First Time MOTO-CAMPING...with a Hammock

Looking for tips!

I'm headed on a trip from Northern IL to Maine next week on my Harley. I thought that Hammock Camping would be more fun, a lot less expensive, and easy to pack on the bike. Being that I'm on a motorcycle, which takes away the flexibility making many errors, I'm looking for advice and guidance.

Specifically:

1. Looking for a Motorcycle Friendly campsite. It doesn't have to be paved roads, but the less rugged the roads are getting, the better. I'm on a Harley touring bike, not an adventure bike.
    2. Looking to spend night one in the North Allegany. Or somewhere in the South West Corner of NY.
    3. Looking to spend night two around FerrisLake or Silver Lake...maybe.
    4. Some of the State Park websites shows pictures of campgrounds...cleared for tents. I'm assuming these are bordered with trees, but what if they're not?! Are there better sites for hammock vs tent camping?

I won't be able to sleep in the car...so I want to make sure that I get this right.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    WookieUQ BurrowTQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastorjamie View Post
    Looking for tips!

I'm headed on a trip from Northern IL to Maine next week on my Harley. I thought that Hammock Camping would be more fun, a lot less expensive, and easy to pack on the bike. Being that I'm on a motorcycle, which takes away the flexibility making many errors, I'm looking for advice and guidance.

Specifically:

1. Looking for a Motorcycle Friendly campsite. It doesn't have to be paved roads, but the less rugged the roads are getting, the better. I'm on a Harley touring bike, not an adventure bike.
    2. Looking to spend night one in the North Allegany. Or somewhere in the South West Corner of NY.
    4. Some of the State Park websites shows pictures of campgrounds...cleared for tents. I'm assuming these are bordered with trees, but what if they're not?! Are there better sites for hammock vs tent camping?

I won't be able to sleep in the car...so I want to make sure that I get this right.

Look and see if there is any NF dispersed camping areas. Normally plenty of trees and free. Some normal NF campgrounds have showers around here that means $20 a day. You could always do truck stop shower if needed. I love hammock camping by motorcycle.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless, WBRR, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB SF / CB
    Insulation
    HG UQ's LL+HG TQ's
    Suspension
    CB's/TurtleTies

First Time MOTO-CAMPING...with a Hammock

If you use an android phone, go to the play store and search for the “UC Public CG" app. It cost a few bucks but it may be worth it to you.
    "When the power of Love overcomes the Love of power. The world will know peace." ~ Jimi Hendrix
    "No matter where you go, there you are." ~ Buckaroo Banzai

Hammock
    DH Raven & Oak Creek Lost Valley
    Insulation
    Alps air pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Not sure if you’re looking for campsites with any facilities, but FWIW, you can camp in any New York state forest or “public use area.”

It’s just wilderness camping, but no permit required if you stay less than three nights, and obviously it’s totally free. Check the NY DEC website for more detailed regulations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/ EE
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    If you're looking for somewhere in the northern side of Allegheny, try Tracy Ridge campground. There are no showers but there are plenty of great hammock friendly sites. It's $10 a night. Down the hill, there is Willow Bay, and it has showers and full facilities. You wouldn't have any issue getting a motorcycle into either of them.

Senior Member Bennington.Camper's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin
    Suspension
    Straps/marlinspike
    Images
    Check out Shug's video on going to ground with your hammock. Always good to have a backup plan!

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB; WBRR; WBXLC;HH Exped
    Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastorjamie View Post
    Looking for tips!

Specifically:

Look at the "Lobster and Lighthouse Hang" thread here. It is held at the Meadowbrook Campground, in Phippsburg ME, and owned by an avid biker (Triker Tom on here). Beautiful coastal region, great camoground, hanger and biker friendly. TrikerTom is also a local trabel writer, font if infomation, and gracious host!

Skypainter

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Live Purposefully; Dare Greatly; Land Gently

If you're going to do something wrong, go for it! - Beryl G.

"Never knock on Death's door - just ring the bell and run. He hates that!"

IOverlander app worked great for my needs while moto-camping.

• + New Posts