Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I wouldn't push it too far. I think your biggest issue would be if it were cold & windy with no UQ protector...you'd have to have the tarp as low as possible. Seeing you got a Superfly, shouldn't be a problem.

Still, if you're deadset on having one set of quilts, get the 20F.

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle

Florida Hangers: 20 Degree UQ?

I'm in central FL and I use a 20° Wooki XL as my only UQ. To me, the question of what UQ rating to get has never been about, "will I be too warm?" It's more about, "is it heavier/bulkier than I can carry?" I've never been too warm because of an underquilt. I don't know what your packing size & weight requirements are, but I'd start there. If a 20° fits the bill, then get one. You're far more likely to find yourself wishing you had more insulation than less.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
    I'm in central FL and I use a 20° Wooki XL as my only UQ. To me, the question of what UQ rating to get has never been about, "will I be too warm?" It's more about, "is it heavier/bulkier than I can carry?" I've never been too warm because of an underquilt. I don't know what your packing size & weight requirements are, but I'd start there. If a 20° fits the bill, then get one. You're far more likely to find yourself wishing you had more insulation than less.
    I like to keep my base weight under 15-20 lb. Somebody else mentioned venting a wookie might be a problem. Is that your experience? If venting a Wookie is difficult I might be inclined to get a 3-season yeti instead.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Great information, by the way. Thanks to all that have responded!

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    Quote Originally Posted by Variable View Post
    I like to keep my base weight under 15-20 lb. Somebody else mentioned venting a wookie might be a problem. Is that your experience?
    I've never had to vent my UQ. I sleep cold. Bottom insulation doesn't bother me.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Variable View Post
    Would a 40 degree (3/4 length, maybe overfilled), in conjunction with a pad, stretch me into the 20s, as long as the top insulation (and clothing) up to the task? I only hit GA maybe once a year in the spring, and would rather get the most versatile possible insulation for now. If I make it up to ONF for a hang, I don't want to make the walk of shame back to my vehicle
    I've used a yoga pad into the 20's. Slept warm(except feet) underneath except the times I slipped slightly off the pad. Not fun in the 20's.

I've also used my synthetic half UQ to 23(my PB cold) feeling cool enough to know not to try that again. It's my Summer Quilt. Actually my only UQ at the time.

To answer your question, Yes and No. Only you can determine that answer. A pad alone can do it for you but may not be as comfortable in a hammy.

We can only help guide you. If you can afford it, leave the pad/UQ combo and stick to just a UQ into the 20's if you want to reduce your bulk.

The best part about this camping style is the R&D. I love my testing over and over and over and over. I'm sure I haven't finished testing.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Hummingbird single+
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Premium 30° set
    Suspension
    Straps & Muletape
    I just went through the exact same debate myself so I totally get what you're going through. You could just be safe and get a 20F but that's more weight and bulk than you will need 90% of the time here in FL. I ended up ordering a 30F incubator/burrow set from Hammock Gear since I knew FL can still get down to freezing in the winter. I will be getting the quilts in a Few weeks and will be taking them with me on tour with my band 2nd week of July. We try to camp whenever possible to save money on hotels. I'll be gone a month and should get ample opportunity to test the new set out so I'll let you know how it feels in various parts of the USA.

One thing I did do to make a 40f crappy Onetigris UQ work down to the teens was I made a DIY underquilt out of a SOL emergency blanket. I put that between my hammock and the UQ and I was absolutely toasty. The thing only weighs 8oz and cost me $25 to make. I used it a few weeks ago when I was visiting by brother in CO. We went backpacking in mountains at 12,000ft and I was great.

Also one note about overfill. I may be wrong but my understanding is the UQ material is cut to reach a certain loft. Loft equals insulation which creates our cozy cocoons. Overstuffing can help with keeping down from shifting as much so less likelyhood of getting a cold spot from poor distribution but you can only get as much loft as the quilt is built for. Taking a 30F quilt and overstuffing it 6oz doesn't give you a 0F quilt just a really hassle free more wind resistant 30F. More experienced members please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Last edited by JoshForthteller; 06-15-2019 at 10:53. Reason: Typo

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12