Thread: Howdy from Ohio

Howdy from Ohio

Hey y'all! I'm too old remember my first camping trip (probably with the Cub Scouts), but I'm still young enough to remember my last (with my son's Boy Scout troop). We're planning a Northern Tier trip next summer and I have set my mind on never sleeping on the ground again. Back when Gander Mtn. was bought out, I purchased a ENO on a whim. Napped in it a few times in the back yard, but decided it would do the trick on our trip. I wasn't sure if BSA would frown on using a hammock, so I tried to find something packable to hang from. Woah but did I have some culture shock. I found Shug's videos, which led here, and Syntax's videos. LSS, I cobbled some gear together and my son and I had our first real hang out at Firelands BSA camp last month. While everyone else was trying to keep their gear our of the mud, I was high and dry, and quite warm thanks to my unplanned research.

So anyway, a big thanks to everyone for doing what campers do best, sharing and caring for fellow campers. Even when y'all don't know you're doing it.

Y'all are going to get a kick out of this rig, but I threw this hammock together in a couple of frantic hours. Just about all of it (minus the TQ & UQ) is from True Value and Home Depot.

20190504_165233.jpg

The UQ is a summer weight down quilt that my wife sewed a casing in and I ran shock cord through. I just used a sleeping bag for my TQ.

This was my son's rig. UBOWear integrated hammock and IDK the tarp brand, but the total was $50.

20190504_165301.jpg

BTW I am a displaced Southerner, born in Memphis, raised between there and Texas, and moved to OH to get married. Still stuck here, but making the best of it. I like to lurk, and I'm surprised this post is as long as it is.
    Last edited by Muscar67; 05-30-2019 at 20:28.

Hammock
    HG Netted
    Tarp
    ENO HouseFly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Images
    Welcome to the Buckeyes State! I'm from the southern part of the State.
    Last edited by markc61; 05-30-2019 at 19:03.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Howdy back at you.

I hail from the Cincinnati area. Welcome to the group. Looks like you have a nice start into hammock camping. Hobo and Ditz seem to have the Ohio group hangs up your way each month. Perhaps we'll meet sometime.

Portable hammock stand Here is a DIY version of the Tensahedron hammock stand. It is self contained and needs minimal guy wires.

Images
    You seem to have already mastered the upside down hang! That's some advanced hammocking!

Just kidding... Welcome to the forum!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/ EE
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Hello from Northeast Ohio. Enjoy hanging!

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Howdy from next door in Indy! Welcome aboard!
    Oooh, shiney! What does THIS button do?

Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    Howdy back at you.

I hail from the Cincinnati area. Welcome to the group. Looks like you have a nice start into hammock camping. Hobo and Ditz seem to have the Ohio group hangs up your way each month. Perhaps we'll meet sometime.
    I've been itching to do some trails down in Hocking Hills. I was thinking I would have to nudge the troop into backpacking, but it would help to know someone in the area to get my feet wet.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    Portable hammock stand Here is a DIY version of the Tensahedron hammock stand. It is self contained and needs minimal guy wires.
    Fell down that rabbit hole. Gonna keep me busy reading tonight. Thanks! BTW jeff-oh, I'd be willing to bet my dollars to your doughnuts that you're some flavor of engineer, judging by some of the terminology you use in that thread.

Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    You seem to have already mastered the upside down hang! That's some advanced hammocking!

Just kidding... Welcome to the forum!
    IDK what happened with those pics. They're right-side-up in my photo file. I tried saving them upside-down and re-uploading them, but negative Ghost Rider, the pattern was full.

Interesting setup. How do you keep yourself from falling out?

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

• + New Posts