this wonderful fabric and I have another few yards to make another. The hand is fantastic. There is very little stretch and it gives my a wonderful nights sleep.

I just finished three nights on the Laurel Highlands Trail in PA, sleeping in my DIY 1.0 Monolite and I love it.. All things considered, more than the Hyper D. I opted to make a Half Wit Clone, with dual Knotty Mods and a fully removable bug net using a custom #3 coil zipper. The hammock came in at 8 oz on the button, with Dynaglide CL's, Zingit fixed SRL, dual side pullouts (which I do use) and all in a custom DIY DCF Bishop Bag. There are lots of good things to say about this fabric. I was pleasantly surprised with the limited amount of stretch and high level of comfort for such a light fabric. I love that I can see through it to position my UQ or just to see what's going on in camp. Sleeping three back-to-back nights in any hammock is a good indicator of how well it fits with your sleep style and body. It's now my favored hammock. For comparison, my other DIY Half Wit clone is in Robic 1.2 and the Monolite is far more comfortable for me.

The downside? It's nearly transparent so privacy is not something you get with Monolite. Although it contributes so little to pack weight (my TPW out the door on day one was 13.94 lbs) it is a bit bulkier than other fabrics and doesn't stuff down quite as small. It's not huge, but the Hyper D does stuff down to a smaller volume. It's not difficult to get in a stuff, just a bit less compressible.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts