Hennessy
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Duff
    Suspension
    Webbing, biners.
    Images

What is this ring or buckle system about?

Half the time when you guys talk it seems like Spanglish or something. Can someone break it down for me. I have only slept in the thing(hammock) once and played with it a dozen times or so. I use the Slap Strap pros. It's nice to know you guys know what you're talking about but, now I'm curious.
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."
    -Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scorpiorising80/

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Have not read about using the slap straps with this set-up. I suggest ditching them and using the folllowing method(s).
    The rings and buckles both work well. I have both on my hammocks. I have recently leaned in favor of the buckles cause I believe they are a little more secure. No slip knot to tie after the buckle which is no big deal really though. They would be more user friendly to the masses because unlike the rings, you dont have to be concerned about the rings seperating. The buckles weigh just a tiny bit more than the 4 rings.
    I bought my rings at my local REI. Did'nt see them online at REI like they used to be. You can buy them from here http://www.onrope1.com/store/index.p...d=327&parent=0
    The buckles can also be bought from there http://www.onrope1.com/store/index.p...d=118&parent=4
    No one else sells the cinch buckles as far as I or anyone else here knows. There is a $10 minimum order at onrope1 so you might look elsewhere for the rings.
    As far as webbing, there are a few options that folks here use. Either polypropylene or polyester is the way most people go. I use Ed Speers polypro
    webbing. I use 12 feet per side. He will sew the loop on the end of the webbing if you ask him. Another popular choice is polyester webbing from Strapworks. www.strapworks.com/Polyester_Webbing_p/pew1.htm More color options here if that is important to you. They will also sew the loop in the end for you at a very small charge. Nylon webbing is to be avoided due to it's excessive stretching. The most popular choice in carabiners are the Camp USA ones www.rei.com/product/736487 They are the lightest and strongest on the market. I bought mine at my local REI. They are also sold elsewhere.
    How you tie your support rope to either the rings or the buckles will depend on what kind of hammock you are using and whether or not you have removed your suspension line/rope. There are many options but I will name but a couple. If I am correct I believe you said you were interested in getting a Hennessy hammock. If you get something like a Backpacker Ultralight, you could cut the line on each end at about the 2 foot mark. Some folks here dont cut their's cause they want to keep it for future options. Again there is no absolute way to go about all of this. I personally use a ascender knot around either the rings or buckles and then tie it off with a bowline.http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...r&imageuser=45
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...r&imageuser=45
    A couple here have taken the whole suspension rope off of their Hennessy hammock and replaced it with somthing like Spyderline. Definetely no need to do this though.
    So in a nutshell, with the biner already put at the end of the webbing at the loop, you just wrap the webbing around the tree, click the biner and attach around the webbing. Your webbing should already be put through either the rings or the buckles before your trip. Adjust each side till you are happy and your done. Always check each side out carefully before getting in your hammock regardless of which one you use. And always use a slip knot if using the rings.
    I suggest you continue to scan through the ring/buckle thread. Again there are several ways to go about all of this.
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 07-29-2007 at 09:30.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

morphing from Slap Strap to rings / buckle

hard to imagine someone doesn't want to hang on every word on that thread

Think about the way your slap strap works. When you clip the biner to one of the loops on the strap you have selected a distance for the strap from tree to biner. The only distances you can choose are those provided for you by the loops on the strap. The point of contact between the hammock and the webbing is that little loop onto which you clip the biner.

The rings or buckles provide a different kind of point of contact. Imagine the sort of belt you might wear on trousers that lets you set any width you want when you tighten it. The slap stap is like the kind of belt with holes and the metal tongue that you stick in to a hole to select the width, the ring / buckle is like the kind that let's you set the width to anything you like.

So now picture in your mind a webbing that is looped around a tree, with one end that comes off of it. There is a set of rings, or a buckle along that end that work very much like they do on a belt. Depending on how much webbing you pull through the rings or buckle you affect the distance between the tree and the buckle. Now if you could clip the hammock's biner onto the rings or buckle then you'd have a way of adjusting the distance between tree and hammock. More typically with a rings / buckle system we don't have that biner on the hammock end. Instead we take the cord from the hammock that clips onto the biner in the slap strap system, and attach it to the rings or buckles semi-permanently.

In the slap strap system you loop the webbing around the tree, then clip the biner onto a little loop. With the rings or buckles you (conceptually) loop the webbing around the tree, then loop the free end through a pair of rings or a cinch buckle that are attached to the hammock end, and then select the distance from tree to hammock by how much webbing you pull through the rings or buckles.

In practice folks leave the webbing threaded through the rings / buckle all the time. The way you can do this and still get the webbing around the tree is to have a biner at the end of the webbing that goes around the tree. So you loop that end of webbing around the tree a couple of times, then clip the biner onto the end of the webbing that is stretching out to the rings or buckle.

A picture is worth a thousand words. So I've provided the thousand words, read them looking at any one of the many pictures of rings or buckles in that thread.

Grizz the school-marm

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    go to miu's gallery. she has good clear pics of her ring set up done without modifying her hh permanently. i'm on my internet enabled phone/pda or i'd find the link for you her pic is what made it all make sense to me.
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    More pics and instructions...

CC Buckles

Ring Buckles
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

I am going on my first hike with the slap strap system. I set it up the first time last week in my back yard and wished their was someway to get to a middle distance between the two closest loops. I purchased from REI two biners with a connecting strap that joined them together. Now I can use one biner if the distance in good enough, or can join the two biners together to gain some distance or can use the two biners with the short connecting strap. Their is the weight of another biner but feel it is worth it. I will only do this on one end of the hammock.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hey - welcome to the land of posters, joec! Sounds like you found a system that works for you.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Duff
    Suspension
    Webbing, biners.
    Images
    OMG. I think I have it. lol So basically My slap straps have SET loops for distance. Using the rings or buckles you have more options as far as distance from the tree b/c you just wrap it around the tree and adjust. Geez. I can't wait for Blackie's hang in Andalusia. So I can have 2 days to ask the same questions over and over until I get it. I am SUCH a VISUAL Learner. =/ I had been reading through the threads about the 2 but, just couldn't get what was going on. I thought you guys were just playing around to be playing around or something. Silly me. THANKS ALL!
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."
    -Churchill

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    when is that hangout again? I may try to get down for it.
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Duff
    Suspension
    Webbing, biners.
    Images
    August 18/19
    -Churchill

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast