Images

My new WB SuperShelter: WBRR, AHE RidgeCreekUQ, WB UQP/Poncho

This is really a fantastic system. Y'all probably know I am a long time(12 years) advocate for the HH Super Shelter, the system I started with, and one which I periodically go back to just for old times sake, and always still works. It's # 1 selling point for me always was that it was the only system for under insulation that came wind proof and water proof right out of the box. For one price, weight and volume, it included an excellent wind blocking UQP. One which, even used with some very small tarps, equaled or beat other systems with larger tarps when it came to wind proofing, or protection against splash up. At least while in the hammock, still can't beat a big tarp for times out of the hammock.

But, I have always known that this system could be easily reproduced with other hammocks. Even a bridge hammock. And in recent times, I have been doing so with the WBRR bridge. It is a truly comfortable and weather resistant system, even without a huge tarp with doors.

Playing with it today for example, I first hung my WBRR:

Very comfy, but if it was even slightly cold(it is not) I would be freezing on this windy day, unless I had a large enough tarp to block all the wind. So, next hang the AHE Ridge Creek, custom designed for this hammock:

Very warm, and perfectly snug fitting head to toe. But again, with this wind, I probably would be cold at even 40-50 degrees F. Of course, that is what a big tarp is for, but not today.

So next, I hang the WB sil-nylon Poncho/UQP. I have some times used this as my main rain protection while hiking. Of course, a poncho has it's pros and cons, but sometimes I do use them, and when I do it also serves as a pack cover and now an UQP, a triple play for about 7 oz or so! I screwed up and failed to get a pic from the outside, thought I did. But if I had done so, it would show complete coverage except for a couple of inches near the top most edge of the UQ, near the foot and head ends. This can be cinched up for total coverage by adding very light shock cord. But even without, the foot and head ends are totally covered, and when I lay in it, the hammock sinks down more than the UQP, resulting in total coverage of the entire hammock and UQ:

I have the saddle bags pulled in. You can tuck them in or they hang over the edge for use if needed, inside the UQP. You can see that coverage is several inches above the hammock and UQ on the sides, and it is also several inches above my head and feet on the ends, not visible. The UQP fits right up over the top most edge, just under the bars, on the ends. Wind will be totally blocked for both UQ and TQ, even if a smaller tarp is used. Or any tarp pitched high and wide, either of which will still take care of rain falling straight down.

So why do I call this a SS? It's just an UQP, right? So true, but it is also sil-nylon, not breathable. Basically another tarp for under neath. So even though there is a lot of slack between the UQP and the UQ(between a few inches to a foot), I know some will be worried about condensation. Particularly the majority with down UQs. Particularly if you snug it up any to maximize heat retention and side coverage. But, I have always successfully used either a light space blanket(SB) and or VB clothing, on top of all insulation, to prevent condensation down in the sil-nylon under cover, as have many others. I have also added a SB under my hammock which was surrounded by a Pea Pod, always with increased warmth and no condensation problems.

So, no reason why I can not add the same SB between this hammock and the UQ. If I was going to get any condensation down inside this UQP, even though there is all that extra space- and a big drain hole where my head goes during poncho use- I would expect the SB to solve that problem. In addition to adding 15+ degrees to the warmth of the UQ.

Lastly, why is this very much like a HHSS? The ease of addition of insulation. There is a lot of slack between the bottom of the
    UQ and the poncho/UQP. With the SB greatly minimizing any condensation issues, if in the unlikely event I still was not warm enough, I can just add any clothing not being slept in down under the AHE UQ and SB. To add several inches of loft. Then if needed to make contact with my back, a piece or 2 of thin shock cord should be able to lift it up.

Though I can not imagine all of this not being warm enough for anything I will ever encounter, to zero F or below, there is one trick left. My BB is double layer, and bridge hammocks are far more pad friendly than gathered hammocks are. Just slip my torso sized WM blue sit pad, which will be with me anyway, and I will be good for another 20+ degrees, and I won't even know it is there except for added warmth. If feet are cold, just then add my pack under my feet. I suspect this system would get most of us through anything we are likely to encounter. And a very comfy system for me. I could use lighter systems, but this one sure does work good.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 05-31-2019 at 14:40.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Nice. Congrats on your spiff, new setup. May it serve you well for years to come!
    Oooh, shiney! What does THIS button do?

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator20,UGQ
    Suspension
    Huggers and Amstel
    I have always found the view to be better in a WBRR, and that is one reason I sleep outdoors, so it works out very well. Looks like a very solid and comfortable set up!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Neat setup with the tent frame. What is your spread? I have one with a 10 and a 5 footer but it is a bit too close, I cannot adjust my suspension fully on the RR. I am thinking of going with 2 eight footers. Right now I am one side to a tree and the other side to the frame, but I use the wall legs also.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by electbc View Post
    Neat setup with the tent frame. What is your spread? I have one with a 10 and a 5 footer but it is a bit too close, I cannot adjust my suspension fully on the RR. I am thinking of going with 2 eight footers. Right now I am one side to a tree and the other side to the frame, but I use the wall legs also.
    My spread is about 15 ft, a 10 ft fence top rail joined to a couple of other pieces.

• + New Posts