Need suggestions on hammock width and tarp length

Planning on ordering a chameleon and xenon tarp at the same time, but having a hard time deciding on hammock width and tarp length. I am currently using the ENO Onelink system, and am excited about upgrading to proper gear.

I am 5'11" 225 lbs and am trying to decide if the wide chameleon is worth it. I am a side sleeper and have no problem sleeping in the short ENO.

Also, is the extra 12 inches of the 12ft tarp worth it for better coverage?

Thanks for any suggestions!

I loke the extra width: it feels so spaceous. I have no issues using an 11' tarp on an 11' hammock, personally.

Is the extra fabric on the wide an issue at all? I know the chameleon does have tieouts.

Hammock
    12' Superior Hammock
    Tarp
    Kammok Kuhli
    Insulation
    Superior / UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by MGeoWolf View Post
    Is the extra fabric on the wide an issue at all? I know the chameleon does have tieouts.
    What size is your ENO? Single or Double? Not an apples to apples comparison I know, but if the ENO is wide (double) and you’re comfortable in it, I’d probably continue to use a wide hammock.

In an ideal world, you would want to test a wide 11’ Hammock (chameleon or otherwise) to verify before buy I guess. I always go wide, but I’m taller (6’5”) and found traditional 58” hammocks just a hair too short for my liking. Others find that wide leaves some excess fabric that annoys them. It’s tough to say without trying it, but I think a good starting point is still to look at the width you’re currently accustomed to.

Then again, I would guess you could be comfortable in a standard width chameleon based on your height, however, if you’re counting grams and want to keep your chameleon as light as possible.

So yeah... I don’t know if this was a helpful answer at all :P Everyone has their own preferences, so it’s hard to give a solid answer one way or the other.

I have the double right now. I'd like to try an 11ft before I buy but I dont know anyone personally that has them. I'm sure I'll like either one.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'm 5'11" and 175 lbs. I personally prefer regular width - don't need all that floppy material. I also prefer 11 ft. tarps - I see no reason for an extra foot. It's all just more weight to me. Of course, if you're a car camper, weight doesn't matter.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by MGeoWolf View Post
    Also, is the extra 12 inches of the 12ft tarp worth it for better coverage?

Thanks for any suggestions!
    I use the HammockGear Quest with the 12-foot ridgeline and like it. Part of it may be psychological, but I think it makes it easier to ensure the hammock is well covered. As I said in another thread, I've never been unhappy with the extra foot of length on my tarp. The extra weight versus the 11-foot ridgeline version is trivial and I've not had any issues setting it up between trees.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

• + New Posts