Ninox double layer flat lay
    Tarp
    help?
    Insulation
    help?
    Suspension
    help?

new convert in search of wisdom

My brother has converted me to the hammock way of things...I have a ninox double layer flat lay hammock on the way.

I am geared up in every aspect of camping except for this new way of sleeping.

I could use recommendations on all aspects; underquilt, top tarp, etc. In fact, I don't know enough to ask enough about what I need. I just know I laid down in my brother's hammock and it was beyond better than my thermarest pad and sleeping bag.

Bought the ninox on a whim, mostly bc of the flat lay thing and my brother said good things about it.

So please, if you have the time, help a new convert out. I have a decent budget but I don't have expertise.

Thank you.

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Honestly, youtube is your friend. There's too much in your questions to actually condense all the beginner info on this site into one thread. It's easier to give you points of where to start gathering information. Go to Shug's channel, watch all the how to videos and gear reviews. Then branch out from there. Then it will be easier to narrow down your questions to specifics subjects, concerns etc.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    Ninox double layer flat lay
    Tarp
    help?
    Insulation
    help?
    Suspension
    help?
    perfect. thank you.

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsman View Post
    perfect. thank you.
    No problem. The one tip I give when asked is go into it with an open mind. For some it is instant bliss, a "where have you been all my life" situation. For others it has to grow on them. My own personal experience; I am passionate about hammocks.....but not because of the sleep. I do feel better when I get up in the morning, from lack of pressure points, but as far as pure sleep, I have always slept better on the ground. I wake up several times in a hammock and even after trying every system there is, nothing changes that. However I'm a hiker first, camper second, hammocks are my chosen system and I will never go back to the ground because of the key advantages I need. I like the security of no air pad failure risk. I get perfect piece of mind knowing I will stay dry up off the ground in even the worst of storms. I sleep like a furnace and condensation is a huge issue for me. Hammock and Tarp are the best ways I've found to mitigate that. And a lot of smaller quirks. So for me, I'm choosing hammocks not really for the sleep factor but all the other functions. Just an interesting different take. Good luck in your journey.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    Dutch Gear Hexon 1.7
    Tarp
    Chill Gorilla
    Insulation
    DIY EB Quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar
    I only started a little over a year ago and the online resources already mentioned were a wealth of information and helped me tremendously. Second, I started in the backyard (I fortunately have trees that work) and practiced during the day then moved to an overnight trial using gear I already had from tent camping. The benefit of the backyard is if I miscalculate, I'm just steps to a warm, dry, cozy house.
    Not everyone has trees, so you might want to build a stand if you fall into that category; a search of the site will reveal several posts from what others have built.
    Like anything, to get good at it and be confident, it takes practice and mistakes to learn from.
    A day camping in the rain is better than a good day at work,
    --Shaw.

tsshaw78 is too hard to say on the trail - Just call me Shaw.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    Go to Shug's channel, watch all the how to videos and gear reviews.
    Yes Start to channel you inner Shug. Link for: Shug's YouTube Videos for new Hammockers

Images
    If you're starting from zero, just get the book.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair(s)
    Tarp
    SLD & Mtn. Fly
    Insulation
    HG 0,20,40 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing
    The book and watch all of Shug’s videos on YouTube. Then, as others have stated, keep an open mind and get to a group hang if you can. Enjoy!
    The deep mystery gives rise to the spirits -Charc

Always strive to be the best but never believe you are - Juan Manuel Fangio

Hammock
    Darien
    Tarp
    HG Hex
    Insulation
    HG and CRO
    Suspension
    Kevlar-Lapp Hitch
    I second all the advice given and would add asking yourself what are your goals or objectives. Do you plan to backpack and walk lots of miles, then definitely consider how much everything weighs and move toward the lighter gear. If you car camp, then weight is not so much an issue and opens up different possibilities. When I first got off the ground into a hammock, I wasn't always clear about that and ended up with gear that wasn't the best fit for my purpose. Like anything, it is a process!
    "Walking is man's best medicine." - Hippocrates

Hammock
    Dutch Netless, WBRR, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB SF / CB
    Insulation
    HG UQ's LL+HG TQ's
    Suspension
    CB's/TurtleTies

new convert in search of wisdom

Go to the organized hangs and check out all of the setups. Try the demos. Ask questions. People really like to talk about their best gear and let you know what didn't work. The best part is you will meet some great folks.
    "When the power of Love overcomes the Love of power. The world will know peace." ~ Jimi Hendrix
    "No matter where you go, there you are." ~ Buckaroo Banzai

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast