View Poll Results: Do you prefer LineLoc3 or D-Rings for tying out your Tarp?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Beasty D-Ring

24 66.67%
  • LineLoc 3

12 33.33%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesam3 View Post
    Honestly? Just grosgrain loops. I tie the lines to the tarp anyway, so it doesn't make much difference.
    This - knots are weightless!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    If I had to pick just one, I'd vote D-rings. More versatile. In fact, Lineloc hooks can be attached to D-rings to give the best of both worlds, at the sacrifice of a tiny amount of extra weight, bulk, complexity, etc.
    I've never broken a plastic D-ring, but if that did happen, I'd replace it with a split ring or two. Split rings might be even more versatile than the plastic D-ring.
    This is how I'm currently rolling. Liking it so far.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF Stnd + WP
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    If I had to pick just one, I'd vote D-rings. More versatile. In fact, Lineloc hooks can be attached to D-rings to give the best of both worlds, at the sacrifice of a tiny amount of extra weight, bulk, complexity, etc.
    I've never broken a plastic D-ring, but if that did happen, I'd replace it with a split ring or two. Split rings might be even more versatile than the plastic D-ring.

^^^^^ THIS EXACTLY ^^^^^

I prefer split rings

I look at linelocs and immediately think.. I gotta carry all that plastic?

Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    Line locs are simple, easy and I don't have to deal with insects.

LOL... I see what you did there... Nice...
    * The difficulty of finding any given trail marker is directly proportional to the importance of the consequences of failing to find it.

* I can lift all the weight I want at the gym. Walking shouldn't be a workout. ~ Just Bill

Hammock
    Pick one?
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Putting LineLoc 3's on a tarp as the default prevents customers from being able to use certain types of guyline, for example the popular Atwood Micro Cord (1.2mm), Zpacks Z-Line (1.2mm), or Dutch Wire (1.3mm).
    I agree. If I had to choose between the two, I would pick D-rings because they are more versatile. I have LineLocs on two of my tarps (one sewn on and one larks headed on). I have Stingerz for tie outs on my other tarps. I know, so much extra cordage weighing down my pack, but versatile, easy, and tight.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    This just shows, we all agree to hang our own hang. I'm a Beasty D ring guy myself, but could use the line loc or grosgrain loop as well. Beasty D rings seem to be the best ROBUST and durable choice for the long run, and worth the extra few grams IMHO.

Images
    If this poll, started by Sally Brown (President of Hammock Gear), is being conducted in order for Hammock Gear to make a decision on what to include as standard hardware on their tarps, then I would offer a humble suggestion to make it an option, as many of the cottage vendors in the industry do. Choose one type as the baseline and provide a drop-down menu to choose one of the other options (with cost adder if appropriate). With a lead time of 5 weeks, we can assume the tarps are made to order, and all the other vendors I can think of that make tarps to order offer a choice of hardware (or lack thereof) to use at the corners. Vendors that aren't making most of their tarps to order (like Warbonnet and Dutchware, for example) don't offer this choice, which makes sense in terms of keeping their number of SKUs and inventory costs manageable.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur and Trail Lair
    Tarp
    4 SLD's and HG CF
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, EE
    Suspension
    straps - whoopies
    I never put 2 and 2 together on who started the poll. 4 of my tarps are SLD and line locs are standard. I liked them so much I requested they be put on my CF tarp when I ordered it from Hammock Gear.

Making it a drop down option when ordering a tarp makes sense.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    I never put 2 and 2 together on who started the poll. 4 of my tarps are SLD and line locs are standard. I liked them so much I requested they be put on my CF tarp when I ordered it from Hammock Gear.

Making it a drop down option when ordering a tarp makes sense.
    Dave, you're right about Line Locs being the default on SLD tarps, but there is still an option to choose D-rings or "none" (just grosgrain).

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I would recommend HG to stay with D rings.I attached some Line Loc 3's to D rings.D ring will always be more versatile.I like a Line Loc 3 and also Fleas.Also have a set of tarp worms.It's all good.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper or no net
    Tarp
    Toxaway or asym
    Insulation
    Down/Apex UQs
    Suspension
    Ultimate straps
    Images
    I've got both on two different tarps. Line locs on the asym as its really easy. In fact, I the stakes on the lines and wrap up with the tarp for an easy grab and go pkg. On my hex tarps, I prefer to have some options for line and lock down, so d-rings or loops.

p.s. I can't stand the idea of split rings. Something where the designed benefit is failure. I crank my tarp to get a taut pitch and never have an issue.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast