Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

BWCA Angleworm Trail Solo Zen Trip

The woods have been calling me. I have not answered back as my time has been strangely full and it has been kinda hard to get out on a jaunt. The jaunt I want to take. Minnesota has been welcoming Spring. Then winter again. Then Spring again.
    Gigging, teaching Circus for the BFA Actors Training Program for 18th year, grading the students, doing 110 emcee sots for my wife's Circus Showcases, shooting and dealing with having an expensive new promo video....https://youtu.be/taVCyCKmqhc
    Taking care of my daughters dog for 11 weeks, taking my wife and sisters on our annual beach trip to Amelia Island, Florida.It was also my 61st birthday. Getting home and seeing Aerial our daughter reunite with her dog Bean. Driving Aerial, Bean, Meg and myself to Chicago to get Aerial and Bean home and Meg and I stay in the fancy W Hotel by the Navy Pier as we celebrated our 34 Anniversary. Aerial took us to Cirque Du Soliel's VOLTA as she has friends in the show. VIP treatment and backstage tour. Then home to finish a few things.
    Then....time to hit the Angleworm Trail up in the Boundary Waters Wilderness Canoe Area in northern Minnesota. Solo. Just me. Solitude. No chores or responsibility. Other than not die.
    Perfect. Bliss. Zen.
    Hit the road at 4:30 AM and drove 5 1/2 hours up. Took my time. Had to go to Ranger Station in Ely, MN to pick up my permit. A ery polite Ranger issued it to me and called me Sir a lot. I liked that. Asked him if he was former military. He replied no. He moved up from down South. So manners were beat into him. We talked about that. He said Sir 132 times.
    Temp was 42ºF and drizzly. Excited, I hit the trail.
    Quiet. Just the wind. And drizzle.
    Stayed on the East side of Angleworm as I like the sites there the best. On the water. Right there. Loon City.

Gear was all in my ULA OHM 2.0. Carries great for me.
    Warbonnet Eldorado hammock.
    Warbonnet 20º DiamondBack Top Quilt
    FrankenQuilt DIY 20º UQ.
    Wilderness Logics pillow
    DIY Blackcrow Tarp.

DSC01103.jpg

DSC01098.jpg

DSC01095.jpg

DSC01119.jpg

First night just me and the Loons on Whiskey Jack lake. No paddle routes to this lake. So all to me and the loons and owls. Got down to around 35ºF. Nippy and nice.

More to come.
    Shug

Last edited by Shug; 05-31-2019 at 21:28.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Chameleon, Netless
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, WB ThFly
    Insulation
    UGQ , HG, WB
    Suspension
    Dutch, Turtle Ties
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    The woods have been calling me. I have not answered back as my time has been strangely full and it has been kinda hard to get out on a jaunt. The jaunt I want to take. Minnesota has been welcoming Spring. Then winter again. Then Spring again.
    Gigging, teaching Circus for the BFA Actors Training Program for 18th year, grading the students, doing 110 emcee sots for my wife's Circus Showcases, shooting and dealing with having an expensive new promo video....https://youtu.be/taVCyCKmqhc
    Taking care of my daughters dog for 11 weeks, taking my wife and sisters on our annual beach trip to Amelia Island, Florida.It was also my 61st birthday. Getting home and seeing Aerial our daughter reunite with her dog Bean. Driving Aerial, Bean, Meg and myself to Chicago to get Aerial and Bean home and Meg and I stay in the fancy W Hotel by the Navy Pier as we celebrated our 34 Anniversary. Aerial took us to Cirque Du Soliel's VOLTA as she has friends in the show. VIP treatment and backstage tour. Then home to finish a few things.
    Then....time to hit the Angleworm Trail up in the Boundary Waters Wilderness Canoe Area in northern Minnesota. Solo. Just me. Solitude. No chores or responsibility. Other than not die.
    Perfect. Bliss. Zen.
    Hit the road at 4:30 AM and drove 5 1/2 hours up. Took my time. Had to go to Ranger Station in Ely, MN to pick up my permit. A ery polite Ranger issued it to me and called me Sir a lot. I liked that. Asked him if he was former military. He replied no. He moved up from down South. So manners were beat into him. We talked about that. He said Sir 132 times.
    Temp was 42ºF and drizzly. Excited, I hit the trail.
    Quiet. Just the wind. And drizzle.
    Stayed on the East side of Angleworm as I like the sites there the best. On the water. Right there. Loon City.

Gear was all in my ULA OHM 2.0. Carries great for me.
    Warbonnet Eldorado hammock.
    Warbonnet 20º DiamondBack Top Quilt
    FrankenQuilt DIY 20º UQ.
    Wilderness Logics pillow
    DIY Blackcrow Tarp.

First night just me and the Loons on Whiskey Jack lake. No paddle routes to this lake. So all to me and the loons and owls. Got down to around 35ºF. Nippy and nice.

More to come.
    Shug
    Nice Promo Video !!! Thanks for the work you do on these videos... streaming this one now while working... you're in the category of M.A.S.H. and Hogan's Heros... familiar enough that I can work w/o losing focus too much while still soaking in the good vibes A little taste of the good ol' BWCA and camping, even one cannot go himself!

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Nice review of that Diamondback quilt. I like that drawstring feature to pull in the sides...I could see that being a good addition for those times I'm not using a hammock.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    CC Ponderosa
    Insulation
    Sheltowee
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for the great video! Inspires me to get up there! It’s happening this year!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Each of us has an Up North. It's a time and a place far from the here and now. It's a map on the wall, a dream in the making, a tugging at one's soul. For those who feel the tug, who make the dream happen, who put the map in the packsack and go, the world is never quite the same." Sam Cook, Up North 1986

Nice trip report Can't wait to watch the vid later after I get a chance to wind down. Good to see you finally got a chance to get out. I love solo backpacking and it's always so long between my trips so I know that Zen feeling you get when your finally a few miles in and you start connecting with nature. Thanks for sharing and Happy Trails

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

I wondered if there was a part two coming. Your shooting and editing continues to evolve nicely, really brings the viewer into the scene to get a sense of what the experience is like. That's a hard thing to do in a video.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair/WB XLC
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    HG, WB and WL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Juggling moose poop...now I've seen it all! Great video Shug, thanks for taking us along.
    -Jameson
    Proud Member of the North Country Trail Association-Hiawatha Shore to Shore Chapter
    http://www.northcountrytrail.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Big Flounder View Post
    Juggling moose poop...now I've seen it all! Great video Shug, thanks for taking us along.
    That was pretty cool. At least Shug didn't pull a Bear Grylss and squeeze it out to get water or dig through it for berries.

I really enjoyed the video and am looking forward to part 2. Taking a 5 or more hour drive just to get some solo hang time is well worth the cost of a tank or gas. Something to consider for my next outing...

Digging the new REI hat!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Us5Camp View Post
    Nice Promo Video !!! Thanks for the work you do on these videos... streaming this one now while working... you're in the category of M.A.S.H. and Hogan's Heros... familiar enough that I can work w/o losing focus too much while still soaking in the good vibes A little taste of the good ol' BWCA and camping, even one cannot go himself!
    Thankee on the promo video. It was quite the project for a one minute video. I too can work on anything with MASH in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    Nice review of that Diamondback quilt. I like that drawstring feature to pull in the sides...I could see that being a good addition for those times I'm not using a hammock.
    It works really nicely. Seems to make the tuck even a wee bit easier.

Quote Originally Posted by ladyphaze View Post
    Thanks for the great video! Inspires me to get up there! It’s happening this year!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    It awaits you.

Quote Originally Posted by NOBOZax View Post
    Nice trip report Can't wait to watch the vid later after I get a chance to wind down. Good to see you finally got a chance to get out. I love solo backpacking and it's always so long between my trips so I know that Zen feeling you get when your finally a few miles in and you start connecting with nature. Thanks for sharing and Happy Trails

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
    Solos restore. I talk less.

Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    I wondered if there was a part two coming. Your shooting and editing continues to evolve nicely, really brings the viewer into the scene to get a sense of what the experience is like. That's a hard thing to do in a video.
    I always feel I get lazier with filming. Been at it a while and wonder how much longer I will continue. Hmmmmmm? Thankee

Quote Originally Posted by Big Flounder View Post
    I have juggled elephant poop back in my circus days. All clowns have.

Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    That was pretty cool. At least Shug didn't pull a Bear Grylss and squeeze it out to get water or dig through it for berries.

I really enjoyed the video and am looking forward to part 2. Taking a 5 or more hour drive just to get some solo hang time is well worth the cost of a tank or gas. Something to consider for my next outing...

Digging the new REI hat!
    They were a bit moist!
    The hours make the trip seem sweeter lus the landscape changes up there.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It was pointed out to me by a member on here that the sardine tin I toted in was illegal in the BWCA.
    Just slipped my mind in packing. I did carry it out of course as well as some other trash I found.
    I'll forgive myself.
    Shug the Guilty

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast