Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Space blanket
    Suspension
    Constrictors

No-Hardware Solutions

I just want to say thank you to both Jeff Myers and Anne Marie for pushing the boundaries of No-Hardware commecial solutions.

Thank you both for sharing your projects.

Jeff Myers Channel:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAZ...40L-mYuZrMfhEg

Anne Marie Channel:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD0...vM2mriwudKznOQ

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Autumn Outdoor Gear
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Duster
    Insulation
    LSOH
    Suspension
    Autumn Ultralight
    Quote Originally Posted by rasidi View Post
    I just want to say thank you to both Jeff Myers and Anne Marie for pushing the boundaries of No-Hardware commecial solutions.

Thank you both for sharing your projects.

Jeff Myers Channel:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAZ...40L-mYuZrMfhEg

Anne Marie Channel:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD0...vM2mriwudKznOQ

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    Thank you for the kind words.

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk
    My name is Anne Marie and I make things.
    www.autumnoutdoorgear.com

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    WookieUQ BurrowTQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I’ve been burning up those channels. Lots of good info. I’m trying my hand at evo loops today.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I went hardware-free this past year, and could not be happier. Jeff Myers is a great resource. His prices are also fantastic if you need to purchase any lightweight webbing/components.

Hammock
    DIY 1.6 oz HyperD XL
    Insulation
    New River long
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks to inspiration from Jeff Myers’ YouTube channel my hammock setup is now “bling” free.

Given that Jeff asked me to post this after a comment on his youtube channel, this seems like as good a place as any. Apologies for the abysmal quality, it was windy and I'm useless at this sort of thing.

This is how I've got my tarp ridgeline set up, after a few recent tweaks.

First off, all of the cordage is some Emma Kites stuff I got off Amazon: it splices very easily, and seems to do the job perfectly, while being much cheaper than Zing It/Lash It in the UK. It does seem to need slightly longer buries than Zing It/Lash It, though: the ones pictured on the UCR bit here were pretty marginal, and needed to be carefully milked to hold at all: I've since extended them, which fixed the issue.

The main ridgeline is a double-ended UCR, with a short piece of cordage with a fixed loop in one end attached to the tarp tie-outs (one end larks-headed on, the other via a soft shackle, so it's removable without having to undo any splices), then the main line buried inside each.

IMG_20190603_192554066_HDR[1].jpg

Running that line straight around the tree made more friction than I was happy with, which made it annoying to get centred, so instead, I made two more bits of cordage, with a very small fixed loop spliced into one end, a lumpy knot in the other, and a lumpy knot with a loop in it 1/3 of the way along.

IMG_20190603_192856436_HDR[1].jpg

That way, I can make three different-sized sort-of-soft-shackle loops: a small one by passing the end-knot through the mid-loop, a medium one by passing the mid-knot through the end-loop, and a big one by passing the end-knot through the end-loop. These are used essentially like tree straps: I pass them around the tree, through the main tarp suspension, then lock it up, then tension the ridgeline.

IMG_20190603_192606780_HDR[2].jpg

I actually have four of these tree-loops, two of them passed through pieces cut from the rubbishy tubular webbing that comes with DD hammocks, for when I'm using trees that have relatively fragile bark, or in places that require webbing for anything tied to trees).

IMG_20190603_192526650_HDR[1].jpg

The main advantage is that you can adjust the tension from whichever end you happen to be standing at, and you can centre it with the tension on, since there's very little friction on the ridgeline part of the system. It does rely on the guy lines to hold the tarp in position if it gets very windy, so you might not want to use it with a diamond tarp, since those don't have any pull from the guy lines in the ridgeline-parallel direction. It works fine on both my square and hex tarps, though. The other thing that I'm not certain about is how much wear there'll be where the ridgeline meets the tree-loops (it was fine with the cordage on the previous version, but this stuff is much thinner, and has a different coating, so it remains to be seen how it goes). If it turns out to be a problem, I'll add two more bits of that webbing to the tree ropes there, with a knot to hold it in place.

• + New Posts