Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First time out, results below

Hey all,

I finally got most of my gear together and headed to central PA for a weekend of flyfishing. I figured I'd let you know how it went.

I pulled into the primitive motorized site Friday around 12:00. I found two trees about 12 feet apart. In hindsight, this was a little tight. I pulled out my simply light designs starter hammock, and after remembering a video from Shug, I put up the hammock fairly easily. I even remembered to put the fronkey bugnet around the hammock first. I practiced a few times at home and that helped me remember the knots as in there was no cell service anywhere nearby.

I then set up my Hennessy hex tarp. I then realized a small error. The hex tarp is 12 feet, the length between the trees. I then forgot my knots, my mind went blank. I didn't see trees with a few more feet, but honestly, I thought I could manage. After much trial and error, I figured out a fix, but that left my tarp a little cockeyed, I figured if it rained, I would be ok as long as it rained straight down It was now 1:15. I did say much trial and error.

Thanks to mOOch for the tarp and bugnet. Despite my difficulty with the set up of the tarp, they both worked great the whole weekend.

I went fishing, came back and the tarp and hammock were still there!

I got back after dark and got ready for bed. I ordered my underquilt too late, so I went without it. The temps were in the 50's at night, so I just wore full thermals, warm socks, and a Melanza hoody. That worked on night one. Night two, the wind got too bad and I was shivering for a bit. My 40 degree EE quilt worked great. I used a small sit pad under my lower back and that helped a lot. I tried my full-size klymit v but it kept slipping and sliding. My arrowhead quilt should arrive this week.

It took me a while to fall asleep, the woods were super loud with life and it was a bit weird at first being exposed. I woke up a few times, probably because I went to bed pretty early for me. I may bring a book next time.

I ended up sort of sliding so that I was laying diagonal, my head was to the left. It was comfy so I just stayed there.

I didn't have any place to store my gear so I threw some on top of me and I put a small plastic sheet on the ground for my shoes and other stuff.

What went well:
    1. I didn't fall out
    2. The hammock didn't fall
    3. A tree didn't fall on top of me
    4. It was way more comfortable than my on the ground set up.
    5. The bug net was SUPER easy to get in and out.

What can be improved
    1. It was super loud- I need earplugs
    2. I need a place to store my stuff
    3. I need to figure out a way to hand my tarp low enough so that if the wind cuts across me I don't get a cold butt.
    4. First light woke me right up, I need to figure out a fix to keep it a little darker for me

Thanks again for your advice and answers to all the posts I searched through. I am gonna take this set up out in two weeks and I'll report back!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG CF/doors
    Insulation
    UGQZeppelin/Bandit
    Suspension
    Huggers/Mule Tape
    Sounds like a decent first trip out! We all keep learning as we go out more and more, enjoy the journey!

The tree spacing is crucial to a great hang and getting the tarp set up right. Depending on the size and shape of the tarp, if you hang it low to the hammock ridgeline it will make it easier to use it to block the wind. The UQ will help tremendously, just take the time to get it adjusted well, having a friend help to identify gaps is a great help.

Look into a hangtime hook and a ridgeline organizer, both very useful! Keep it up!!!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Hex, DIY
    Insulation
    LLG Saver TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Beetles
    It seems like you're off to a good start. I'm a relatively new hanger and here's some unsolicited advice:

For Item 2, I've been using my hammock and tarp stuff sacks as ridgeline pouches to put stuff. If I can muti-use what I have, then I don't have to carry more kit.

As for Item 3, Cold Butt Syndrome, you will see a world of difference when your underquilt comes in. Hanging your tarp tight and low helps a little, but nothing compared to a good cozy underquilt! I made do with a 10 degree UQ year round for two years, but just recently bought a summer synthetic quilt that's lighter and packs smaller. You can always vent an UQ that's too warm, but it is hard to warm up when the temps fall below its rating. Last summer I tried sleeping on a covered dock in western VA with overnight lows of 70. I didn't use my UQ because I thought I'd roast. Lesson learned, I suffered CBS and had to call it quits around 2:00 am.

Happy Hanagin'. And maybe we'll see you at a group event sometime!

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless - for now
    Tarp
    Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Where’d you fish? Poe Valley/Paddy? Some place on the Pine Creek?

I concur with the noise and the light. I carry earplugs now even though I miss the birdies in the morning. Also I wear a knit hat that adds some warmth and I pull over my eyes. Going to be buying a mask for summertime though.

As stated by others the underquilt - properly adjusted - will solve the warmth issue.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 2.0,WBRR,ElDorado
    Tarp
    12' Silpoly DIY
    Insulation
    HG TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Outdoor Ink Straps
    Images
    Underquilts are amazing and life altering. You may find the sounds of the night, dawn of the sun and chirping birds much less annoying when you are all snuggled up with an UQ. IMHO

Images
    Caddis, 'Ya did great! Sounds very similar to my first trip 12 years ago, except not as cold. Welcome to the club!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Enjoy being new at it and learning all there is ahead of you.
    Wish I could go back to my hammock beginnings sometimes.
    Whoooooo Buddy))))
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Quote Originally Posted by caddis76 View Post
    2. I need a place to store my stuff
    3. I need to figure out a way to hand my tarp low enough so that if the wind cuts across me I don't get a cold butt.
    For number two, what you did is what I've done many times. I have a piece of Tyvek with me and typically put it on the ground under my hammock. That gives me a place to stand in sock feet to enter/exit the hammock. In rainy weather, it gives me a dry place to stand. I've also used it to keep the pack dry by wrapping the pack in it. Nothing wrong with that at all. You can also try hanging the pack from your hammock suspension on one end or the other if the tarp extends far enough to cover it. Another solution I'm tinkering with but have not used in the field yet is a small gear hammock. I've made one but haven't hiked with it yet.

Getting the tarp lower is relatively easy if your trees are spaced better. The tight hang you describe limits your options somewhat. You'll be fine next time.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

I fished the Penns at Weikert and Inglesby. Looking forward to heading back in two weeks.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by caddis76 View Post
    I went fishing.......
    'Nuff said right there. Sounds like a great trip! I think you did very well for your first trip. Although I'm sure it happens, I think it's a rarity when someone has a first trip with no issues.

You are already way ahead of what I had on my first hammock camping trip. The UQ you have on order will make a huge difference in your comfort level, and getting some good sleep. I agree with you about the noise level in the forest. I wear ear plugs myself, and it does help.

I was with my son on his first overnight trip in the forest, and he was nervous about all the noises. The way I explained it to him is, there is more activity and work being done by the animals and critters at night than there is in the daytime. Essentially we are interrupting their routines and sleeping in the their kitchen and front room.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast