Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can I use Sea to Summit Tree Huggers with whoopie slings?

Hi, I was poking around and REI had these guys on clearance. I just made a pair of whoopie slings with Amsteel blue and I'm still a little new to the properties of it. I wondered if their steel buckle at the end would be a good thing, or bad thing to loop over with the fixed eye, instead of going through the trouble of making my own tree huggers and putting either a loop for a larks head or tying marlin spike hitches. Thanks for any replies!!

https://www.rei.com/product/114385/s...tree-protector

Images
    I don't see why you couldn't use those straps with whoopie slings by using a toggle and marlinspike hitch.

It's possible you could loop the fixed eye of the whoopie sling over that buckle on the straps, but I'd proceed with caution using that approach.

Images
    in this case, you could use the buckle itself as the toggle.

However, you can get 1" poly webbing from the hardware store for about $0.35 / ft that do just as well. Just tie or sew a loop in the end and voila. You can get any length you want. These ones from REI are only 56", which, depending on where you live, may be useless.

Another thing to consider is that in the Q/A section- these straps are only rated for 200# each. Most of the straps/ huggers that are recommended here for hammock suspension purposes are rated for at least 1000#- 1200# minimum.

Thanks for the replies. I was referring to using the buckle as the toggle to loop over.
    And I would assume that their 200# is the working load, and not the 1600 breaking load. At 1.5 inches, I'm not really sure where they're putting the 200 breaking point at...must be the buckle itself?

Just saw this as an easier option than sewing up webbing, then buying and sewing in a toggle or buckle of some kind.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    DIY UCR-LoopDLoop
    I can't speak to the breaking strength of the StS straps or buckle, but functionally, your proposed approach is not really that different than the Lawson LoopDLoops I've been using (and loving) for the past couple of years.

The one potential difference is that I use UCRs, and there is no amsteel moving/sliding on the toggle/LoopDLoop/buckle. With a whoopee sling, you'll want to double check that the whoopee is properly seated after any adjustment.

Can I use Sea to Summit Tree Huggers with whoopie slings?

No, not unless the whoopie slings are made by Sea to Summit. Using any other brand will void the warranty!

Quote Originally Posted by Arthurpan12 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I was referring to using the buckle as the toggle to loop over.
    And I would assume that their 200# is the working load, and not the 1600 breaking load. At 1.5 inches, I'm not really sure where they're putting the 200 breaking point at...must be the buckle itself?

Just saw this as an easier option than sewing up webbing, then buying and sewing in a toggle or buckle of some kind.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
    You can just use any random stick as a toggle.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Othello View Post
    The one potential difference is that I use UCRs, and there is no amsteel moving/sliding on the toggle/LoopDLoop/buckle. With a whoopee sling, you'll want to double check that the whoopee is properly seated after any adjustment.
    Or put the fixed eye of the whoopie on the buckle/toggle. Attach the adjustable end of the whoopie to the CL of the hammock using carabiner, Dutch biner, Dutch whoopie hook, Warbonnet FishHook, etc.

Depends on whether OP wants the whoopies threaded through the channels of the hammock, or easily removable.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    DIY UCR-LoopDLoop
    True story. There are so many ways to solve for suspensions.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast