Simply Light Designs - Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ / HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Straps

VIDEO: A snowy trip in to the Wenaha-Tucannon Wilderness

We were looking to try to escape the snow that is still in the mountains near us. The Blue Mountains usually melt out before our mountains do, but not this year.

The forecast was supposed to be rainy the whole trip. It was raining when we started out, but stopped shortly after we started hiking. As we started climbing we hit snow earlier than I was expecting. We made camp about halfway up the climb to the top of the bluff.

The second day we started hiking our way up and right away we were in the snow. It was slow going, but manageable. We were hoping that once we hit the top, the snow would've melted off, but that was not the case. At that point we decided that we would change our route because we were not going to be able to make the mileage we needed to complete our original route. We decided to try going further west to try to get out of the snow, but it was nothing doing. Everything was choked in by snow. On the 2nd night we ended up camping at the Godman Campsite.

On the 3rd day we worked our way down the drainage, in the snow, to find the Meadow Creek trail. We found a couple different road cuts that we followed, but they kept taking us up out of the drainage. The drainage was starting to get really steep and we were getting a little worried that we could get cliffed out, so we just dropped straight down in to the bottom of the drainage. We finally located the trail and walked out of the snow. It was quite and adventure!

Thanks for checking it out!

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Beautiful area, great trip video!

We (wife, son, me) did some snowshoe hiking yesterday (June 9!!) near Bald Mountain pass, right near the Hayden Peak trailhead side of the Uinta Wilderness Area in Utah (the Mirror Lake area). The Mirror Lake Highway, which is usually completely open by Memorial Day, is open only at the lower elevations. There is still 65" of snow at Bald Mountain Pass. Unbelievable.

Senior Member mountain wanderer's Avatar
    Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ / HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazytown3 View Post
    Beautiful area, great trip video!

We (wife, son, me) did some snowshoe hiking yesterday (June 9!!) near Bald Mountain pass, right near the Hayden Peak trailhead side of the Uinta Wilderness Area in Utah (the Mirror Lake area). The Mirror Lake Highway, which is usually completely open by Memorial Day, is open only at the lower elevations. There is still 65" of snow at Bald Mountain Pass. Unbelievable.
    WOW!! That is incredible! We are possibly thinking about a trip into to the High Uintas in late July. I guess if we do, we better plan on hitting some snow.

Excellent video! Your camera and sound is top notch Glad you got back safely and even though it didn't go as planned these are the trips that you talk about years later Man you guys that live out west really make me envious with the abundance of beautiful country you have to walk in. Awesome to see ya out enjoying it and awesome that you made a video to share. Thanks! Happy Trails

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Excellent video. Where's the pup? It amazes me how different the temps are NW vs SE US. We've been in a heat way for over a month and you guys still have snow. Thanks for taking us along.

Senior Member mountain wanderer's Avatar
    Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ / HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by NOBOZax View Post
    Excellent video! Your camera and sound is top notch Glad you got back safely and even though it didn't go as planned these are the trips that you talk about years later Man you guys that live out west really make me envious with the abundance of beautiful country you have to walk in. Awesome to see ya out enjoying it and awesome that you made a video to share. Thanks! Happy Trails

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
    Thank you! You're right too, this is one that we will remember. And we'll still get to come back and do the route that we originally intended to do.

Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Excellent video. Where's the pup? It amazes me how different the temps are NW vs SE US. We've been in a heat way for over a month and you guys still have snow. Thanks for taking us along.
    It's been crazy. Some places are still getting snow! This area is known for rattlesnakes and since we intended on moving fast, and thought that the area would be most snow free, we decided to leave them behind. Once we got there and saw the conditions, we wished we would've brought them.

• + New Posts