Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Images
    does rope 1 manufacture these things? how are they going to use these things on a harness if they don't know the breaking strength of them? seems sketch to me. i guess they did do a failure test on the harness, but i bet they know what the webbing they use in the harness is rated to. seems they should get specs on the components before the make a harness out of them. i would ask for the name and number of the manufacturer since they don't know the specs on what they sell/use.

that said, looks plenty strong for hangin' purposes.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    does rope 1 manufacture these things? how are they going to use these things on a harness if they don't know the breaking strength of them? seems sketch to me. i guess they did do a failure test on the harness, but i bet they know what the webbing they use in the harness is rated to. seems they should get specs on the components before the make a harness out of them. i would ask for the name and number of the manufacturer since they don't know the specs on what they sell/use.

I'd bet my life on it. I did the other nite.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    So what it comes down to is that the rating of the buckle is not really known beyond the 500 lb "proof loading" except for "gut feeling". Nice to know.
    That's true. The same can be said of the cleats, though. They have a stated 200lb rating, with only hearsay evidence supporting the claim that they will safely hold more.

Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    i would ask for the name and number of the manufacturer since they don't know the specs on what they sell/use.

I've pursued the inquiry as far as I care to take it, but anyone else is certainly free to follow it up with OnRope1 or possibly their supplier. Despite TeeDee's apprehension, I have complete confidence in the buckles' ability to safely carry the forces applied while used on my hammock suspension. Their strength is clearly much greater than many of the other components of my hammocks, including the fabric of the hammock bodies themselves. It is reasonable to expect that a hammock suspension failure will occur at the weakest link, and since that isn't the buckle, I have no misgivings about using or recommending the buckles.
    Last edited by angrysparrow; 07-27-2007 at 23:32.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    That's true. The same can be said of the cleats, though. They have a stated 200lb rating, with only hearsay evidence supporting the claim that they will safely hold more.

I've pursued the inquiry as far as I care to take it, but anyone else is certainly free to follow it up with OnRope1 or possibly their supplier. Despite TeeDee's apprehension, I have complete confidence in the buckles' ability to safely carry the forces applied while used on my hammock suspension. Their strength is clearly much greater than many of the other components of my hammocks, including the fabric of the hammock bodies themselves. It is reasonable to expect that a hammock suspension failure will occur at the weakest link, and since that isn't the buckle, I have no misgivings about using or recommending the buckles.

Well said.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    To paraphrase:

I've pursued the inquiry as far as I care to take it, but anyone else is certainly free to follow it up with Marinetech Products. Despite angrysparrow's apprehension, I have complete confidence in the cleats' ability to safely carry the forces applied while used on my hammock suspension. Their strength is clearly much greater than many of the other components of my hammocks, including the fabric of the hammock bodies themselves. It is reasonable to expect that a hammock suspension failure will occur at the weakest link, and since that isn't the cleat, I have no misgivings about using or recommending the cleats.

Well said angrysparrow

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    ..... Despite TeeDee's apprehension, I have complete confidence in the buckles' ability to safely carry the forces applied while used on my hammock suspension....
    By the way angrysparrow - I have no apprehension concerning the CC buckles whatsoever.

Nor have I ever expressed any apprehension concerning the use of the buckles.

I have no apprehension, nor expressed any apprehension, for the simple reason that I have never used the CC buckles nor plan to ever use the CC buckles.

I just find it rather amusing and humorous that you should denigrate the use of a suspension method when you have never used the method and have expressed no interest in using the method and are totally ignorant of the forces involved in the method.

I find this doubly amusing and humorous when you have been advocating the use of the CC buckles based on your use and when you have zero knowledge about the load rating of the buckles and it turns out that nobody has any true knowledge of the load rating of the CC buckle.

You advocate one device based on ignorance of the load rating of the device and then denigrate the use of another device based on the the rating of the device used and have zero knowledge of the forces involved.

Yes - truly amusing and indeed very humorous.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    and have zero knowledge of the forces involved.

Yes - truly amusing and indeed very humorous.
    TeeDee, I have a very good understanding of the forces involved, but I have no interest in hashing it out on this forum. As for the rest of your post, you can be as derogatory as you like about me. Your opinion of me doesn't matter in the least. ...and that's all I'll say about the topic.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Yep might be time to give it a rest.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    sounds to me that the clinch buckle makes a much stronger statement about the limits of their product than the cleats. but that's just my opinion. i don't think any of us have the answers to all the questions.
    besides i think we can better spend our time here on HF looking at the details & discussing them in a more respectful way than what i'm seeing on this thread.
    i believe everyone would appreciate it if we would just steep back & give it a rest. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images

need cinch buckle- any of y'all got extra you'd like to sell?

Well, I went ahead and ordered the cleats to play around with. But I have ordered some webbing also, thinking I would just try both systems for myself. Then I went to order cinch buckles. But since I saw the 5 buckle minimum for an order, it occurred to me some of you guys might have some you want to sell. See my post in "wanted to buy" if you are interested. I am holding off on my order thru tonight.

And speaking of those working load ratings on various devices, for an extra .8 ounce and couple of bucks, they do have that cinch buckle that has twice the rating of the one under discussion.

Now all I need is to order the hitchcraft, and my collection will be complete!

Bill the gear collector

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast