hex 1.6 chameleon
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    hg incubator 20
    Suspension
    dutch cinch buckle

Greets from Brooklyn!

Greets! I'm stoked to have found this forum as I continue to get my hammock setup dialed in. First, some history.

I had my first camping experience as an adult in 2012 with a borrowed tent and a good group of friends. None of them were avid campers either, but they had more experience than I did and helped introduce me to the wonders of camping. I had a great time, despite not sleeping much.

Shortly after that first camping trip, I purchased my own tent -- a Eureka Apex Solo (this was my first mistake). I thought a single person tent would be smaller and easier to carry on the motorcycle. I still wasn't aware of the hammock option, but I continued to enjoy camping despite the constant struggle of trying to actually fall asleep.

A bunch more camping trips and some years later, I upgraded my tent to a Kelty Grand Mesa 2. This was much roomier than my first, but I still wasn't finding it easy to actually fall asleep on the ground. I bought a nicer airpad, some different pillows, and thought that might help but nothing really did.

It was on the Gypsy Run 9 (big motorcycle camping trip) that I saw my first hammock in the wild. This guy had a whole Eno setup -- rainfly, bugnet, underquilt and I think what caught my eye the most was the string of LIGHTS under his fly. I was intrigued and asked him a few questions. He was friendly and explained how it all worked and told me how well he sleeps in that setup. I was sold.

When I got back home, I went online and ordered an Eno Doublenest. I'd bring it with me on camping trips, along with my tent. On one trip in 2016, I took a snooze in the hammock and the next thing I knew it was 3 in the morning and I was getting drizzled on. I was amazed how comfortable the hammock was, so I bought myself an Eno ProFly and a Guardian Bugnet and began my transition to hammock camping.

Fast-forward another couple years and I'm still enjoying my Eno setup. In 2017 I added a budget Snugpak underquilt to the mix after one particularly cold night in the woods. At this point, I thought I finally had a complete setup and was done purchasing gear.

The setup worked well and I was sleeping like I never had before. I was shocked at how comfortable it was to sleep outdoors with this setup. The hardest part was getting in and out of the thing in the middle of the night when I inevitably had to take a leak. A minor inconvenience, I thought.

The year now is 2018 and my bugnet is starting to rip. I'd been preaching the good word of hammock camping to my friends and one of them did his research and took the plunge by purchasing a Warbonnet Blackbird XLC. I got to try his setup out last weekend when we camped together and I really liked the ease of entry with the zippered bugnet. The ridgeline being inside the bugnet was also nice compared to mine which hung outside of the net.

Earlier this week, I found this forum and decided it was time. I ordered myself a DutchWare Chameleon (woodland camo) with a symmetrical bugnet and a ridgeline organizer. It was at my door days later and here I am typing my introduction to y'all. This forum was immensely helpful in making my decision to go with the Chameleon -- I only wish I'd found it sooner.

My setup now is:

Dutch Chameleon
    Eno Atlas Straps
    Eno ProFly
    Snugpak UQ

I'll be looking to upgrade my underquilt as the seasons change and I'm excited to search the forums for suggestions!
    Last edited by tamedog; 06-15-2019 at 21:12.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Welcome to HammockForums! You're in the right place...

There are quite a few of us from the area and a few members I know of that are in Brooklyn. I was born in Sheapshead Bay and lived there for years.

Regarding upgrading your UQ.. If you're looking for a winter quilt, don't wait! Once the temps drop, everyone wants to get warmer insulation and the wait time gets longer and longer!!'
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Cool story and a good introduction. Welcome to the forums where you'll find no end of opinions.
    Cheers.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Nice! Welcome to HF!
    Oooh, shiney! What does THIS button do?

Hammock
    11' Hexon 1.6, Poly D 1.3
    Tarp
    HG Standard Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    12' tree straps to
    Images
    Welcome! My first hammock was also an Eno...then I found this forum along with Dutchware and Ripstopbytheroll and entered the never-ending world of DIYing. Live in the Bronx so I hang in Harriman fairly often. Been hanging for several years now, but only got my motorcycle last year and am excited to take a camping trip with it.

The Chameleon looks like a great piece of gear!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dcolon13; 06-17-2019 at 06:43.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    Hold up. Is your name Ethan by chance?

Hammock
    hex 1.6 chameleon
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    hg incubator 20
    Suspension
    dutch cinch buckle
    Thanks for the warm welcome! I did a test hang with the chameleon yesterday when I was in NJ and I was pleased. Way more comfortable than my Eno. I'm already looking into different suspension options as the Eno straps are quite bulky.

Good call @MikekiM I'm seeing a 4 week wait for the HG incubator, so I better get that order in asap!

@Dcolon13 Nice! One of my favorite hangs so far was in Harriman a few years ago:

@Brooklyn my name is Ryan — nice to meet ya! Kinda tricky finding chill spots to hang in BK. If you've got any you'd be willing to share, please lmk.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcolon13 View Post
    Welcome! My first hammock was also an Eno...then I found this forum along with Dutchware and Ripstopbytheroll and entered the never-ending world of DIYing. Live in the Bronx so I hang in Harriman fairly often. Been hanging for several years now, but only got my motorcycle last year and am excited to take a camping trip with it.

The Chameleon looks like a great piece of gear!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Good chance I'll be in Harriman this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by tamedog View Post
    Good call @MikekiM I'm seeing a 4 week wait for the HG incubator, so I better get that order in asap!
    Four weeks is outstanding.. I've seen twice that as the seasons start to change...
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    hex 1.6 chameleon
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    hg incubator 20
    Suspension
    dutch cinch buckle
    Ok, so I grabbed a peak shelf and a cinch buckle suspension system from Dutch and I've got a 20 deg HG incubator on order — really jazzed now!

• + New Posts